TX - Pending legislation regarding blinds, feeders, etc. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TX - Pending legislation regarding blinds, feeders, etc.

Greybeard
03-06-2005, 11:09
While I'm in full support of the pending TX legislation prohibiting "internet hunting", that subject reminded me that possibly a heads-up of interest on this one:

HB 560, by Miller
Categories: Hunting. Status: Filed 01/25/05.
Relating to the placement of traps, deer stands, hunting blinds, wildlife feeders, and other hunting devices.
Prohibits placeing or building a hunting device, including a trap, deer stand, hunting blind, or wildlife feeder, less than 200 feet from a line that separates property owned by one person from property owned by another person without a written agreement.

--------------

While I've got some guesses, I'm not familiar with the specific background on this one. Anyone know?

TexAg
03-06-2005, 15:52
Just guesses here too, but I've never liked it when people put up blinds or feeders right next to the fence, becasue to me it says a couple things; 1) I am definitely trying to lure animals off your land onto my land where I can shoot them and/or, 2) if I see a big buck I just can't pass up on your land I may just shoot him and haul him back over to my place. However, I'm not sure we need legislation for this. When we had our ranch a nieghbor (or someone leasing his land) put up an elevated blind about 20 yards from our fence, overlooking our road and a nearby tank. While we couldnt really do anything about it, we did put a "No tresspassing" sign on the fence right in front of it so he'd hopefully get the message. Unfortunately you can't be out there 24/7 to watch him either.

Greybeard
03-06-2005, 20:28
Yep Ag, I can see how you might feel that way.

In thinking about it from another perspective, a month or so ago, I discovered a situation up on one of the units at Caddo National Grasslands that would make me want stay away during deer season. A buddy and I were following hog tracks that paralleled a tree line on a western boundary. Some of the tracks eventualy led thru brush and under fence into an approximate 200 yard X 1/2 mile strip of winter wheat on the private land. Just beyond the 200-yard strip of wheat was another tree line with 4 deer blinds - all with the front windows facing back toward the public land. :(

lomfs24
03-06-2005, 23:16
That can't be that bad. Here we can't use traps or feeders at all?

Greybeard
03-08-2005, 07:20
I just discovered the following this morning at www.txchlforum.com

"Here's one we don't have to worry about.

Scott Campbell (R) filed HB185, a bill that would, with limited exceptions, prohibit the use of hunting blinds and/or feeders within 150 yds. of a fence line dividing property owned by different owners. In response to a request from TSRA, Rep. Campbell will withdraw the bill if possible, and if it is not possible to withdraw it, it will not be pursued. Good work Alice Tripp! "

Edited to add: More careful reading looks like maybe just one of a couple by different politi-critters ...

noway
03-08-2005, 07:52
{That can't be that bad. Here we can't use traps or feeders at all?}

Same here for public use area. I think personally a person should be able to place a feeder or blind anywhere on their land. It is their land? right ?

Now shooting animal on the other side of the fence line is totaly wrong and there should be fair play. In this state if you do this, they charge you twice with trepass, once for the bullet and the second for when you go retrieve the game, both of which iirc are felonies.Big time fines and jail time plus lost of license.

{Prohibits placeing or building a hunting device, including a trap, deer stand, hunting blind, or wildlife feeder, less than 200 feet from a line that separates property owned by one person from property owned by another person without a written agreement.
}

Why this law makes no sense, if anybody could place the feeder and/or blind 201ft away and then wait for an animals to cross the fence line and kill it legaly or even better yet exit the blind and sit on their side of the fence line and kill the game legally. If they are going to pass something as ridiculous as this, hey should at least make a law stating no hunting within 200ft of any mark/post property boundary.

CanyonMan
03-08-2005, 08:27
I could be wrong, BUT i really don't see much coming of this one.

Although I will say that i agree with 'Texag' here, as we have some what the same situation on our ranch in W. TX. The guy on the bordering ranch has feeders placed pretty close to the fence line, (in some areas surrounding the ranch), and 'leases' these different sections out to hunters. (his hunters run wild with four wheelers and beer cans flying everywhere). Somtimes on our side!

We "DO NOT" lease, but "have guided for many years," (and that too may be coming to a close as well), (for other reasons), don't know yet.

"The point being," that although we have a number of feeders up, HE has them in strategic places's that help to "lure" the game over his way.

We have sloved "PART" of this problem by, (in the last few weeks), plowing up 'ONE' of the meadows, off the back rim of the canyon, and taking out "HALF" of a strip of Mesquite and cactus that ran along side 'one' of the meadow's borders, that was about 200 yards deep, and a 1/4 mile long, NOW "leaving 100yrds deep of timber," before you get to the creek, and the base of the canyon wall.

Thus, making 'this one meadow' about 25 acres. Now plowing, and planting sweet clover and moving some of the feeders as well, (and stands), so as to make this meadow a giant attraction !. (attraction, here, meaning, to keep them from drifting so much the other way if possible).

Plus, there is enough mesquite piled up at one end to supply half of Texas with firewood! ;) ("SOME" of that will be cut up later for us, and some piled up in places for small game cover, the rest burned ).

It is not an "Ethical thing," to try and "lure" game off of another man's property, but then, there are getting to be "fewer ethical people" around all the time!

Yet I think the Local Government needs to "stay out of this one personally," and allow the ranchers to deal with it themselves, as to "where" we place 'our feeders, on our own property.' If not, this could come back later on and bite us in the rump roast.

***EDIT NOTE*** I felt like a BTW, was needed here. We "did not" plant that meadow to 'attract game away' form anyone, we planted it, in 'this particular section of land,' to "keep what we have had," from "wanting to drift." None of this, as we all know, is fool proof. No one 'Owns the widlife', and no one can or should, 'try and claim it,' or think he can 'completely control it.' We should just be "good stewards," of what we have free roaming. Yet neighbors should "RESPECT" each other enough, to manage their property in an "ETHICAL MANNER."

CanyonMan

lomfs24
03-08-2005, 09:28
Originally posted by noway
{That can't be that bad. Here we can't use traps or feeders at all?}

Same here for public use area. I think personally a person should be able to place a feeder or blind anywhere on their land. It is their land? right ?

I don't know, I guess it's what you call fair chase rules. My own personal ethics would not allow me to shoot a deer out of a trap or feeder. If I was going to do that I might as well go out and shoot my own cow out of a feeder.

Don't get me wrong. If you want to hunt that way and your state allows it, then go for it.

I have used blinds with fairly poor results. I have set up blinds along trails and water holes. I have used tree stands in similar situations. But it is too hit and miss in this country here.

noway
03-08-2005, 10:03
{Don't get me wrong. If you want to hunt that way and your state allows it, then go for it.
}

Don't put any words in my mouth , but I don't hurt that way. I hunt on public land about 99% of the time from the ground and using portable blinds all of which is legal and not restricted. I also hunt near fence lines between private and public lands due to the fact that 90% of the game is on the private land taking advanatge of the feeders. In all fairness it all equals out, in that the deer goes where the food source are, but in the same areas, their's alot of guns & hunters, so the deer use the public grounds that are less crowded as cover and security. From sept-to-jan the deer main objective is to not get shot so they roam more between these lands to take advantage of the safety.

The problem how I see it, is the state is getting more and more in control of what and how people hunt on their own property which imho is wrong.

{No one 'Owns the widlife', and no one can or should, 'try and claim it,' or think he can 'completely control it.'}

^6
agreed and that was a good post.

Eagles1181
03-12-2005, 11:45
I hunt on private land and a couple of our stands are right on the edge of property line. It is a beautiful place for a stand, right were a powerline and road cross (private, dirt road property, legal to hunt on). I also use feeders, but the reason for this is that for a couple of years now we have been trying to thin out the doe population. The ratio of buck to doe a nowhere near balanced. By having a feeder, we can see what is there, and take out the older females that are less likely to survive the winter and less likely to breed the following year.

Eagle

CanyonMan
03-13-2005, 13:20
Just to make myself CLEAR here. ( because of some other feedback etc,)

We "DO NOT," hunt over the feeders, i do not 'personally' consider this hunting. (my own ethics). In all our years of guiding, we have "never Personally," hunted over a feeder, NOR, have we placed a 'clinet over one.'

The feeders, as well as the Food plot we are working on now, is simply to, "Help Keep The Game We Got," from wanting to wander off to "greener pastures." (so to speak).

As i said in my other post, above, no one 'owns the wild life,' and 'should not try' to legislate where to place a feeder or stand, ( on one's own property).

But "OUR" goal here, on the ranch, is to simply try to keep the deer/ turkey/ etc, 'interested' in staying, rather than 'wandering,' over on a place that 'try's' to "lure them." (this is an "impossable task" to do 'completely,' but it can help some what.

We have 'always been blessed' with plenty of game, on all our ranches, from, N. W. Oklahoma, to W. Texas, even to Tennessee. And we understand that these are creatures of habit, and will usaually stay in the same area (on a large ranch), for generation, after generation,. (but there is always 'some NATURAL roaming').

BUT, when we feel they are being "purposely lured," at "different sections" on the ranch, by "bordering leaser's,"...... We feel at this point, to do what we can, within reason, and do all possible, to try and keep them 'interested in staying put.'

So the feeders and plots, well, 'mainly' they help make a 'healthy herd/flock,' and to provide 'rich nutrients etc,' through 'diet.' But they 'also help to maintain' a herd/flock, 'that stays' generation, after generation. We are just 'helping' that "natural instinct" out a little, to stay there.

But hunting over the feeders.. 'NO' (my personal ethics will not allow it.), if you do, i 'do not' condemn you. :)

The 'HUNT' takes place in the canyons, and the outback, and utilizes the 'guides/hunters skill,' against the 'animals skill/ability.' ;)

CanyonMan

ALLAN
03-14-2005, 20:55
If people in Texas didn't hunt off the feeders there would be evn more deer. They are already invading the DFW metromess along with the hogs.

I won't shoot one off a feeder though.

G36's Rule
03-20-2005, 11:32
Originally posted by ALLAN
If people in Texas didn't hunt off the feeders there would be evn more deer. They are already invading the DFW metromess along with the hogs.

I won't shoot one off a feeder though.

A point most people miss, or conveniently ignore, is that a large part of Texas hunting is done in heavy brush. East Texas can be so thick as to be almost impossible to pass through. South Texas is the same way. If you are not hunting out of fixed or mobile blinds on clear cuts, sendaros, food plots or feeders, you probably are only there to pass the time.

Getting out into true West Texas, west of the Pecos, feeders and blinds become kind of silly. I can usually find a spot to sit down on the side of a hill or canyon and see 10x further than I can shoot and watch critters all day long.

So it depends on where you are. But if Texas were to outlaw feeders and blinds on PRIVATE property, there would be a revolt shortly there after. Because the deer population would sky rocket.

CanyonMan
03-21-2005, 09:38
A point most people miss, or conveniently ignore, is that a large part of Texas hunting is done in heavy brush. East Texas can be so thick as to be almost impossible to pass through. South Texas is the same way. If you are not hunting out of fixed or mobile blinds on clear cuts, sendaros, food plots or feeders, you probably are only there to pass the time.

Getting out into true West Texas, west of the Pecos, feeders and blinds become kind of silly. I can usually find a spot to sit down on the side of a hill or canyon and see 10x further than I can shoot and watch critters all day long.

So it depends on where you are. But if Texas were to outlaw feeders and blinds on PRIVATE property, there would be a revolt shortly there after. Because the deer population would sky rocket.

Hey there Guys,

Im' not so sure i agree with ya here, 'respectively speaking,' I rarely ever hunt out of a blind or a tree stand, almost never in fact, and i 'have hunted east Tx.' and our family has property in Tennessee, and have hunted there for years , and years, and was not there to 'just pass the time,' as you say, ha. And of course W. Tx, is where two of the ranchces are at present. Being from ranch country, and from N.W. Okla. and NOW, W. Tx.

I understand the 'being able to see forever' situation, 'all the more reason' "why" folks put up feeders and blinds, cause it is usually about 'the only way' the average, hardly ever in the outback hunter, or 'city pay to hunt on lease fellow,' gets their game.

It is 'far more silly' to place a feeder or a blind in 'already thick natural cover,' that the hunter can take advantage of to get his game.
Plus in those thick places such as E. Tx, and Tenn: etc, there is usually an abundance of acorns and such like for the deer to browse upon, i have never really ever seen a need for a feeder there, in fact, (this is me ok), i don't reacall ever seeing a feeder in the part of E. TX, that i have been to, or E. OKLA., or Tenn:

I know that, there again, we 'do not' use them on our property in Tenn: X Thousands, of acres there, and 'no feeders,' they 'are not needed.' But, back here, at home, (W. TX.), we have feeders put up, as i said in the 'above post/s.' But 'if you read them' you will see our "motive" for those feeders as well, and that is to try and keep a 'happy' herd/flock, from wanting to 'wander.' But we 'do not' hunt over them, 'nor do we allow' the clients 'we guide' to hunt over them.. I know, that 'most folks' do hunt them, that is fine and dandy, but 'for us,' we don't.

Point is, we 'do not see' this 'over populated problem,' and the 'reason' is because we have a 'healthy harvest of deer, and turkeys,' and 'without hunting over feeders.'

I agree with ya in principal, that the herds would boom, if the feeders were gone, BUT, the 'reason' would be, "because most of the people do not want to hunt, just shoot."

We have just found over the years, that taking advantage of 'natural cover,' makes since, and it works, in the mountains of W.Tx. or the brush of Tenn: Or the plains of Okla. (which is pretty difficult at times), to hide behind barbed wire. :)

But i cannot fathom the deer population, 'sky rocketing,' as you say, just because of the removal of feeders. "Except" for one reason.

People who do not want to "really, actually, truly, hunt." And cannot do so 'without a feeder in front of them, as i said above. :)

Again, i am 'against' the local government, or anyone for that matter, telling us what we can do with a feeder etc, on our 'own ranch.'

But, i think it is a bit of a 'panic attack' to think we will have a 'deer population explosion' with the removal of feeders. Actually what we "OUGHT TO HAVE," if that ever happens, (and I "do not believe" it EVER will), is an explosion of people who get out, stretch their legs, stop being lazy, and learn to hunt. :)

Nope, i 'am not' talking against tree stands and 'natural cover etc,'
I 'am talking' about hunting over a pile of corn on the ground!

I think that hunting over a feeder is a 'great thing' for the 'physically handicapped', i really do, and it is a 'blessing for them' to be able to hunt that way. But if a person is healthy and able,.... well, as i said, we 'do not allow' hunting over feeders, or, shooting fish in a barrel. ;)

I don't think we need to worry about losing the feeders anyway, so we can probably all just relax on this one ya reckon. ;f

CanyonMan

G36's Rule
03-21-2005, 19:26
You are free to hunt anyway you want. Aint that great!

But I've been hunting this state for the last 30 years and I think I know it pretty well. Don't know where you are in West Texas, but where I hunt, both the Mulies and the Whitetail put together are not nearly as numerous as the deer in the Edwards plateau region or even East Texas.

Folks put up feeders in West Texas to supplement the deer feed.

Folks that hunt feeders in West Texas limit themselves severely and don't see near the animals that some doing spot and stalk or just glassing the bottoms and tops.

Folks that hunt feeders in the brushy areas of Texas see far more game than those that try to move through the brush. That is why it is done.

As to everyone relaxing, I don't really see anyone stressed out, so I doubt that was an issue.

Have a good one.:cool:

CanyonMan
03-21-2005, 20:07
Folks that hunt feeders in West Texas limit themselves severely and don't see near the animals that some doing spot and stalk or just glassing the bottoms and tops.

That is exactly right! that what i was saying there Hoss, that hunting over the feeders is not the 'better way,' as you just pointed out here in your statement. I 'fully agree' on the "limitations" they place on themselves and or clients, by hunting the feeders. That is ONE reason we do not hunt them, or allow a client to hnt them, in 30 + years of guiding hunts, in Oklahoma , and W. Texas!.

Folks put up feeders in West Texas to supplement the deer feed.

Man i know 'why' we put up the feeders, what 'you said' here is 'part' of the reason, and i gave another in the post above. (that is to hunt over them), and 'with us, it is not to just suppliment a dietary meal, but to help them from wanting to "wander." Which is very hard to do anyway.

As for you being stressed out, "never said you were." ;f
But the sense of what i read on this thread, looks that way to me, that there is almost a panic over the feeders.

Don't know where you are in West Texas,

Take a look at my Avatar, you should know about where this is. :)

Your right about 'one thing,' hunt however you want to! ;)

Good Luck !

CanyonMan

winchester62
03-28-2005, 00:26
Sometimes popping a deer is about filling the freezer, not stalking that big trophy. Kind of like going down to the Piggly Wiggly. Shooting at a feeder might not be very sporting, but who cares. Neither is waddling down the aisle with a shopping cart full of veal.

Besides, Texas is a screwy place to "hunt." All private land and leases... People do things here they would never do in the western states. And the deer are thick as flies in many areas. Thin them out. Just do it humanely. Hunt if you want to/can. Or harvest from your porch. It might not be hunting, but it tastes the same.