Best portable shortwave radio? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best portable shortwave radio?

Tom P
03-06-2005, 19:12
Anyone have a recommendation for a portable shortwave radio? I do not have anything now. Mostly I'm looking to pick up AM talk radio stations and wander thru shortwave. A friend at work has a Grundig YP400PE and likes it. A couple others that have been turning up have been the Sony ICF-7600g and Sangean ATS-909. Anyone have a favorite?

Mack45
03-06-2005, 20:35
I have a Grundig YB 400 PE. I really like it. For the money it is hard to beat.

teeuu
03-12-2005, 10:50
I own both the Grundig (Yacht Boy 400) & the Sony (ICF-SW-7600G) you mentioned. They both perform very well & either would be a great choice.

The Grundig has "better" - fuller, richer - sound, and a nicer display with more info. It sounds very nice listening to local FM stations. It performs very well on shortwave and the switchable bandwith can be a valuable aid in steering around interference.

The Sony has synch detection, which is a sophisticated reception mode which "locks onto" a signal and helps reduce the fading in & out which is common on the shortwave bands where the signal you are listening to might be bouncing a quarter of the way 'round the world before it gets to you. The Sony only needs 4 batteries, as opposed to the 6 for the Grundig, so the Sony is a little easier to feed. The Sony does not have a switchable bandwidth filter, but the one bandwidth filter it has seems to work very well and, combined with the sync detection, is a combo that works very well for shortwave.

Most of my shortwave listening is speech, not music. For that, the *slightly* "tinnier" sound of the Sony is clearer for me to listen to with my - er - sub-standard hearing.

Between the two, I prefer the Sony for Shortwave listening, and the Grundig for listening to local AM or FM.

You might try to find someplace where you can actually operate them. Their operation is quite different & you may find you prefer one to the other just based on ergonomics.

Both of these radios stand among the finest portable radios ever built. Either would be a great choice and both offer an excellent price/performance/size ratio.

Mack45
03-12-2005, 13:51
Does the Sony have SSB (sideband) capabilities? I know that the Grundig has it, I listen to the amateur bands with it. A big plus in my book.
Mack45

teeuu
03-12-2005, 15:47
Originally posted by Mack45
Does the Sony have SSB (sideband) capabilities? I know that the Grundig has it, I listen to the amateur bands with it. A big plus in my book.
Mack45
Yes, the ICF-SW-7600-G will recieve AM, FM (stereo through headphones), and SSB.

JaviFL
03-12-2005, 21:58
That Sony unit looks pretty capable. Can anybody vouch for its sensitivity? I just got rid of my Icom R75. Missed this past DX season. Will not happen again! I'll probably purchase that Sony this summer.

teeuu
03-13-2005, 11:06
Tom P, if you are considering a sw receiver you should really pick up a copy of the book "Passport to World Band Radio". It's commonly available at bookstores, or you can buy it online at:

http://www.passband.com

This one book will tell you everything you need to know - from what is worldband radio, what radio features are helpful and why, radio reviews, as well as program schedules and reviews.

They're straight shooters, their reviews can be believed, and they offer a lot of insights on design & manufacturing.

What kind of radio do I need? What kind of antenna?, What can I expect to hear? OK, I have a radio, now where do I listen? All of these questions are answered in clear, easy to understand language.

It's a great book for anyone interested in shortwave listening.

Tom P
03-13-2005, 12:52
www.passband.com

WOW! Got some reading to do....lots of good info.

Thanks Much

gdog
03-27-2005, 11:41
I have a YB400 and love it. I picked it up from Universal Radio. It is factory refurbished and I can't tell it from new. Came with all accessories as a new one for 99 dollars.

Tom P
03-27-2005, 19:10
Friday I ordered the Sony 7600. The reviews have been very similar for both, but a friend has the Grundig and wanted to compare it to the Sony, so now we can compare. Should be here by friday....