Custom choppers are... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Custom choppers are...

MeatGrinder
02-25-2005, 23:43
for POSERS! You're a yuppy showoff if you ride one.
"Hey everyone- look at me! I think I'm real cool on my over-priced chopper thingy!"

Short Cut
02-25-2005, 23:48
They're not for me, but I wouldn't call Paul Sr. a poser.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-4/18550/IM000301Psr.JPG

MeatGrinder
02-26-2005, 00:02
He's just LUCKY they are the latest FAD, or no one would know who he is. America loves fads.
It used to be that having a Harley made you cool. But now everyone has a HD. It ain't something special to own a Harley anymore. So now those "Biker Badasses" have to move up to a chopper to feel cool.

bdhawk
02-26-2005, 12:31
i entered a contest to win a o.c.c chopper. it is said to be valued at $58,000. if i win it (fingers crossed), i will have to sell it. winnings are considered income, and i can't afford the taxes.

DarkStar
02-27-2005, 14:05
Agreed on the trendy yuppie factor of any custom 'chopper' and Paul Sr. may or may not be a poser, but he could certainly benefit from some serious meds and therapy... Only once I watched that moronic show of his and flipped it off in under 5 minutes...

;Q

Wetrudgeon
02-28-2005, 05:30
We think some of the bikes are interesting, although probably not very practical as rides.

And we heartily agree with DarkStar: There is nothing even remotely entertaining about watching that big be-whiskered Tuetel "gentleman" stalk about cursing and throwing things. He is clearly a candidate for remeadial charm school...

We trudge on.

jthuang
02-28-2005, 08:09
I dunno, I like the look of custom choppers. Then again, IMHO it doesn't really matter what anyone rides as long as they're riding ... buying any bike and then riding it for 100 miles per year (don't laugh, I've seen it) is a bit ridiculous.

Re Paul Sr. -- I think most of that stuff is staged. It's almost predictable as clockwork, so it couldn't be anything else.

1. Paul Jr. shows up late
2. Paul Sr. yells because of #1
3. Guys work on bike and place gets dirty
4. Paul Sr. yells about #3
5. A supplier screws up or is late with the parts
6. Paul Sr. yells about #5
7. The crew takes a break, playing volleyball, shooting archery or running over innocent furniture with Paul Sr.'s Expedition.
8. Surprisingly, Paul Sr. does not yell about #7
9. Bike is running behind schedule and they work late into the night.
10. Bike gets done ... no bike is ever late. ;Q

I think the AC guys are getting better. Early in the show they were nothing more than glorified assemblers ... not even a "heat and beat" organization. Now they're fabricating more and more of their stuff.

For the record, I think the whole crew (save Rick and Vince) are bombastic fools. But they have a TV show and I don't. ;J

fnfalman
02-28-2005, 12:22
Custom choppers are for people who can afford and want them. The riders are no more posers than anybody who wants to modify their rides.

It's not my cup of tea, but I wouldn't knock it.

Compy
02-28-2005, 12:50
Like them or not, they are out there DOING it. We're sitting here TALKING about it.

Who's the posers? :cool:

epsylum
03-03-2005, 22:20
Originally posted by CompensateThis!
Like them or not, they are out there DOING it. We're sitting here TALKING about it.

Who's the posers? :cool:

Good point.

I think those shows are good tv for one main reason. They are helping the motorcycle industry, period. Most people who watch the show cannot afford a custom chopper, or a Harley. However they are compelled by the show to start riding, somehow. They may start talking to people they know who ride, then maybe meet other people who ride through them, etc. Next thing you know they are taking advise from experienced riders (hopefully some are mentioning taking a class or learning on a dirtbike ;f ), but they have to buy below cost of "the fad", since they don't have that much money. So they go buy a Honda, or Yamaha, or whatever. That money goes back to the "more diversified" bike companies, so they have more money to spend on making all other kinds of bikes as well as cruisers.

It's a big circle and as long as people are getting more interested, I'm happy. Besides now motorcyles are getting more coverage as a whole. More people are recognizing bikers (of all shapes and forms) and we are losing our stigma as a group of hellions and criminals.

Now as for the actual show, it's just mindless entertainment. Just like a sitcom. I like some mechanical aspects of the show (basically olny the different things they do), but I am usually not the biggest fan of thier final product. I think Billy Lane is 10x the builder they are. anyone who can make a working hubless wheel, without researching Sbarros's designs (Billy likes to just do things, not research) in a shop as small as he has, with as few tools as he has, that's talent. Him and Jesse James are my favorite chopper makers. They use some degree of engineering and truely make stuff by hand.

That being said, I doubt, even if I had the money, I would buy a chopper. Just not my thing.

JCee
03-04-2005, 18:04
Originally posted by MeatGrinder
"Hey everyone- look at me! I think I'm real cool on my over-priced chopper thingy!"

I'd damn near bet a thousand dollars that there isn't one rider posting here that doesn't have a picture of himself sittin' on his two-wheeler. We are ALL posers.;f

Oh yeah,
http://www.kosins.com/bik1.jpg

sean o'farrell
03-04-2005, 18:22
Here's what I don't understand about those choppers:

Factory-built motorcycles are engineered. A lot of time is spent in design and stress testing components and making sure they work well together and stay together, and stop properly, et ceteral.

These chopper bikes, they're sort of put together from whatever is kicking around.

They can't possibly be as smooth as a well-built bike costing one fifth the price.

JCee
03-04-2005, 20:25
Originally posted by sean o'farrell
Here's what I don't understand about those choppers:

Factory-built motorcycles are engineered. A lot of time is spent in design and stress testing components and making sure they work well together and stay together, and stop properly, et ceteral.

These chopper bikes, they're sort of put together from whatever is kicking around.

They can't possibly be as smooth as a well-built bike costing one fifth the price.

Sean,
I'm 48. For some reason, I assume you are younger than that.:)

Some of the "chopper builders" know more about engineering, stress testing, aerodynamics, power transmission, braking, etc. than any "expert riders" will ever know. They are the engineers for some motorcycle manufacturers. They live it, think it, breath it, and dream it.

greenleaf
03-04-2005, 21:58
unfortunately choppers have become the hot yuppie fad. i have mad respect for anyone who builds a chopper in their own garage, but for all the folks that go out and spend $50k in some upscale biker botique, i got a big middle finger just for you. as for occ, i would never ride any vehicle that is constructed by people that use tape measures to build it.

green

Compy
03-04-2005, 22:35
Originally posted by greenleaf
but for all the folks that go out and spend $50k in some upscale biker botique, i got a big middle finger just for you.

That's such a piss poor attitude. They are on a bike for Christs sake. There are a lot of people who simply don't have skills, time or tools to build it themselves. It's people like you that contribute to the segregation of bikers and I wish you all would remove your heads from your asses and realise we're in the same game.

EUPHER49
03-05-2005, 01:22
Originally posted by greenleaf
i would never ride any vehicle that is constructed by people that use tape measures to build it.

What do you drive/ride?

PatinAz
03-05-2005, 03:42
Why go and bash what someone else rides? Thats dumb. The way I see it, the wind in your face is not discriminatory. As long as you ride.;c

sean o'farrell
03-05-2005, 06:08
Originally posted by JCee
Sean,
I'm 48. For some reason, I assume you are younger than that.:)

Some of the "chopper builders" know more about engineering, stress testing, aerodynamics, power transmission, braking, etc. than any "expert riders" will ever know. They are the engineers for some motorcycle manufacturers. They live it, think it, breath it, and dream it.

Uh-huh. Well, while the Tuttles are entertaining, and while I do watch American Chopper, I've not seen anything on any of their shows that indicate they know anything about engineering, stress testing, aerodynamics, the transmission of power, et cetera. They know know to cut, roll and weld metal, for sure.

Living, thinking, breathing hard science usually is not a substitute for being formally educated in it. A two-wheeled vehicle is under a lot of stress; I'd like mine engineered and built by people who understand that you just can't cut holes and make welds in the frame anywhere you like.

fnfalman
03-07-2005, 11:38
Choppers aren't meant to be fine samples of engineering. They are artistic expressions. Of course one's taste varied. I don't care much for most of the chopper designs except for the one that OCC did for Jay Leno. It was all black and had styling cues from the 1930s. It was beautiful.

If a person's taste in choppers ran also toward fine engineering then there's Confederate Motorcycles in Louisiana. It's not surprising to see their choppers having carbon fiber parts, forks from Showa and Ohlin, Brembo brakes, Marsechini wheels, etc.

Of course there are chopper builders who turn out things that are neither art nor engineering as well.

sean o'farrell
03-07-2005, 13:14
Originally posted by fnfalman
Choppers aren't meant to be fine samples of engineering. They are artistic expressions. Of course one's taste varied. I don't care much for most of the chopper designs except for the one that OCC did for Jay Leno. It was all black and had styling cues from the 1930s. It was beautiful.

If a person's taste in choppers ran also toward fine engineering then there's Confederate Motorcycles in Louisiana. It's not surprising to see their choppers having carbon fiber parts, forks from Showa and Ohlin, Brembo brakes, Marsechini wheels, etc.

Of course there are chopper builders who turn out things that are neither art nor engineering as well.

I'm not claiming that choppers should be fine examples of engineering. I like the looks of some of them. But I am astonished while viewing the "build" process of how little attention is paid to any kind of engineering matters whatsoever.

I do a "bit" of welding, and had to learn quite a bit about metallurgy to do the kind of welding I do. O pay attention to where I am welding or cutting, and what I am attaching or removing, and how. The guys I see on the "chopper" TV shows know how to work metal, but I don't see that they know much about welding it. You mess with a steel bike frame the wrong way, and you cut its strength significantly.

fnfalman
03-07-2005, 14:27
You are correct. Most of these guys have rudimentary knowledges about the engineering and sciences. They are handy with metal works and that sort of thing, and well, these things are bar hoppers. They aren't designed and made to work well like a factory motorcycle. Although Confederate Motorcyles are different. They actually engineered their "choppers". So's Ecosse.

greenleaf
03-08-2005, 17:26
i currently ride an 03' suzuki r 1000. i have owned several cruisers and sportbikes. i beg to differ with you CompensateThis!, i dont have my head in my ass, and i dont ride a motorcycle cause i saw it on a tv show.

green

fnfalman
03-08-2005, 18:41
and i dont ride a motorcycle cause i saw it on a tv show.

------------------------------------------------------

Of course, you never read any magazines on motorcycle and motorcycling either, righhhht? You just went out and bought a particular motorcycle out entirely of your own accords and without any sort of external influences?

Compy
03-08-2005, 18:50
I have yet to see my Honda 919 on ANY TV show.

fnfalman
03-08-2005, 19:38
I bought my bike because that model was featured in a movie and I was sooooo enthralled with it that I must get one...nearly two years later. I'm gonna cruise Rodeo Drive and see if Uma Thurman would like to take a ride with me.

sean o'farrell
03-08-2005, 21:05
I bought my bike because that model was featured in a movie and I was sooooo enthralled with it that I must get one...nearly two years later. I'm gonna cruise Rodeo Drive and see if Uma Thurman would like to take a ride with me.

Now there's a man with a plan!

wanderinwalker
03-09-2005, 16:42

Good luck to ya man!

I admit, I bought my SV650S because of all the press the model has recieved. It is an excellent little scoot, reliable, relatively affordable, handles well, is comfortable for a 400 miles day (mostly, sort of, as long as the speeds stay above 35/40-per). No, it doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME!!!" like an OCC or WCC bike does, but then again, I can't afford that and don't want it. But if it's your cup of tea, more power to you. Just don't pick on me too much when I'm out riding in the rain, because I don't mind riding mine hard and putting 'er away wet. (And of course New England weather forecasts are sooooo reliable! ;Q )

fnfalman
03-09-2005, 18:35
I didn't buy the bike because it was in the movie Payback. Hell, I didn't even watch the movie until after I bought the bike and found out that it was featured in the flick. I was just making a funny.

Who cares how and why people buy their bikes. Why do people have to criticize what others do? If the yuppies can afford $100K custom bikes, more power to them. I don't care if they ride choppers and trying to pretend to be Marlon Brando or Peter Fonda. Or they're riding $40K Ducati replica racers pretending to be MotoGP champions. That's their business. That's their deal. I'll wave to them if I cross their paths just like I'd wave to a Vespa scooter rider.

epsylum
03-17-2005, 22:48
I'll wave to them if I cross their paths just like I'd wave to a Vespa scooter rider.

So do the DUI guys on the Razz and Elites count too? Or, do you just shun them?

Seriously though, Back before I traded 2 wheels for 4 (my quad), I would ride to my classes I took at night at a community college. One big reason I liked to do that, other than it gave me a reason to ride, is the motorcycle parking is right up front and car parking there is horrible. Well, I was leaving and warming my TL1000S up while strapping on my helmet and gearing up after class, this guy with missing teeth and a ripped shirt is un-chaining his Elite from the "Motorcycle parking" sign. He started to seriously try to talk bikes with me. He was like "yeah, only 4 more payments and she's mine". I wans't a jerk to him, I just like "cool", but it was blatantly obvious he had to ride it because of DUIs. I just got on and rode off.

It was just kind of funny to me.

quinch
03-20-2005, 02:11
You can't ride an OCC chopper, or most of the others you see on TV. They are strictly lawn ornaments, at best capable of waddling from block to block.
Even in the tightly controlled camera shots the bikes seem unstable and clumsy. Not to mention the aformentioned problems in build quality

Not one of them could follow me or my friends on a ride.
If it's a game of beating the Joneses in the neighborhood go buy one, but don't expect to go riding.

Some of them seem a bit like art, but riding? No. They are only hangar queens.

That's the reason I don't really think much of them. I'll look
at 'em, but I'm not interested in owning one.

epsylum
03-20-2005, 22:48
Originally posted by quinch
You can't ride an OCC chopper, or most of the others you see on TV. They are strictly lawn ornaments, at best capable of waddling from block to block.
Even in the tightly controlled camera shots the bikes seem unstable and clumsy. Not to mention the aformentioned problems in build quality

Not one of them could follow me or my friends on a ride.
If it's a game of beating the Joneses in the neighborhood go buy one, but don't expect to go riding.

Some of them seem a bit like art, but riding? No. They are only hangar queens.

That's the reason I don't really think much of them. I'll look
at 'em, but I'm not interested in owning one.

They can be ridden, only if the owner is willing to put up with all that comes with it. There are plenty of hardcore chopper guys who ride their bikes long distances. Lots get bad backs from the hard tail suspension, but that's what they like. In fact most like to make fun of the trailer queen chopper riders. They bikes will do it, it's a question of if the rider can (or wants to). Personally, I can't sit through a movie without my butt hurting, so I know I cannot do that, but I won't knock anybody who can.

I know for a fact Jesse James rides the living crap outta his bikes and the same goes for Billy Lane. But, they are hard-core chopper guys. Not some lawyer who decided one day to get into it becasue they saw a show on the discovery channel and thought it was cool. They are the real thing.

fnfalman
03-21-2005, 09:41
And the question is so what if a lawyer guy decided to be a chopper owner cum part-time rider? Who's suppose to be deserving of riding a chopper? Somebody fully tattooed out and get into bar brawls?

We all have delusions of grandeurs.

das028
03-21-2005, 09:43
Custom choppers are...

HATER!!!!

quinch
03-25-2005, 01:02
Originally posted by epsylum
They can be ridden, only if the owner is willing to put up with all that comes with it. There are plenty of hardcore chopper guys who ride their bikes long distances. Lots get bad backs from the hard tail suspension, but that's what they like. In fact most like to make fun of the trailer queen chopper riders. They bikes will do it, it's a question of if the rider can (or wants to). Personally, I can't sit through a movie without my butt hurting, so I know I cannot do that, but I won't knock anybody who can.

I know for a fact Jesse James rides the living crap outta his bikes and the same goes for Billy Lane. But, they are hard-core chopper guys. Not some lawyer who decided one day to get into it becasue they saw a show on the discovery channel and thought it was cool. They are the real thing.

None of them will put in 600 miles on saturday, then next saturday, maybe sunday, etc. They can't. The bikes aren't reliable. They profile from spot to spot, talk alot, get their picture taken, which is all good. I don't have any problem with that. To each their own. Some of the bikes are pretty good looking.
You want a wild excercise in design, you sacrifice reliability, At least in the "custom" world.

quinch
03-25-2005, 01:07
And the question is so what if a lawyer guy decided to be a chopper owner cum part-time rider? Who's suppose to be deserving of riding a chopper? Somebody fully tattooed out and get into bar brawls?

We all have delusions of grandeurs.

If he wants to head out with me on a spin through the Beatty / Death Valley loop, I don't care if he's a lawyer! Or tattooed. :cool:

ghostrider1
03-25-2005, 04:15
When I first started ridieng I installed apes on everything I rode. Back then it was Illegal and people were scared of anyone riding a chopper. Now its a ****ing fasion statement. hell I ride mine to Daytona and back every year. (983 miles) each way. Who's the poser now *****?Want to ride with me....fine if not fine to. I aint here to please you. I ride because its a way of life. I will puit 5-6,000 miles on my ride each year. Still want to ride with me? I stop for fuel and food,sleep when I stop,Don't like it?? get the **** on down the road.;Z ;Z

seed
03-25-2005, 05:18
Originally posted by jthuang
I dunno, I like the look of custom choppers. Then again, IMHO it doesn't really matter what anyone rides as long as they're riding ... buying any bike and then riding it for 100 miles per year (don't laugh, I've seen it) is a bit ridiculous.

Re Paul Sr. -- I think most of that stuff is staged. It's almost predictable as clockwork, so it couldn't be anything else.

1. Paul Jr. shows up late
2. Paul Sr. yells because of #1
3. Guys work on bike and place gets dirty
4. Paul Sr. yells about #3
5. A supplier screws up or is late with the parts
6. Paul Sr. yells about #5
7. The crew takes a break, playing volleyball, shooting archery or running over innocent furniture with Paul Sr.'s Expedition.
8. Surprisingly, Paul Sr. does not yell about #7
9. Bike is running behind schedule and they work late into the night.
10. Bike gets done ... no bike is ever late. ;Q

I think the AC guys are getting better. Early in the show they were nothing more than glorified assemblers ... not even a "heat and beat" organization. Now they're fabricating more and more of their stuff.

For the record, I think the whole crew (save Rick and Vince) are bombastic fools. But they have a TV show and I don't. ;J

Well said.

Chopshopchopper
03-27-2005, 08:35
Like the lowriders of the motorcycle world. Not ment to be real fast or handle that great. Just look better than others. They are cool to look at and cool to ride. It is an image, apearance thing.

bdhawk
03-27-2005, 08:55
some choppers look really cool. i really don't like riding them.
the ones with the big rake and extended front ends handle very badly. i don't like the hardtails, you are two inches shorter after a couple of hundred miles.

someone mentioned lack of engenieering skills. the assemblers seen on tv probabally do lack those skills. but the componet makers frequently do have excellent backgrounds. the v-twin engines that they frequently use are awesome. lots of horsepower and stump pulling torque. what really spooks me about the assemblers on tv is when they start drilling holes willy-nilly, start cutting stuff off, and grinding down large areas of the frame so something will 'fit'.

Mad Ryan
04-02-2005, 18:50
What really cracks me up is that most of the aftermarket stuff as waaaaaay better engineered than the junk that Harley produces that it's based on. Want a real eye opener? Watch the documentary on the development of the V-Rod. It's SCARY!

I'm going to stick to admittedly Japanese bikes till someone from America starts building a bike that fits my needs (reliable, sporty, economical, looks good, comfy, etc.) without all hype and huge price tag. Oh, I almost forgot, it's gotta have over 100HP... ;Q

BTW, I make the stuff that engineers design, and you should see the whacked out prints they send us. Totally clueless about real world material properties and dimensional specs.

TreeTrooper
04-03-2005, 09:53
Originally posted by ghostrider1
When I first started ridieng I installed apes on everything I rode. Back then it was Illegal and people were scared of anyone riding a chopper. Now its a ****ing fasion statement. hell I ride mine to Daytona and back every year. (983 miles) each way. Who's the poser now *****?Want to ride with me....fine if not fine to. I aint here to please you. I ride because its a way of life. I will puit 5-6,000 miles on my ride each year. Still want to ride with me? I stop for fuel and food,sleep when I stop,Don't like it?? get the **** on down the road.;Z ;Z Dude, 5-6K a year is nothing. I live in PA (not great bike weather) and put on a lot more miles than that. I have made the ride to Daytona, and to Sturgis (and Lake George, blah,blahblah...). With gas hitting 2.19 per gallon this week, I'll be putting even more miles on.

Mad Ryan
04-03-2005, 10:22
Originally posted by TreeTrooper
Dude, 5-6K a year is nothing. I live in PA (not great bike weather) and put on a lot more miles than that. I have made the ride to Daytona, and to Sturgis (and Lake George, blah,blahblah...). With gas hitting 2.19 per gallon this week, I'll be putting even more miles on.

I was going to say, I sold my first sportbike when it was only 3 years old (and I got it on a year end closeout deal) and it had 36,000mi on it. I wouldn't necessarily brag to people about racking up that many miles, as I know BMW and winger guys that do that in a summer. It's all relative. My longest day to date was Los Angeles to Corvallis OR, about 1100 miles or so on my ZX-9. That more or less sucked, but only because I was cold at the end of it. Had it not been memorial day weekend I'd have been fine.

Course I also know a Harley guy who buys a new Harley every year, Trailers it to Sturgis and Bike week, rides it around for a couple of hundred miles, and then sells it. I give that guy so much crap he won't even talk to me anymore. He doesn't even own a bike to ride in the "off season" as I've come to calling it. The last straw was when I asked if the wifey had all their leathers all pressed and ready for the "big game" I don't understand how someone can ride just a little... It's so much fun!

wanderinwalker
04-03-2005, 17:29
Originally posted by ghostrider1
When I first started ridieng I installed apes on everything I rode. Back then it was Illegal and people were scared of anyone riding a chopper. Now its a ****ing fasion statement. hell I ride mine to Daytona and back every year. (983 miles) each way. Who's the poser now *****?Want to ride with me....fine if not fine to. I aint here to please you. I ride because its a way of life. I will puit 5-6,000 miles on my ride each year. Still want to ride with me? I stop for fuel and food,sleep when I stop,Don't like it?? get the **** on down the road.;Z ;Z

5-6k a year is about average for a summer over here in New Hampshire too. My goal this year is a solid 6,000+ miles, though it might cut into fishing time to get that far (maybe, we'll see how bad it rains this year).

I stop to eat, sleep, refuel and whatever other business needs attending too. Many times the rain doesn't even stop me from riding. I don't ride anything even remotely Harley-esque. But I still have fun and will wave to anybody on a bike coming the other way. It is up to them whether or not they care to wave back. ^c

In the end it is not what you ride, but that you are riding. And sometimes tearing up a curvy stretch of road that was just begging for it... ;f

quinch
04-07-2005, 01:19
I'd like to know where bar height was limited by law, "back then"...

;f

Bullwinkle J Moose
04-10-2005, 11:30
Custom choppers are OK if that is your cup of tea. They are fine for being seen on, beautiful to behold, but generally are crappy for what I do with motorcycles....ride them!

Mad Ryan
04-10-2005, 11:32
Originally posted by Bullwinkle J Moose
Custom choppers are OK if that is your cup of tea. They are fine for being seen on, beautiful to behold, but generally are crappy for what I do with motorcycles....ride them!

The question begs to be answered, is it a motorcycle? Or is it a fashion accessory?

fnfalman
04-11-2005, 10:43
The question begs to be answered, is it a motorcycle? Or is it a fashion accessory?
-------------------------------------------------

Yeah and the crotch rocket riders didn't buy their bikes because they are cool, right? Every sports bike owner is a MotoGP aspirant, right?

Mad Ryan
04-11-2005, 18:17
-------------------------------------------------

Yeah and the crotch rocket riders didn't buy their bikes because they are cool, right? Every sports bike owner is a MotoGP aspirant, right?

Exactly. Most guys I know with HD's in general, and Choppers in particular use them as fashion accessories, rather than ride them.

fnfalman
04-11-2005, 18:27
No more than the post-teens riding CBRs and R6s trying to look like street stuntazz or pretending to be Tommy Hayden.

Let's face it, motorcycles are more than just for riding. They are fashion statements as well and only the most deluded or severely in self-denial would think otherwise.

wanderinwalker
04-11-2005, 20:20
I don't know who is worse, the guys my age with R6s, CBRs, GSX-Rs et al pretending to be super-men while wearing backward hats, sunglasses, shorts and sandals, or the RUB-type Harley riders who are "non-comformist" type yet all wear the same black-leather outfit that takes half a dead-cow to make! (Not that I have anything at all against wearing half a dead cow to keep your hide intact.)

I personally like to ride, and thus I am drawn to things like 04 and newer HD Sportsters (ya know, the rubber mounted ones), Dyna Super Glides, SV650s, FZ6s and 1s, Z-1000s, Bandit 600/1200, Katanas, GSX-Rs, R-1s and 6s, etc, etc... ;Q Actually, the probability is high that once my current SV gets axed off it will be replaced by a rubber-mounted Sporty, likely an 883 with future big-bore kit. Of course, even then I won't be free of the electrical systems that can go TU at the worst times. (Why is my speedo reading 30 instead of 60 like it was a minute ago? Uh-oh, now it's telling me I'm doing 80 in 2nd. ;P )

quinch
04-12-2005, 01:37
Well, we're all riders.

With maybe the exception of, ironically, ghostriderI'm13.

I like most of the sportbike guys I meet, they are up on the latest technology. I like most of the cruiser guys, they know where to get decent saddlebags. Both are hard to come by.

I wave to everybody on a cycle. Even epsylum. :cool:

fnfalman
04-12-2005, 11:16
I wouldn't mind getting into the sports bike scene when my skills are sharp enough. Except that I gotta lose the beer keg otherwise I can't reach the handle bar.;g

epsylum
04-12-2005, 14:20
I wave to everybody on a cycle. Even epsylum. :cool:

Hey whats that supposed to mean?;f

For the record, I am not a cruiser guy.

My 2 streetbikes were a 84 Kawasaki GPZ 1100 and a 2000 Suzuki TL1000S.

Currently I ride with four wheels. As in a quad. Specifically a 2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 (gotta love the fact that there isn't any speed limits off-road). After I get that paid off, I plan on getting another bike.

What kind, I am not sure. Definately soemthing very sporty, but still somewhat comfortable. Hayabusa, ZRX1200, and the Z1000, all look very nice to nice to me. Maybe I'll even try to find a good deal on a used Bandit 1200.

But I cannot stand by and do nothing when people are making blanket statements about a certain group of riders (i.e. chopper's are for posers). Some do pose on choppers. I also have seen TONS of posers on sportbikes. The kind that think they are badasses on a clapped out FZR600 and don't wear a helmet because they are worried it might mess-up thier perfectly jelled hair. I see plenty of posers on Goldwings who want you to think they travel fro NY to LA and back every week. I see plenty of posers on dirtbikes. They have evry doo-dad go fast part on their bike and still get passed by guys on stock 125s. I see plenty of posers on "drag bikes". As in a stretched and lowered Katana 600. Oh I bet that is scary fast ;Q .

The point is, there are posers everywhere. No matter what you do. Just because some poeple do something you wouldn't and other people wish to emulate those who do, doesn't mean the whole bunch are posers.

Personally, I hate Goldwings (if you want that much junk with you, buy a car), but there are someguys who DO ride the living crap out of them and put more miles on their bike in 3 months than most people put on their car all year.

:soap:

Sorry I had to clear the air.

quinch
04-14-2005, 00:46
Currently I ride with four wheels. As in a quad
You're still a cager.....;N

Besides that, I think the reason the current crop of fad "choppers" gets so much crap is because they are just not functional.

That Goldwing can go from LA to NY.
The GSX1000 can do track days.
A VTX can haul you along all day with the wind in your face.

I just don't see any redeeming factor for the "choppers". If it's not suited for riding, that takes the human equation out of it. It's just a lump.

P.S.
I'd LOVE a TL1000S. I check the classifieds now and then, hoping.

epsylum
04-14-2005, 08:21
You're still a cager.....;N

Ummmm. Last time I checked there wasn't a cage on my four wheeler. I should know I have fallen off of it quite a bit.;)

There are some choppers that are just a good at doing what a VTX does, as a VTX. Not all choppers are hardtail, slammed, super-stretched, trailer queens. I wouldn't even second guess the engine reliability of most of them since they like to use crate motors alot. Those come from companies that all they do is make motors, like S&S. Granted the Honda will run longer in the long run, but it is a honda (unless plagued by some stupid electronic doo-dad that breaks and messes everything up, which happens to hondas from time to time). Some shoppers have cushy air ride suspenion on the back. I don;t doubt that some people can ride a custom chopper long distances and I know that some people do.

Personally, the TL I had sucked at going long distances. My wrists hurt after about 1 1/2 hours. Not mention my family jewels would go numb from the V-twin buzzing at speed. The GPz rolled out on the highway like it was made for it.

I want something more comfortable next.

Mad Ryan
04-15-2005, 23:20
Originally posted by epsylum
Ummmm. Last time I checked there wasn't a cage on my four wheeler. I should know I have fallen off of it quite a bit.;)

There are some choppers that are just a good at doing what a VTX does, as a VTX. Not all choppers are hardtail, slammed, super-stretched, trailer queens. I wouldn't even second guess the engine reliability of most of them since they like to use crate motors alot. Those come from companies that all they do is make motors, like S&S. Granted the Honda will run longer in the long run, but it is a honda (unless plagued by some stupid electronic doo-dad that breaks and messes everything up, which happens to hondas from time to time). Some shoppers have cushy air ride suspenion on the back. I don;t doubt that some people can ride a custom chopper long distances and I know that some people do.

Personally, the TL I had sucked at going long distances. My wrists hurt after about 1 1/2 hours. Not mention my family jewels would go numb from the V-twin buzzing at speed. The GPz rolled out on the highway like it was made for it.

I want something more comfortable next.

Try out a 2002 or 2003 ZX-9. Great bike. I love mine and while I have thought about upgrading to some of the new literbikes, all it takes is a nice long ride in the twisties with some guys on other sportbikes to convince me that I want to keep it. In fact, today I chewed up a guy on an '05 R-1 pretty good. He's coming off a 600 and is on arguably the best handling bike you can buy in it's class. 3 of us rode some killer twisties today, and the weather was awesome! Warm clear pavement, and hundreds of miles of twisty backroads. What else could I want.

The point of my little rant is that this dude was having to stand up on the pegs and shake out his hands and all sorts of antics to stay sort of comfy on the bike, and I was just flowing along through the corners.

If you want something that you sit up on, I'd score a Triumph speed triple, or a Kawi Z-1000. The speed triple is pure SEX! I love it's new looks! And I've heard they handle!

epsylum
04-18-2005, 08:14
Originally posted by Mad Ryan
Try out a 2002 or 2003 ZX-9. Great bike. I love mine and while I have thought about upgrading to some of the new literbikes, all it takes is a nice long ride in the twisties with some guys on other sportbikes to convince me that I want to keep it. In fact, today I chewed up a guy on an '05 R-1 pretty good. He's coming off a 600 and is on arguably the best handling bike you can buy in it's class. 3 of us rode some killer twisties today, and the weather was awesome! Warm clear pavement, and hundreds of miles of twisty backroads. What else could I want.

The point of my little rant is that this dude was having to stand up on the pegs and shake out his hands and all sorts of antics to stay sort of comfy on the bike, and I was just flowing along through the corners.

If you want something that you sit up on, I'd score a Triumph speed triple, or a Kawi Z-1000. The speed triple is pure SEX! I love it's new looks! And I've heard they handle!

Yeah I know all about the Z-1000^7 ^7 ^7

I will proabaly get a Bandit 12000 of some sort. Comfy, sporty and not to mention my brother has enough parts to put together 3 91-92 GSX-R 1100s which happen to use the same base engine as the Bandit, so free upgragdes and parts.

I bet I can find a First gen 1200 in good condition for under 5 grand and my insurace won't be so high either.