gobble gobble ( spring time is here kinda ) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : gobble gobble ( spring time is here kinda )

noway
03-04-2005, 08:24
Okay it's that time of the year. Who here hunts the turkeys? and what are your plans and what are you using?

For me, I been trying out the winchester #6 3"mag 1/,75oz loads ( STH1236) and this has been putting out far tighter patterns and the smaller shots gives me consistent patterns. This is a slight step up from my former remington 12ga loads of #5 or #6 in the same size payload.

lomfs24
03-04-2005, 22:03
Originally posted by noway
Okay it's that time of the year. Who here hunts the turkeys? and what are your plans and what are you using?

I am going to try and make it out this year. The problem is that it's so expensive to get a bird in this state. The price tag for a spring bird for me is right around the $50 mark and that is just for tags and such. That does not include travel, time off work, equipment etc...

If I make it out this year I will be sporting my Hoyt Vortec (70 # pull) 29 1/2"'s of Gold Tip carbons ( X 8 ) tipped with 100 gr. three blade muzzy's.

Oddly enough, that is the same set up I will be sporting this fall when I go elk hunting.

I can't wait.

BlackBelt
03-05-2005, 07:59
I'm tricked out this year with a Bucklick creek turkey lounger vest, complete with camelback hydration bladder. Trying some new camo ideas this year-woodland brown ASAT pants and MossyOak obsession shirt.
Got the 870 Turkey spl shotgun in mossy oak.
Going with Knight and Hale calls this year (mouth diaphragm, Lonesome hen push/pull, Ol' Yeller slate).
Hunting 5000 acres this year, so been trying to figure out best places from topo maps, and my scouting.
I'll go coyote hunting Monday (good excuse to turkey scout).
Got the Knight and Hale Gobbler Guide the other day. Learned a lot.
Now I've got a little less than a month to practice mouth calls on the way to work!!!

TScottW99
03-05-2005, 22:25
I can't wait for it to start here. Using my Mossberg 500 again, still havn't got the 12 guage barrel for my Encore yet. Will be trying some differn't chokes and shot this year at the patterning board. Hoping to try the new Winchester Extended load. Have been hearing good reports so far from the new load.

nyredneck
03-05-2005, 22:27
I usually use my Browning BPS with 30" barrel pushing Rem. 3 1/2 mags in 6 shot through my invector full turkey choke. I've taken gobblers out to 45 yards with this setup. This year however, I'm going to try turkey by bow! I got a ameristep outhouse blind for my b-day and it seems like it's going to be fun! I don't really know what broadheads I'll be using yet, but Im open to suggestions!! Happy hunting!;f

lomfs24
03-05-2005, 22:37
nyredneck, I don't think that turkeys are too terribly particular about what kind of broadhead they get shot with. However, I use pretty much the same setup as far as arrows and broadheads as I do for any other hunting. The reason for this is that I don't have to worry about how my bow is shooting today. It shoots the same as it does all year.

noway
03-05-2005, 23:32
{$50 mark and that is just for tags and such. }

hearing this $50..... this makes me appreciate my $5.00 tag ;f

I whent out today for scouting and saw one hen, the turkey season started today for the southern half of the state. Not alot of hunters in the area and nobody bagged anything from what I could tell. Alot of signs and tracks but no toms to be taken.

I wish everybody the best of luck and hopefully we all get one bird or more.
;)

youngtacshooter
03-06-2005, 00:09
I'll be using my remington 870 youth in 20 gauge.Some people say you cant hunt turkeys with it but ive shot two at 35 yards. My first one was 5 inches but my second one was 10 1/2 inches.

lomfs24
03-06-2005, 00:23
Originally posted by noway
{$50 mark and that is just for tags and such. }

hearing this $50..... this makes me appreciate my $5.00 tag ;f
$5 dollar tag? It costs me $8 just so I can use my bow. Granted, I can use the same bow stamp this fall when I go elk hunting but still

CanyonMan
03-06-2005, 10:18
After reading all this, it helps me see how blessed i am! ;)

We just step out behind the ranch house, go through a canyon or two, and shoot a turkey, and start cleaning it. ;f

For a few of the more "Really, Really, Monster Tom's," sometimes we have to work at it for a while. I had one last year i could not get in, but that was a MAJOR execption.

I have used everything from shotguns, to bows, (BTW "youngtacshooter",
don't let the 'experts' tell you, that the 870, 20gauge, don't work for turkey's). We have guided turkey hunts for over three deacades now, and have seen a cajillion of them 'brought down hard,' with a 20ga. shotgun!

Anyway.. i tought i would be different 'last year,' (since i have used everything else it seems), and try a G31. So, i will, (for my personal hunting), try "again" this year, with some really "poofy slow, light reloads," with the .40cal barrel in the G31.

I have a load or two that are 'tack drivers,' using "Titegroup" powder, and will drive right through the bird's "craw," or a "butt of the folded wing shot," with a "full metal jacket," and do NO meat damage. ;)

Good Hunting Boys'

CanyonMan

nyredneck
03-06-2005, 16:47
Originally posted by lomfs24
nyredneck, I don't think that turkeys are too terribly particular about what kind of broadhead they get shot with.

;z ;z ;z ;z thanks, that kinda puts it into a little perspective!!;f

kshutt
03-10-2005, 21:20
Last year is going to be hard to beat! I shot a 24lb. Rio with an 11" beard. I either shoot a Mossberg 835 or a Benelli Nova. Both shotguns have fiber optic sights made by Tru-Glo. For ammo, I only use 3" Winchester Supreme Hi-Velocity Turkey Loads with #5 copper plated shot. Most of the birds that I have taken with this load were between 40-45 yds. They just drop and flop! ^5

Jeep274
03-11-2005, 10:18
I just passed a flock of 30 this morning on my way to work. I am really getting the itch now. I just have to find some private land to hunt this year. The public lands are way over crowded in my area. Good luck guys.

Berzerker10mm
03-11-2005, 16:54
I'm going turkey hunting for my first time this year!! I'm going to use a Mossberg 500 with an xx-full choke and 12 gauge 3" #4 shot.

duncan
03-20-2005, 00:53
Originally posted by kshutt
Last year is going to be hard to beat! I shot a 24lb. Rio with an 11" beard. I either shoot a Mossberg 835 or a Benelli Nova. Both shotguns have fiber optic sights made by Tru-Glo. For ammo, I only use 3" Winchester Supreme Hi-Velocity Turkey Loads with #5 copper plated shot. Most of the birds that I have taken with this load were between 40-45 yds. They just drop and flop! ^5

Those fiber optic snap on front sights are really nice at dusk and near dawn for the gobblers.

I hope to be out there early this season too with my Rem 870 in 12 ga.