Fly Fishermen, I Have a Question.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishermen, I Have a Question....

Nalapombu
02-27-2005, 15:48
Hey all,

I have been fishing for a lot of my life. It has been mostly bass, catfish and carp so you know the kind of equipment I am familiar with. I have also fished in the ocean a few times and enjoyed that a LOT.
When it comes to fly fishing, I have always been intrigued by it. I have fooled with a really CHEAP outift once or twice and, after I got done untangling myself, tossed it aside. I can pretty much follow the fly fishing with the trout or panfish. Fish hits you pull him in, more or less, with little or no use of the reel. That seems like it's no problem at all.
Where I run into a problem is when I see people fishing for BIG fish like Tarpon and Sailfish with a flyrod. They cast and have that wad of line at their feet, but I never get how they transition from the line at the feet to fighting the fish with the reel.
With those large and powerful fish when they hit, they hit hard and fast. If you were using a flyrod with that line in your hands, what do you do? Just let it all go at once? That would prolly break your leader. How do you handle line being rapidly pulled out of your hand without getting cut or burned? You surely can't hold onto that line and let it slide through your hands until it gets to the reel.
When these guys hook a 100 pound Tarpon, how do they get rid of the line that's at their feet where they can fight the fish using the drag of the reel?
Someone PLEASE explain this to me...

Thanks
Nala

Wet Dog
02-27-2005, 22:09
I can't address the Tarpon/Sailfish scenario but we have some pretty good fighting fish here in the Pacific NorthWET in the form of Salmon and Steelhead. I usually use a 7 so if he's big, I'm going to see my backing.

If I get a take after I've stripped back a bunch of line I feed it out to him keeping the tension by letting the line run through my fingers. Once he hits my reel I will let him fight the reel unless he's headed into the sticks and then I figure the risk of adding more pressure palming the reel is better than him breaking me off on a log.

The nicest fish I caught last year took me on two runs. Once into some roots and I managed to turn him but he jetted out into the current I was literally chasing him down river to to keep the line as short as possible. When I finally stopped him in some riffles above another set of rapids. My pards were laughin it up seeing me sprint (not really an accurate discription but it felt like I was) after this ironhead. I''m not sure how far into my backing he got but it seemed like a lot.

I'll typically run a stouter tippet than a lot of guys. I don't want to tire the fish too much fighting him because I release them, except for a salmon or two I catch in the salt. Trick em, hook em, haul em in and let em go. Sometimes they aren't very cooperative.

Hoingshiba
02-28-2005, 21:19
I have never fished for them but I have read a ton about it. Usually when those boys feel the hook, they GO, fast. I would think that you would let them have it and have your reel set low enough so as to protect your tippet. Personally, catching huge fish has never been a big draw for me. I would rather catch dinks in the middle of the mountains where i know that I am the only one within miles, and there you really dont have to worry about such things... yeah... i'm sure that was about as helpful to you as **** on a rooster. - T

gatorfish
03-01-2005, 06:34
Originally posted by Wet Dog

If I get a take after I've stripped back a bunch of line I feed it out to him keeping the tension by letting the line run through my fingers. Once he hits my reel I will let him fight the reel unless he's headed into the sticks and then I figure the risk of adding more pressure palming the reel is better than him breaking me off on a log.

exactly.

lomfs24
03-01-2005, 23:35
Originally posted by Hoingshiba
I would rather catch dinks in the middle of the mountains where i know that I am the only one within miles, and there you really dont have to worry about such things.- T Now, here's a guy who really knows what life is all about. This right here is the best fishing ever known to man.

gatorfish
03-02-2005, 05:47
Try stalking through clear blue, shin deep water and throw to a weary bonefish then have it go on 2-3 100yards runs.

Or while surrounded by mangroves in a knee deep grass flat, have a tailing red show itself 50 feet in front of you.

While trout fishing in mountain streams is great, you can get the solitude, a very challenging hunt and hard fighting fish in the salt.

http://www.saltwaterangler.com/photos/key_west_angler_photo21.jpg

Wet Dog
03-02-2005, 07:24
Originally posted by Hoingshiba
I would rather catch dinks in the middle of the mountains where i know that I am the only one within miles, and there you really dont have to worry about such things... yeah... i'm sure that was about as helpful to you as **** on a rooster. - T

That would be a good day! I must admit, chasing trout in mountain streams and lakes with a 3 or 4 weight is a lot of fun and the success rate is a lot better.

Solitude is getting tough to come by but I sure appreciate it when I find it. Those are the days I'll remember for the rest of my life.

nickE10mm
03-04-2005, 09:15
Originally posted by gatorfish
Try stalking through clear blue, shin deep water and throw to a weary bonefish then have it go on 2-3 100yards runs.

Or while surrounded by mangroves in a knee deep grass flat, have a tailing red show itself 50 feet in front of you.

While trout fishing in mountain streams is great, you can get the solitude, a very challenging hunt and hard fighting fish in the salt.

http://www.saltwaterangler.com/photos/key_west_angler_photo21.jpg

Thats what I love so much about flyfishing - its like a hunt. I've been a fisherman and hunter all my life, but I've always been slightly more partial to hunting. The beauty of flyfishing, whether in mountain streams or stalking the clear blue, is that flyfishing is not only an artform but typically a great HUNT. The method in which you go for the fish is typcially a stalk based on stealth and tact. I love it!