Military Funeral [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Military Funeral

jerryd
03-03-2005, 11:05
Had to go to my cousins funeral in MA. yesterday, had about 30= years in AFNG, still get the chills from Taps! Felt sorry for the guys in firing detail, stood outside for about 30min. Seems all the funerals are vets! His son has 23 yrs in following in his fathers footsteps, nice to see! From what he told me he might be heading back to Iraq again, told him to keep his head down and stay safe! Said he remembers me telling him about my escapades in Viet Nam in when i got home in 68, guess i made an impression on him! Really nice cemetary in Agawam, for the Vets!;? ;? ;?

RussP
03-08-2005, 15:55
Sorry to hear about your cousin, and, yes, Taps will always have that effect on me as well.

The temperature never got above freezing that day did it...it must have been tough in the funeral detail.

I started my first tour in SEA in September '68.

Thanks for your service and that of your family members!;?

king catfish
03-12-2005, 16:25
I was on the flag-folding detail for one military funeral and on the firing squad for another. Tough not to cry in your beer afterward.

The toughest parts was dropping the white gloves into the grave after forlding the flag, and watching the officer present the flag oto the widow.

TKennedy1975
03-18-2005, 17:14
I am getting ready to ETS from the Army. I've spent 2 1/2 years in the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) in Ft. Myer, VA. Part of our ceremonial duties are military funerals in Arlington National Cemetery. I've done firing parties exclusively during this time for approximately 750 funerals. Even after so many funeral missions, hearing Taps still has to be the lonliest 21 notes I've ever heard.

If anyone wants more information on my unit or what we do, here's the regimental homepage.

The Old Guard (http://www.mdw.army.mil/oldguard/index2.htm)

WIG19
03-22-2005, 12:30
Originally posted by TKennedy1975
I am getting ready to ETS from the Army. I've spent 2 1/2 years in the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) in Ft. Myer, VA.
Thanks all for your service! I lived the last couple years of my last tour at the Pentagon on Ft Myer and you guys have always been hi-speed & squared away. (My favorite part was catching night-crawlers on the cemetery's edge at night after a rain...)
Did firing parties while in ROTC as well in mid-60's, 2-3 a week before actually going over myself...

Yep, Taps and the Nat'l Anthem both still affect me the same way.
;?

Black Tiger
04-03-2005, 00:44
I am so sorry for your loss; I felt the same way when I attended the funeral of one of our guys, SGT. Robert "Bobby" Wagner; he was killed in an IED attack outside of Mosul while working as a Security Operative.

I still remember when they buried him; the taps being played, then "Amazing Grace" played by a Bagpiper, then the 21 gun salute and the handing of the flag to his wife by the honor guard; the thing that broke my heart was Bobby's 5 year old son; how do you explain to a 5 year old that his daddy is never coming home?

I choked up and cried along the other guys in our platoon, we all made it out of Iraq without a loss, so we were proud of that; but then one of our brothers goes back to Iraq as a civilian and dies; makes you feel so guilty, wishing you were there watching his back; sometimes I think that if given the chance, I would have stepped in front of that blast and give my own life for him.

But I know he did not die alone, he was surrounded by the best bunch of men you could ask for, men that right now are back in Iraq, doing what they do best.

God Bless our men and women in uniform.