share some healthy recipes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : share some healthy recipes

tiva
03-08-2005, 11:54
Could someone please share some healthy recipes. I have decided to start eating healthy and could use some tips. I like eating alot of chicken, fish, porkchops, and steak but I need some new ideas I have started eating smaller portions to beacause I used to eat until my beltline got tight and then eat a little more I am not anywhere near being overweight but I am developing a nice GUT. I also appreciate the occasional Budlight but that is not a problem so any who could help me eat a little more healthy my wife would appreciate it very much.

California Jack
03-08-2005, 16:39
Of course, it depends what you call healthy. There seems to be many philosophies concerning what a healthy diet is. Ray Audette's version of a healthy diet is much different than Dean Adel's. Dr. Atkin's idea is different than the AHA. The Dr.s Eades idea of a healthy diet will be different than Weight Watchers.

FWIW, I think a good idea may be to follow Body For Life, in both it's exercise and dietary prescription.

In a different strategy, Google together the terms "Meat, Leaves Berries" and "Dan John". Could be another healthy way of eating. You need to figure out what heathy diet is right for you.

tiva
03-09-2005, 11:32
I just want some ideas of what works for the healthy people out there. I mean come on this is the health forum I know there has got to be some healthy,in shape people that eat right and I was just wondering if they could share some of there recipes. I am not necessarily on any type of diet I just want to eat healthy. I love to sit down to a chicken fried steak, mash potatoes, fried okra, and some bread rolls, but I know that is not a healthy dinner. I just want some ideas of what works for you health nuts out there.^2

Glock13
03-14-2005, 21:07
Here's my favorite:

One box of macaroni & cheese.
Two cans of tuna on top.

Izze
03-15-2005, 21:04
Tiva: What has really worked for me for the last couple of years is a diet real high in protein and complex carbs. My typical daily menu is something like this: 5:30 AM: 6 egg whites and cup of oatmeal
8:30 AM: Protein shake
Noon, 3 and 6 PM: chicken breast, 1
cup of brown rice and 1/2 c of veggies.
9:00 PM 1 cup cottage cheese

I put salsa on everthing but the oatmeal! Some folks put different spices on the chix and rice, but salsa does the trick for me. I happen to love chicken, and it is easy to nuke. You can substitute lean beef or seafood.

I eat this way 6 days a week, and on the seventh day, I eat whatever I want, which keeps me from feeling deprived. Typically, during the winter, I will have a couple glasses of good dark beer after work.

Good Lord, it sounds boring doesn't it? <shrug> I am hungry for it every three hours, and it tastes good to me.

S

geminicricket
05-28-2005, 07:56
Tiva, I'll tell you what my trainer told me.

Diet:

Meal 1, 5 egg whites, prepared without fat or salt, plus one entire egg prepared without fat or salt. (I boil or poach my eggs, and separate the cooked yolk from the high-protien white.) A serving of starchy carbohydrates, such as 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, again served dry.
Meal 2, 3 hours later. 1 serving of green vegetables, and a protien drink. (I use cheap whey protein powder from Wal-Mart, and my green vegetables is frozen broccoli cooked in a 1-cup Pyrex container in a microwave, this is equivalent to steaming and broccoli agrees with me, ymmv)
Meal 3, 3 hours later. Repeat as meal 2, add 5-6 oz of baked sweet potato and add 14 almonds. The sweet potato is a starchy carb, excellent source of nutrients, and necessary 6 hours after the first starchy carb meal. The almonds are the fat I'm allowed to have each day.
Meal 4, 3 hours later. Repeat meal 2.
Meal 5, 3 hours later, Repeat meal 3, minus the almonds.
Meal 6, if necessary, repeat meal 2, minus the vegetables.
Nothing after 9:00 pm.

Strength training:

30 minutes each session, 3 sessions per week. Allow each muscle group to rest and recover for 6 or 7 days before hitting it again.

Cardio training:

30 minutes every day, getting my heart rate up around 125 and keeping it there until the session ends.

I can have one cheat meal occasionally with a clean conscience, but cheat days mean that I'm not on the plan at all.

My observations: I'm easily able to survive on the meal plan all the way up to and including meal 4. By the time I get to meal 5, I'm usually back home and near the refrigerator, and I often fail to make the whole day through on the diet plan. Still, see my "Men envy me" thread.

This is a plan designed to get me from 30% body fat to 17% by burning more calories than I eat through both regular cardio training and strength training to add muscle mass. The increased muscle mass will increase my metabolic rate. Eventually, when I get the first goal met, other slightly less restrictive dietary parameters will be set.

The strength training and cardio training must never end. So many people have told me to get Arnold's book,that I think I may ask for it for Christmas.

runnergirl
06-01-2005, 20:04
Where are the fruits and veggies people??? Fiber and antioxidents are good things.

Here are a variety of easy options for meals and snacks

Breakfast ideas:
Oatmeal
Kashi Go lean Crunch-high in protien and fiber
lf peanut butter on whole wheat toast (100% whole wheat-not the stuff next to the white bread that's labeled "wheat")
lf yogurt
lf cottage cheese with chunked up apple and a bit of cinnamon
kashi frozen waffles (again, high protien and fiber) with fruit
eggs (one egg to two whites is a nice ratio for flavor and less fat)

Lunch (if you're taking it with you):
homemade tuna on wheat made with a dab of lf mayo
low salt turkey and lf cheese in a high protien tortilla with spinich and mustard
green salad with chicken breast chunks and a lf dressing
guiltless gormet corn chips (lf and high fiber, whole grain)
lean pockets ultra (suprisingly good, high sodium though)

Dinner (add green salad w lf/ff dressing to all meals):
chipotle infused buffalo burgers with homemade salsa (to die for!!!)
grilled chicken breast with whole wheat pasta and homemade pesto sauce
pork tenderloin with mashed potatoes (made with ff plain yogurt)
grilled salmon with grilled zucchini and asperagus

Snacks:
kashi brand granola bars (120 cals, 5g protein, 4g fiber)
apples, pears, bananas, baby carrots, green pepper chunks, oranges, grapes, berries of all kinds, cucumber slices
mini cups of cottage cheese
lf string cheese

Other tips:
buy a kitchen scale -(TJ max usually has good ones for under $20) and weigh almost everything. It's very hard to eyeball 4 oz. of meat if you haven't been doing it for a while.

Plan a weekly menu, don't go to the gorcery store hungry etc

Buy a couple copies of Cooking Light magazine-all their recipies are broken down with nutritional info and are usually very yummy.

SouthernGal
06-03-2005, 09:34
Second on that thought about fiber and veggies.

My typical breakfast consists of a whole wheat bagel (Sara Lee Delightful bagels--120 calories, 6 gm fiber) with light cream cheese or a bowl of Rasin Bran with skim milk or a piece of fruit with lowfat yogurt (Yoplait Whips).

Lunch is generally my biggest meal of the day. I try to do two servings of any kind of veggie (my favorites are broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, zucchini, squash & asparagus) and one serving of meat (usually chicken or fish and the portion size is about the size of the palm of my hand). If I eat a salad, you can bet the dressing is a low calorie one. I prefer my veggies steamed or grilled (grilled asparagus and zucchini are the bomb).

Dinner is usually light M-Thursday. Friday I may eat more because I stay up later.

A good way to cook chicken--
Take boneless skinless chicken breasts and dip them in a mixture of egg white and skim milk, then roll them in a mixture of Italian Bread crumbs, Seasoning Salt, Pepper and any other seasonings you might like. Bake at 350 until done and no pink appears inside.

RockinAR
06-07-2005, 17:29
I like "pink inside"