Most powerful handhelds NOT requiring a license? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful handhelds NOT requiring a license?

emt1581
03-02-2005, 02:29
At work (not EMS related) I use a two-way that can reach 30-40 miles away with no problem. It's a "private" frequency. I captioned private for obvious reasons.

Anyways, I don't have a license and still use such radios. Just curious what are some good handheld units that do not require a license to use?

I'm not looking for the weak 2 mile talk-about type jobs. I'd like to pick up something that can scan but not transmit police/fire/ems frequecies (even though I am allowed to transmit on fire/ems channels).

I also would like something with decent range, small size, and rechargeable with a good battery.

I described something in another thread about a radio I've been seeing more and more lately, just don't know the name of it.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

GSD17
03-02-2005, 20:56
How about a cell phone... seriously, dont know of much else, you have commercial, ham, and frs/gmrs. So...

N1PJ
03-03-2005, 06:54
Originally posted by GSD17
How about a cell phone... seriously, dont know of much else, you have commercial, ham, and frs/gmrs. So...

not to get things mixed up but you do need a license for ham, commercial, and gmrs.

In high power radios there isn't much that you could use without a license. The FCC doesn't regulate string and cups yet lol.

GSD17
03-03-2005, 13:10
I know you have to have licenses for those services, I guess I didnt write it the way I meant for it to come out. I have my Ham license... just so ya dont think I'm out talkin illegaly... KI4FKW

GSD17
03-03-2005, 13:12
Originally posted by emt1581
At work (not EMS related) I use a two-way that can reach 30-40 miles away with no problem. It's a "private" frequency. I captioned private for obvious reasons.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

By the way, what "private frequency" could you obtain without a license? Sounds fishy to me. Not knockin you if its legit

emt1581
03-03-2005, 13:28
Not sure of the exact frequency, but it's a motoroloa two-way. Similar to what a security gaurd may use. I've used it in excess of 20 miles away from our building. Worked crystal clear.

-Emt1581

IHR
03-03-2005, 13:46
Sounds an awful lot like a business freq. with repeter in the middle somewhere. Not too many handhelds will push that many watts.

emt1581
03-03-2005, 13:57
That might be exactly what it is.

-Emt1581

GSD17
03-03-2005, 22:32
Even with a business set of freqs. If it had a repeater, it should still belong to someone. I'm not trying to flame you or make you feel stupid, just want to help make sure you don't get in trouble

emt1581
03-03-2005, 22:37
I work for a very large company. I'm pretty sure they would not break any laws. They are really anal with most things.

Maybe I'm not describing it right or something, but for all intensive purposes, let's stick to what options are out there in terms of a good starter handheld not requiring a license.

-Emt1581

EUPHER49
03-05-2005, 00:37
Since he FCC came out with regulations on RF safety, they've said that the maximum power for any handheld unit cannot exceed 7 Watts. Most hand helds are a maximum of 5 Watts, selectable for power conservation. In the frequency range of >30 MHz those communications are primarily line-of-sight. (I agree sometimes sporadic-E will open for a thousand miles or so, but not reliably) I've done some pretty long range stuff on 2 meters (147 MHz) but I was on top of a hill and running 50W. Reliable communications beyond several miles, line-of-sight, requires a repeater and I know of no unlicensed radio service that can provide such service.

Mack45
03-06-2005, 20:59
EMT
You obviously have an interest in radios. Have you considered a ham radio license? They are a lot easier to get than you might think. You dont have to learn the morse code for a technicians class that gives you voice privilages on the VHF bands. I don't think that you will find the radio that you speak of unless it is a ham rig or a licensed business band radio. You will never regret getting your ham ticket.
Mack45

Glock Bob
03-07-2005, 00:18
As stated above, most HTs (handy talkies) are limited to about 7 watts or less. Citizens band (CB) is limited to 4 watts for all rigs (even though most CBers illegally amplify them). However, watts aren't always what's important in range-of-output. Many high frequency (HF) hams can reach around the world on just one watt or even less in some cases. The wavelength is really what makes the difference. The lower the frequency the longer the wave. A shorter wave will bounce all of the place for a short distance and become very weak. A long wave will bounce "slowly" and not loose strength rapidly. However, lower frequencies (HF) require a more advanced license than a Very High Frequency (VHF) or Ultra High Frequency (UHF). Most hams with the technician license (the basic license) operate on the 2 meter band. Technicians can also operate on the 6 meter band, which is getting pretty close to HF. Six meter is not very popular, so using HTs on that band is more private than on 2 meter. A technician license is much easier to obtain than a general or advanced as it does not require knowledge of Continuous Wave (CW), also known as Morse Code.

jfinan
03-08-2005, 10:05
emt1581

Remember that if you get a Ham license, the other person you talk to needs one too. GMRS licenses permit a "group" of people (i.e. relatives) to talk under one licensee

There are open Ham repeaters all over the place so line-of-site is not necessarily an issue as long as both of you can "see" the repeater...

Also, Ham HTs are considerably more expensive than most FRS/GMRS radios.

Aside --- I never understood why the FCC did GMRS the way that they did. The license is a lot of money for an FRS radio on steroids. It isn't like Ham radio where you need to take a test, just send in the money (as I recall its around $80). If you're going to get a license, you may as well get a ham ticket. The price is right! (I renewed a few months ago online for free...)

Info on GMRS:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmobile/index.html

Info on Ham (Amateur):

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/amateur/index.html

lomfs24
04-25-2005, 22:56
Maybe I am a little late on this but I'll throw in a comment.

I don't know a lot about these freq's because I just learned about them tonight. They are called MURS. The freq's are as follows....

From what I have learned so far they are unlicensed bands uses for multiple use. They would be very close to a VHF radio much like you use at work. I would certainly do a little research on them before you went and used them and I am not sure what equipment is availble at this time either.

Just a thought.

N1PJ
04-26-2005, 09:00
Originally posted by lomfs24
Maybe I am a little late on this but I'll throw in a comment.

I don't know a lot about these freq's because I just learned about them tonight. They are called MURS. The freq's are as follows....

From what I have learned so far they are unlicensed bands uses for multiple use. They would be very close to a VHF radio much like you use at work. I would certainly do a little research on them before you went and used them and I am not sure what equipment is availble at this time either.

Just a thought.

It is very hard to find true MURS radios, Your best bet would be to get a VHF commercial radio off ebay and lower the power to 2 watts on those frequencies.

lomfs24
04-26-2005, 09:07
Originally posted by N1PJ
It is very hard to find true MURS radios, Your best bet would be to get a VHF commercial radio off ebay and lower the power to 2 watts on those frequencies. That is kinda what I have heard. The equipment is not readily available and is expensive when you find it. But what you said is in the true nature of a HAM operator. Find something cheaper and make it work. There is no reason why your suggestion wouldn't work and since commercial radios are built to tighter specs it would probably work better than a true MURS transceiver.

This might be an option for emt1581.

N1PJ
04-26-2005, 10:10
Originally posted by lomfs24
That is kinda what I have heard. The equipment is not readily available and is expensive when you find it. But what you said is in the true nature of a HAM operator. Find something cheaper and make it work. There is no reason why your suggestion wouldn't work and since commercial radios are built to tighter specs it would probably work better than a true MURS transceiver.

This might be an option for emt1581.

I have my Motorola System Sabers running 2 watts on those frequencies, works really well. Due to the VHF signal properties and the increased wattage it works a lot better then FRS radios.

BrianDamage
04-28-2005, 04:26