Good gun/holster settup for tight dressers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good gun/holster settup for tight dressers?

emt1581
03-07-2005, 00:57
I guess pretty much everyone who surfs the WI forum reads the new threads. So yall probably saw my last post asking about purses.

I'm curious how many of you dress in fashionably tight clothing (not skin over baloney and popping out of your tops and bottoms ;)), but still manage to carry a pistol on your body. What pistol/holster is the best choice for someone who wears tight jeans and tank tops?

My gf loves the G19, but I just don't see it being a good IWB or OWB pistol settup for her.

Also, she HATES revolvers with a passion so they are out.

You can see the choices she has in my signature lines, if there is something else out there that may be better, by all means share.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

Smokecloud
03-07-2005, 21:37
for tight clothes, I would say that her Keltec would probably be the best choice of those that she already has. place it in a nice ankle holster. no matter how tight the jeans, they usually have a little room at the bottom of the pantleg. Those that are serious about carrying full time, usually accept that we will have to adjust our wardrobe to accomodate. Im not saying she has to dress like crap, but even a just carrying a overshirt or sporty little jacket, even light weight, with your keltec zipped in the pocket works nice. I have hidden a full size 1911 in shorts with no shirt on, I had my loose long sleeve wrapped around my waist, covering my gun inside the waistband of my shorts. Purses are usually targets of thieves and if a badguy approaches, I guarantee he/she will be leary of hands diving into a purse if he doesnt already have possession of it.

the pager pal hidden holsters work ok if you put a real pager or cell phone on them.

Mrs.Cicero
03-11-2005, 19:30
i used to live in rather tight jeans and tank tops. unfortunately, i like my HK USP Compact more than my sense of fashion, so now i throw on obnoxious Hawaiian print shirts on top of the tank to cover the gun. It isn't a perfect solution, because you can still tell there is something there when i bend over, but people generally assume it's a pager or phone. Sometimes i use a belly bag. If i'm going someplace with a better dress code, the gun has to go in the purse. There is just nowhere to put it when you are 5'4'' 125# and built like a stick. When my two year old grows up and stops pulling on my legs, i may find a smaller gun i can carry at the ankle. But i'm not holding my breath for one i like as much as the HK.

Mrs.C

Cat91
03-12-2005, 15:49
I've taken to doing similar things for the Colts when I'm carrying on-body. I was using a cheap shoulder rig til I broke it. Thinking about a Galco Miami Classic now. But when I'm dressed for work, the purse is my only real good option.

Miao, Cat

taiken1666
03-14-2005, 14:58
Check out Smartcarry. www.smartcarry.com/exposed.htm I've seen women conceal with this system and I still don't believe how well it works!

Melissa Ann
03-18-2005, 12:25
How about this one in .44special?? Nice defensive round, tiny gun, might even be able to conceal it right inside her bra. (I was going to suggest prison carry but that might not received in the spirit of humor, as intended) http://www.amderringer.com/m7.html

Or this one in 45acp - with 5 shots. Again pretty small for all that stopping power... http://www.amderringer.com/lms.html but at $2660, that might be a little out of reach for some folks…

They make tiny purse holsters for some of them too... http://www.amderringer.com/pholsters.html

I don’t think I ever saw a smaller, more concealable gun than a Derringer - maybe you ought to consider one for her.

Or as someone else suggested, Kel-Tecs are pretty small. I had thought about getting one as a back-up gun, but my BF got me a nice S&W J-frame for Christmas, so back-up gun is covered. :)

From your list:
G20 – fine gun – doubt she’d want to conceal it though in her favorite type of attire
G19 – ditto, though the 19 would probably be easier to conceal than the 20
FN 5.7x28 – neat gun, expensive ammo, don’t think I’d want one, saw one at the range about month ago though. I don’t really see the need for armor-piercing ammo, myself, but that’s probably another thread. The gun looked to be of concealable size. But if she’s having problems concealing the G19, I don’t see this being any or much easier.
Ruger MK II – not exactly a carry gun, but a nice gun – I’ve got one.
S&W 649 – great gun, quite a bit of kick though, but less than the lightweight guns.
KelTec – probably the one that she’d be able to conceal best, although it wouldn't be my first choice for primary CCW, it would be a fine choice for a back-up gun - YMMV
Mossburg Mariner – good home defense gun. Not concealable, unless wearing a trenchcoat. ;)
AR-7 – not very concealable ;)
AK-47 – ditto – personally, I prefer the AR-10
NAA .22lr – pretty concealable, could probably slip right down in the center of her bra too, but if I’m correct, this one’s out since she hates revolvers.
Outback II Suppressor – I just don’t understand the need or desire to own class III, but I won’t say anyone else can’t, as long as they’re being used responsibly.

My honest thoughts on the matter are, if she's not willing to change her apparrel to allow her to conceal a good, reliable, CCW, then she shouldn't go out anywhere without you to protect her. Or else she better go to the range often and make sure she can get excellent shot placement each and every time with the Kel-Tec - from whatever she's carrying it in - holster, purse, daytimers, sexy little thigh holster like Rita in the 1990s tv show "Silk Stalkings" - and if I was her, I'd practice head shots/ocular window, becaue with the 380 she may not have the power to go through a heavy winter coat, or a larger/muscular/fatter person - a good shot to the ocular window is pretty certain to stop the threat. JMO. YMMV.

Or perhaps she ought to try something other than CCW - mace/pepper spray, hand-to-hand, kubaton, etc.

Take care, Stay safe,
Melissa

Cat91
03-19-2005, 21:13
I've been thinking about a Charter Arms .44 Spl. Bulldog to supplement my brace of .38 Colts. :)

Miao, Cat

emt1581
03-19-2005, 22:39
Thanks for the reply, but the kick of a .44 and capacity of a derringer wouldn't suit her purposes.

She hates revolvers too so the other suggestion won't work. But thanks.

I appreciate the advice, so far I'm thinking that eventually I might buy her a Kahr or maybe give her the Sig to carry and just switch back to the stock grips. That is definitly a slim, concealable gun.

Dunno if any of yall have this problem, but when she puts her pants on...

In the front (by the snap) there is sometimes some looseness in the waist area. So maybe the smart-carry would work nicely. Other times, specially when she squats or sits, there is loosness in the rear (by the plumbers crack), so I'm thinking maybe in IWB might work...such decisions;Q

Thanks!

-Emt1581

PilotKitten
03-19-2005, 23:57
Sometimes there may be looseness in the front area but if there's a big gap in the back when she sits down then her pants do not fit her right.

I could never figure out why mine did that until I went and instead of just automatically choosing my size to try on I tried on several different sizes in different lengths (below waist, just below waist, at waist, etc)... then I finally found a pair that fit just right and I realized (and was quite happy) that I didn't have that poof in the back when I sat down.

I don't carry but I imagine when I will eventually do so that I will try to fit my wardrobe more around the holster and the weapon than the other way around. I think, for me, it's a matter of priorities... do I want to look good or be safe?

Kolchak
03-20-2005, 05:57
Originally posted by taiken1666
Check out Smartcarry. www.smartcarry.com/exposed.htm I've seen women conceal with this system and I still don't believe how well it works!

I second that. When I ordered mine I was not very hopeful, but they really have the fit thing down to a science. However, I do carry a small revolver in it.

Glockgirl26
03-21-2005, 11:12
I don't think IWB will work well for your girlfriend especially if she wears the lower rise girl jeans, not with the way these styles sit right on the hips. If she's not willing to compromise the way she dresses at all, it leaves her with far fewer options, there's no way around it.

PilotKitten
03-21-2005, 11:20
Precisely.

No offense to be specifically talking about YOUR woman but I have heard several ladies (And some men) complain about being "fashionable" while CCW... to me, that's just kinda stupid.

Either you want to look good or you want to protect yourself (and your family, kids, truck, whatever).... I've seen some just throw the biggest HISSY FITS because they can't wear their "good" clothes and would sometimes rather choose to look good over being armed.... ;Q

WIG19
03-22-2005, 12:23
Originally posted by PilotKitten
I think, for me, it's a matter of priorities... do I want to look good or be safe?
Does Murph know how lucky he is....?
:)

PilotKitten
03-22-2005, 12:26
Originally posted by WIG19
Does Murph know how lucky he is....?
:)

I think so?

But you might want to tell him just in case!! `l ;f

WIG19
03-22-2005, 13:10
You're obviously a "find" and have your priorities squared away.
Hopefully he won't get into any playground-type stuff at Lackland, as in:
"My girl can kick YOUR girl's ***! "
"Cannot!"
"Can to!"
"Cannot"
"Can to!"
(just kidding)

Many here wish him well, so luck to you both.
Hey, at least you won't have to author any threads starting with "How do I get my (gf/bf) to understand about carrying?"
;?

PilotKitten
03-22-2005, 16:17
Well I probably CAN kick their ass... ;f PK does not hit like a girl.

And lol no I probably won't be starting threads like that....

More along the line of "Why won't he let me buy another Glock?";)

Vic303
03-23-2005, 08:53
Originally posted by Glockgirl26
I don't think IWB will work well for your girlfriend especially if she wears the lower rise girl jeans, not with the way these styles sit right on the hips. If she's not willing to compromise the way she dresses at all, it leaves her with far fewer options, there's no way around it.
Actually, I find the Levi 529 lowrise jeans to be perfect for IWB carry. Most jeans have too high a rise for me, and when I wear them in the 'regular' position on my hips, the excess rise makes for uncomfortable carry and BAD drawing as the pants come UP with the pistol no matter how tight the belt. With the 529's there is no 'slack' the draw is good, and I have no discomfort. FYI, I'm 5'6 180, female, and carry a Kimber ProCarry 1911 IWB with a 1.5" Wilson/Rafter S belt in either a UCR or VM-II.

PilotKitten
03-23-2005, 13:11
What position do you carry at?

I've been looking into holster/belt setups lately and I read a lot about women having a hard time finding a "good" one. It will probably be several months before I even get a gun... and another year or so until I get a CHL.

I'm 5'2" and just under 180. Have a wedding in May (no... not my own ;) ) to be in so I'm planning on losing some weight for that... but still... I'm pretty short so I'm looking for something that won't dig into my ribs.

That's why I was looking into that smartcarry link posted above.

Vic303
03-23-2005, 13:35
I carry IWB at 3:30-4:00 generally for greatest comfort.
PM sent to you PK with other info.
--Vic

Glockgirl26
03-23-2005, 14:14
I guess the point is that if you want to carry on your person, be willing to make some changes in your wardrobe. I am 5'10" tall, 165 lbs. Not exactly thin, but not overweight for as tall as I am. I don't have wide hips at all, but have just enough hipbone to shove an IWB-carried gun right under my ribcage. Good for concealment but not too comfy to wear for a long period of time.

Southerngal carries IWB at the small of her back, but I don't know what holster she uses. She carries the G19, and she's a pretty small girl.

Vic, do those Levi's come in tall sizes? BTW, I love your avatar.:)

Vic303
03-23-2005, 14:18
GlockGirl, I actually just buy the mens 529's and either get the correct inseam, or buy long & re-hem them myself, now that I have a machine capable of sewing thru that much denim. I see them with long inseams on ebay all the time. Search for '529 jeans' , then refine it by choosing your waist size or inseam size.
--Vicky

Glockgirl26
03-24-2005, 06:55
Vic, I buy men's pants once in awhile too, it's sometimes easier to find them long enough for me. I'll have to look for that style, thanks!

Vic303
03-24-2005, 08:32
567 jeans are a little baggier fit, but also lowrise Levi's. I actually prefer the carry-fit on the 529s though.