Painting a spoiler for my car. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Painting a spoiler for my car.

vart
02-28-2005, 20:14
I bought a 2005 Nissan Sentra S a few weeks ago for my new job, which involves a 150-mile round trip commute every day.
It gets great gas mileage and seems to be a very well put together car.
However, it is really boring to look at.
So, I went on Ebay and bought a factory rear spoiler for it off of a wrecked Sentra SE-R.
The spoiler is a light gold color and my car is a light charcoal gray.
I need some tips on painting it.
My plan is to wet sand the spoiler to remove any imperfections and to prep the paint for a coat of the proper color. Then, I want to use some of that matching OEM paint that you can find in various auto stores and just rattle can it in a paint booth.
I know that using a spray can is not ideal, but since the spoiler is so small, I'm hoping to get acceptable results for the least amount of cost.
If it does not go as well as I hope, I'll have to take it to a paint shop and have it sprayed.
Any tips on how to get the best results? Sources for the best quality OEM paint in a can?
How much would a body shop charge to respray a spoiler?

Ghetto
02-28-2005, 20:24
What I would do is find a local Nissan dealer and find a painter that works there. Give him your paint code and $50 and it'll be done. A normal paint shop will charge $100 - $150.

Scrappy
03-02-2005, 19:05
I body shop should charge a max of $100.

Ghetto
03-02-2005, 21:08
Originally posted by Scrappy
I body shop should charge a max of $100.

You're a body shop ;P

;e

Scrappy
03-02-2005, 21:47
Originally posted by Ghetto
You're a body shop ;P

;e
Sorry
A body shop;)

streeter69
03-03-2005, 06:58
Vart drive by some used car lots. You chould be able to find a mobile touchup guy. Or you can hit a local paint shop. Some of the better paint shop can actually put a mixed paint in a rattle can. Remember all new cars have a base coat and a clear coat.

vart
03-09-2005, 21:15
The cheapest solution I found was custom ordering a can of spray paint on the internet for $17.95.
None of the major paint brands like Duracolor offer my color in their $5 a can paint (Nissan Radium, KV9) ;g .
$20 bucks to get a matching color is still not too bad. Body shops around here want $150 to paint it.

phxtravis
03-09-2005, 21:53
NAPA can match the paint on YOUR car(some manufacturers have different code numbers for the same "color" due to some variations), mix and put it in a spray can for you. I couldnt give you an aproximate cost but you would have to buy atleast 1 pint of paint. Also I would completely sand down the part because not using the proper base color could cause the topcoat to appear different.

vart
03-10-2005, 05:56
That's good to know, I'll stop by a Napa tonight on my way home and check it out.

phxtravis
03-10-2005, 07:30
I forgot to add, it would probably be best if you went to a corporate NAPA. A jobber might not know/want to do it.

CZ-75A
03-10-2005, 15:11
Spray cans generally suck for patterning the spray effectively.

vart
03-11-2005, 20:57
I stopped by a bigger Napa store tonight and picked up a can of custom-mixed spray paint for only $10;P .

I can't believe I've never done that before; 11 ounces of custom-mixed paint in a high quality spray can (has the wider spray pattern nozzle) for only $10 seems like a steal.

Ford302Glock21
03-17-2005, 21:27
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my new rear bumper which is urethane. Don't want to leave it raw but dont know what to use as primer.

CZ-75A
03-21-2005, 11:29
I didn't get into the locked post in GNG, but let me say that the new grill and a spoiler for what is a cheap econobox that is meant solely for basic transportation is NOT a smart purchase and ought to go back on eBay (along with any antique appliances you've got left). Other than that, good luck and consider using eBay to sell old junk like 1930s toasters you find in flea markets to those with too much time and money on their hands.

CGuns
03-21-2005, 20:27
Agree with CZ's post 110%.

I don't know what you are doing my friend.

A. Why even get the spoiler if you are going to half ass it on the paint job? That is just stupid. E-Bay it and don't put it on your car and sell it for the $!

CGuns
03-21-2005, 20:28
Originally posted by Ford302Glock21
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my new rear bumper which is urethane. Don't want to leave it raw but dont know what to use as primer.

Most good body shops should be able to help you. Urethane of PolyUrethane is pretty common for bumpers today. Ask a Benz body shop. They can help.

CGuns

CGuns
03-21-2005, 20:33
Why are you even buying this garbage and wasting your time with it?

CZ-75A
03-22-2005, 11:27
Originally posted by CGuns
Most good body shops should be able to help you. Urethane of PolyUrethane is pretty common for bumpers today. Ask a Benz body shop. They can help.

CGuns

Whatever you use should have flex-additive in it to keep it from cracking as the urethane flexes.