12 Ga. Slug Gun Advice Needed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 12 Ga. Slug Gun Advice Needed

Glockman454
03-05-2005, 20:47
I am thinking of getting back into deer hunting. I am looking at the Remington 870 Slug models. I saw two models. The 870 and the 870SPS Super Slug. Both have fully rifled barrels but the SPS specs says the barrell is also "Heavy Contour". What exactly does that mean as far as the rifling is concerned and is it a worthwile feature? The price difference is about $65.00

I am looking for a Slug gun with as close as rifle performance as possible without breaking the bank.

Any additional comments also welcome.

Thanks,

noway
03-05-2005, 23:40
I have a 870 s-express deck out as a rifle slug gun using the hasting bbl. The sps is nice and not to bad of a gun. I'm not sure what the heavy contour means, but I would assume it heavier walled and more durable in that area. Does it make a difference? don't know.

A 870express with one of remington cantilever mount bbl or a 3rd party won't break the bank to much, and you can build this for under $550.00 minues optics. I currently using a sightron scope , but will most likely go back to nikon. This setup nets about 3-6" groups at 100yrds, more than enough accurate for a typcial white-tail deer taken at 35yrds or less.

Now if you want rifle performance, then all I can say, get a rifle or shell out the thousanbds of dollars for a bolt action slug gun. Alot of the accuracy is actually in the slug used and the shooters capabilities.

TJC
03-07-2005, 05:33
Gman454,

I'll offer my $.02 which will be 2 options that work for me.

I have a Remington 11-87 in 12 ga. with a cant. mount and Leupold 2x7 scope. This gun shoots 3-4" groups all day long with the right ammo. Plenty good enough for 125-130 yd shots.

Second choice is something I just put together at the end of this last deer season.
T/C Encore in 20 ga. with a rifled barrel and topped with the same model Leupold 2x7 scope. This little gun shoots like a rifle at 125 yards. I have not had the time to really explore the full spectrum of 20 ga. slugs but you can bet that is on my to do list for next summer.

Both the above setups are under $1000 and will last a life time.

TScottW99
03-07-2005, 05:36
I have an Encore and love it. Planning on getting the 20 guage rifled barrel sometime in the future.

TJC
03-09-2005, 06:56
Put some good glass on that 20 ga. and you'll fall in love all over again. :)

noway
03-09-2005, 08:30
I agreed with this. I have partner that has take 2 deer and one black bear with a 20ga 870 using the std winchester partition sabot/slug. he reported that these game animal dropped just as the same as being hit by a 12ga slug.

less recoil is the one biggest advanatge but the cons are ammo is nowhere as readily available as 12ga stuff plus you have a greater drop at farther distance. BUT within 100yrds or so, the 20ga slug combo is great for most game animals in the lower 48states.

This year he will be hunting elk with the same setup, and I pretty sure he has faith in that this combo will work just as good.

Roger C
04-08-2005, 08:31
Originally posted by TJC
I have a Remington 11-87 in 12 ga. with a cant. mount and Leupold 2x7 scope. This gun shoots 3-4" groups all day long with the right ammo. Plenty good enough for 125-130 yd shots.

What slugs are you using? I've got an 870 with a rifled barrel (Rem factory 10" barrel, rifle sights), and it is a real tack driver with Lightfield slugs. I tried a couple of different sabots, but the Lightfields really impressed me. I was curious to hear what worked in your 11-87.

Michigun
04-08-2005, 13:59
Glockman454, the “heavy Contour” barrel on the 870SPS is for nothing really more then to add a bit more weight to help reduce recoil some… I’d rather have the lighter gun myself as recoil is only something bothersome while sighting in (I never notice recoil with adrenaline) & that can be fixed with shoulder padding a lot more effectively IMO. (I don’t really feel that the “heavy Contour” barrel helps all that much with recoil anyways.)

YMMV on the above…

My slug-gun set-up is a Beretta 390 semi-auto 12-gauge w/Hastings aftermarket fully-rifled cantilever slug barrel… I put a 3x9x40mm Leupold on her. It shoots 2” ~ 2-1/2” groups all day long @ 100 yards with Federal’s 1oz 3” Barns Expanders sabot slugs… I’ve killed whitetails out to 160+ yards with it & would/will go out to 200 yards. Slug guns aren’t what they used to be! ^c

(FYI, my brother has a Mossberg 500 w/factory Mossberg fully-rifled cantilever slug barrel & it will shoot the same groups as mine will @ 100 yards with Federal’s 1oz 2-3/4” standard “hourglass” sabot slugs… this just shows what can be expected from these newer slug-guns. I’ve sighted in SEVERAL Remington 870’s & 11-87’s capable of the same with the correct ammo to gun/barrel match-up!)

TJC
04-08-2005, 15:31
RogerC,

I use the Lightfields in the 11-87. I origianlly used the original Remington solid copper slugs. They were great. But they aren't made anymore and I finally ran out.

So far in the 20 ga T/C I've only tried the Lightfields. They have shot well for the little I shot this gun so far. Before next season I will put a number of other slugs through it.

swatson1
04-14-2005, 19:33
I have only used my Mossberg 500 for slug hunting. It does the job and frankly I'd rather have that when I am hunting because I'm not gonna cry if I scratch it. It has never failed me and it is nice an affordable. If money is not an issue go with something else but for me the Mossberg has done well.

duncan
04-16-2005, 17:38
Rem 870 is an awesome hunting platform.

I even shoot trap with mine and manage a 19/20 too!

Michigun
04-17-2005, 09:06
Originally posted by duncan
I even shoot trap with mine and manage a 19/20 too!

What, they didn't throw the last 5? ;f

f1b32oPTic
04-17-2005, 10:48
Originally posted by noway

Now if you want rifle performance, then all I can say, get a rifle or shell out the thousanbds of dollars for a bolt action slug gun.

roger that, if you are alowed to hunt with a centerfire rifle then go with that, where i am you are not allowed to hunt with a centerfire rifle unless positioned at least 8 ft. above the ground. that pretty much leaves me with the sluggun for stillhunting. i shoot a smoothbore though in that application.

but if i had my way id be using my rifle from the trees and the ground