How long does your hose last? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How long does your hose last?

JellyBelly
03-02-2005, 00:54
;e

Seriously, though. Assuming a fire hose doesn't get damaged from being run over, exposed directly to flame, or not hung up to dry, how long should your average firehose last?

lomfs24
03-02-2005, 16:34
Originally posted by JellyBelly
How long does your hose last? ;e
Thats a rather personal question don't you think?

DEATHROW
03-02-2005, 18:04
If you don't have enough hose, get closer to the fire!!! Heh heh

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Deathrow

Slinger646
03-04-2005, 17:39
Yay Jon Bean High Pressure booster reels!!!!

DepChief
03-04-2005, 17:53
And just add a few more hose jokes for me too.

Seriously, how long does hose last? That is kind of like asking how long will a person live. There are so many variables, it would be impossible to determine. Just a few that I can think of:

1. How often is it used (FDNY or Podunk VFD)
2. Type
3. How is it stored (damp, dark, moldy closet or well vented hose rack?
4. Is it tested taken care of? (I have seen depts that never test hose)

Our dept SOG is that as long as it can pass the annual hose testing, it stays in service. I know the unlined park service hose is almost disposable, usually one fire and it gets trash canned, then again, I am sure we probably have a couple lengths that have been in the station since it was built, 25 years ago.

obxprnstar
03-05-2005, 11:34
Originally posted by DepChief
... I am sure we probably have a couple lengths that have been in the station since it was built, 25 years ago.

And we do. There is that one section under the chiefs desk keping it level. That other section under the floor in the training room, it kind of props things up, then there are the sections on the 1967 engine...

aspartz
03-05-2005, 21:55
Most of our hose dates from the '80s. We have a couple of 2.5 hoses that are stamped 1964 - each brass coupling weigh more than a modern hose set.

We have about three structure fires a year, and only a small portion of the hose actually gets pulled and gets dirty.

If correctly taken care of, there is no reason for a hose to go bad. I do however recommend annual testing to make sure what you drag into the fire is still good.

ARS