Doing a Fire Safety Class for kids, any tips? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Doing a Fire Safety Class for kids, any tips?

jlw_84
03-07-2005, 22:05
So I'm leading this Fire Safety/First Aid class for a group of kids next week. I've done this every year for a few years now.

Basically, I'm looking for any tips from you guys on things to add, maybe a few activities, or whatever you think. The kids are age range from 10-17.

Its a two hour program, and I do bring our sqaud, engine, and rescue truck, so at the end, I let my guys have a "show and tell" with the kids. I think the FF's enjoy that as much if not more than the kids do.

DepChief
03-09-2005, 08:47
Go to www.fema.gov, click on link to National Fire Academy, the go to publications. They have tons of stuff you can order for kids, like coloring books, tapes, posters, and "learn not to burn" cirriculum. Its all free and they get it to you pretty quick. Also check with local insurance companies, they usually have Fire Ed books for kids or they can get it.

jlw_84
03-09-2005, 15:37
Yeah, I have already ordered and recieved plenty of materials from FEMA as well as the Ohio State Fire Marshall's Office.

;)

oldstyle
03-10-2005, 08:43
Being low man on the totem pole, I was volunteered to dress as Sparky the Fire Dog for a school presentation. The animated characters are a big hit with elementary grades.

Also, anything the kids can take home are good ways to get the safety info into the home and to other family members.

Have FUN!:)