IPSC lefties [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IPSC lefties

Motox
03-01-2005, 06:24
Does or has any of you lefties shot IPSC and how do you do against righties? Is it a disadvantage to shoot left or are you just as fast?

TheTam
03-04-2005, 14:11
I haven't shot IPSC yet, just IDPA, but Roy Stedman of Austin is a lefty and he's shot a lot of IPSC. A month or two ago, he made Master, so I 'spect he does just fine. (The classifications go: Master, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, Novice, unranked.)

Right now, I'm Novice, but if it doesn't rain tomorrow I'm looking to move up in the classifier match down at Texas Tactical in Hays County! "Weeeelll, we're movin' on uuuuppp...to the east side..." oh wait, I'm white...nevermind. ;)

Wulfenite
03-04-2005, 14:36
I think lefties are at a slight disadvantage. Two reasonse:

1) Good course designers will set up the course to facilitate keeping the muzzles down range. Of course that's mostly muzzles carried in right hands. For instance on COF's that traverse the range its easier for a righty to run to the right and a lefty to run to the left because of the way your hand naturally folds across your chest. So more often that not a stage that traverses will go to the right which makes it safer and easier for the righty.

2)Righty's also tend to avoid shooting problems that involve left side baracades because is harder for a righty.

The flip side is most lefty's are more ambi so when you do have to switch hands its a little less ackward.

Brian Dover
03-05-2005, 07:10
There's a lefty here by that name who does pretty well against us "normal" people. Hope he chimes in .
Wulfenite has a point about the stage designers being right-centric. When they make the excuse that they always run stages left to right because of "safety concerns", I usually shake my head and laugh at 'em. If you can't safely and competently move in any and all directions while shooting a stage, you need to practice a bunch more..

TheTam
03-05-2005, 15:24
And YES, there was no rain, and we DID have the classifier, and I AM now a marksman! :) :) :) I am one happy woman.

eljay45
03-06-2005, 07:15
Originally posted by Wulfenite

1) Good course designers will set up the course to facilitate keeping the muzzles down range. Of course that's mostly muzzles carried in right hands.

A good course designer shouldn't favor left or right handed shooters. It wouldn't be much of a challenge if every stage has you shooting from the same side of a barricade or moving in the same direction every time. Sometimes the stage works better for lefties somtimes for righthanded shooters. A good course designer will understand that.

As far as safety I agree with the previous poster. If you can't keep your muzzle in a safe direction you need some more practice.

Personally I don't feel at all disadvantaged by being left handed. I actually think the controls on most pistols are easier and faster for a southpaw.

As far as the stages go I don't have any problem moving to or shooting from my weak side. I have been adapting to a righthanded world all of my life so it is not a big deal. I think I shoot a "right handed stage " much better than most right handed shooters shoot a "left handed stage"

KY Gun Geek
03-17-2005, 08:45
Originally posted by Wulfenite

1) Good course designers will set up the course to facilitate keeping the muzzles down range. Of course that's mostly muzzles carried in right hands. For instance on COF's that traverse the range its easier for a righty to run to the right and a lefty to run to the left because of the way your hand naturally folds across your chest. So more often that not a stage that traverses will go to the right which makes it safer and easier for the righty.

2)Righty's also tend to avoid shooting problems that involve left side baracades because is harder for a righty.

The flip side is most lefty's are more ambi so when you do have to switch hands its a little less ackward.

I find the same, but the disadvantage is really on very slight. You just have to think it through a little more, which is A-OK in USPSA.

Occasionally there is an absolute gift for a lefty - RH designers will somtimes set targets a barricades such that rightys have more transitions, but leftys just blast. Again, A-OK in USPSA since there's none of the tactical priority stuff like in IDPA.

KY Gun Geek
03-17-2005, 08:51
Originally posted by eljay45
Personally I don't feel at all disadvantaged by being left handed. I actually think the controls on most pistols are easier and faster for a southpaw.

AMEN to that sister.

I believe a 1911 is really a very LH gun. I can work the mag release and slide release with my trigger finger. I'm quick and safe (finger is away from the trigger while doing things) - only the safety is ever a problem, but an ambi fixes that. Glocks are a little less LH friendly - I find the slide release difficult to work with my trigger finger (though I usually rack the slide instead of hitting the release).

9MX
04-05-2005, 22:26
I shoot in IPSC Production. From the my previous my matches, I think most of the COFs are tailored for right handed shooters. Although there were some which kinda had balance designs:)