Is cardio ok right after upper body workout? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is cardio ok right after upper body workout?

pellertpale
03-07-2005, 17:34
I plan on jogging on non-lifting days for overall energy, and recovery. Is this better than same day cardio?

Chevytuff19
03-08-2005, 00:55
I usually jog for 3/4 or 1 mile just before my workout to get my blood flowing. I am fixing to start trying to jog 2 miles on off days to add just a little more cardio to my workouts. Cardio can usually be done longer on off days without affecting your lifting; but I think a little cardio warmup is good even on lifting days.

Hope that helps a little,
Wes

California Jack
03-08-2005, 15:42
Maybe I shouldn't reply to this thread. But, I'm against jogging for people trying to either gain strength or put on mass.

Jack

Perry F.
03-08-2005, 16:02
Originally posted by California Jack
Maybe I should'nt reply to this thread. But, I'm against jogging for people trying to either gain strength of put on mass.

Jack

Well how you suppose to keep you cardiac endurance up? Supersets?

California Jack
03-08-2005, 16:24
Perry,

Well how you suppose to keep you cardiac endurance up?

I'm not sure I am supposing to keep up cardio endurance? I said I don't like jogging if you are trying to gain mass or strength. However, I think there are certain types of cardio that don't conflict or don't conflict too much with those goals, such as; Sled dragging, 50 reps in 20 minute workouts, Sprinting, High intensity interval training (both running and rowing), Tabata protocol or perhaps even the CrossFit protocol (Google CrossFit).

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out. But how's that for starters?

BTW, I'm not saying jogging is bad, I'm just saying it is contrary to some goals.

Try Clarence Bass' website.

Jack

pellertpale
03-09-2005, 12:25
Originally posted by California Jack
Perry,

I'm not sure I am supposing to keep up cardio endurance? I said I don't like jogging if you are trying to gain mass or strength. However, I think there are certain types of cardio that don't conflict or don't conflict too much with those goals, such as; Sled dragging, 50 reps in 20 minute workouts, Sprinting, High intensity interval training (both running and rowing), Tabata protocol or perhaps even the CrossFit protocol (Google CrossFit).

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out. But how's that for starters?

BTW, I'm not saying jogging is bad, I'm just saying it is contrary to some goals.

Try Clarence Bass' website.

Jack

That's what I was wondering about. I want to add twenty more pounds to my bench press, but I don't want cardio to interfere.

45acp4me
03-09-2005, 12:37
Originally posted by pellertpale
That's what I was wondering about. I want to add twenty more pounds to my bench press, but I don't want cardio to interfere.

The problem with cardio is it also burns fat/muscle at the same time. You have to eat even more afterwards to keep your gains going.

I took a break from trying to make big gains for a while and just played sports and did a cardio workout a couple times a week along with just enough lifting to stay toned. Now that I am looking to gain again, I only hit the elliptical machine for 15 minutes as a warm up and then start my lifting.

Eat good foods and lots of it, keep the cardio stuff down while you are trying to gain.

Regards,
Glen

California Jack
03-09-2005, 16:12
peller,

I suggest that you look into Westside Barbell philosophy. Not necessarily for their bench training, but for what they call GPP (General Physical Preperation I think). Westside is a powerlifting team, so I don't think they would follow a training style that wouldn't let them gain strength, yet they do GPP.

The Clarence Bass site I talked about earlier may be of help. For conditioning, you may also try hill sprints, sandbag carries, and good old wind sprints, after all, most quality sprinters can out-bench marathoners.

Let me know what you find out.

Jack

mossy500camo
03-09-2005, 23:16
I bicycle in the mornings and workout /w weights at night.

Britt
03-11-2005, 13:35
I am trying to gain muscle mass but I run a mile before I start working out. Basically it gets you warmed up. A mile is really nothing.

El Duderino
03-11-2005, 13:53
HIIT is one of the best ways to spare lean muscle mass while burning fat calories. Warming up is one thing, but I would not do full on cardio on lifting days if I was natural and seriously trying to gain mass.

geminicricket
05-28-2005, 08:19
My trainer tells me to get the heart rate up before the strength training, then do the cardio after the strength training. They're very adamant about that.

I jog for a few minutes on the treadmill before the strength training.
Usually about .5 mile.