Favorite roads/rides [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite roads/rides

H.I.M
03-03-2005, 04:00
Ok Moto club....what are your favorite roads/rides and or destinations? Share with us where these are at so the rest of us may one day enjoy them also!

Mine?.....Has to be Deals Gap ( Tail of the Dragon )...318 turns in 11 miles! then over to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Deals Gap is US 129 just south of Knoxville TN, run that to 28 on up to Chreokee NC, pick up the Parkway (no commerical trafic allowed) and take a nice 400 mile run through the most beautiful twisty mountain area I've ever seen. I'm in Michigan and will be doing this ride again this summer only this time will head on up through Maine and back down into MI.

Ride safe

kshuart
03-03-2005, 07:03
If your at Deals Gap, do yourself a favor and do Cherahala Skyway between Tellico Plains and Robinsville. It's 45 miles of great scenery, no houses, or businesses. If you decide to go south at all, 28 down to Franklin is great along with 64 over to Highlands.

Clydeglide
03-03-2005, 08:20
Thanks for the info....I'll be there the last full week of May. Staying in Tellico Plains.

:cool:

fnfalman
03-03-2005, 08:55
I like going up Pacific Coast Highway that hugs the California west coast. It's easy riding and not technical but the scenery is awesome. You can ride this road from southern Cali to northern Cali.

dfowler21
03-04-2005, 08:21
My usual ride starts here in Hickory, heads up US 321 to Hwy 90 near Lenoir. Take Hwy 90 (Collettsville Rd) to Brown Mtn Beach Rd. Ride that out to Hwy 181 up to the parkway. A short hop on the parkway will get you to Hwy 221. Im pretty sure you pass yourself about 3 times on this stretch of road. You end up in Blowing Rock where its time to get something to eat, then back down 321 to home.

Im really lucky living where I do, because we have miles and miles of great motorcylce roads here in Western NC. Im also about 2 hrs away from Deals Gap, but its all interstate so I havent got out that way yet.

Sweet
03-04-2005, 10:55
Mid Coastal Kommiefornia, local roads for me...

HWY 1 Carmel to Cambria
Hwy 28 Hollister to King City
Carmel Valley Rd. Carmel Valley to Greenfield

H.I.M
03-05-2005, 05:12
dfowler21

You could get lost for days down where you are. We stayed in Blowing Rock on that trip, man what great roads and beautiful country. I cant remember the name of the resturant in BR but it is the best BBQ we've ever been to. This summer we'll be heading back down there to hit all the back roads and this time and just wander around. It had always been a dream of ours to do the Parkway and well worth wait.

For anyone going down that way there are three books written by a lady named Carolyn Sakowski that take you off the beaten path and into history. The books are Touring the Western North Carolina Backroads...Touring the Shenandoah Valley Backroads and Touring the East Tennessee Backroads. These are must haves for anyone going that way.
Ride safe

Dan

THE BOSS
03-05-2005, 20:10
Northern California, Napa Valley. Lake Berryessa to Middle town and all the roads between. Roads for all skill levels.

Berkley hills, wild cat canyon, Bear creek.

Things i miss most about Cali,

THE BOSS

Stop CPR
03-05-2005, 20:47
Originally posted by THE BOSS
Northern California, Napa Valley. Lake Berryessa to Middle town and all the roads between. Roads for all skill levels.

Berkley hills, wild cat canyon, Bear creek.

Things i miss most about Cali,

THE BOSS

I lived in Nor Cal, St. Helena, and love and miss the 25 mile ride through the vinyards along the Silverado trail from Calistoga to Napa. Fall was best with the smell of the crush and the new wine.

fnfalman
03-07-2005, 10:33
Yeah, Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley. That would be a beautiful ride. When I was up thataway last year, I took my Z4 to Napa all the time. Beautiful scenery, excellent grubs, excellent views of fine women and some decent booze.

ateamer
03-07-2005, 11:20
Yesterday, a buddy and I rode Hwy. 25 from Hollister, crossed 198 and took Peachtree and Indian Valley Roads to San Miguel, popped into Paso Robles for lunch and came back via a 101 to King City and backroads to his place in Marina. Great ride.

Some other great Central Coast rides already got mentioned. I ride Carmel Valley a couple times each year and am going to hit Hwy. 1 down to around Pismo pretty soon - been too long; the last time was July.

In Wyoming, I think it is Hwy. 14 through Shell Falls is a great ride.

Interstates suck.

dfowler21
03-07-2005, 12:23
Originally posted by H.I.M
dfowler21

You could get lost for days down where you are. We stayed in Blowing Rock on that trip, man what great roads and beautiful country. I cant remember the name of the resturant in BR but it is the best BBQ we've ever been to. This summer we'll be heading back down there to hit all the back roads and this time and just wander around. It had always been a dream of ours to do the Parkway and well worth wait.

For anyone going down that way there are three books written by a lady named Carolyn Sakowski that take you off the beaten path and into history. The books are Touring the Western North Carolina Backroads...Touring the Shenandoah Valley Backroads and Touring the East Tennessee Backroads. These are must haves for anyone going that way.
Ride safe

Dan

That would be Woodlands. Its a favorite stop with my riding crew. Shoot me a PM next time you are down this way and we can do some riding. Heck, I didnt even know about those books. I could probably learn a thing or two.

You aint kidding about getting lost. Ive done that a time or two. The "Wonder where this road goes" mentality has got me wishing for a larger gas tank a time or two.