Mule Kills Mountain Lion: Is this real? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mule Kills Mountain Lion: Is this real?

wl2pwr
03-08-2005, 13:35
http://www.blackbearheaven.com/horse-kills-cougar.htm

Check the above link. I found it amazing since I always considered Mountain Lions the most dangerous North American, mammalian predator after the Grizzly. Perhaps it was young/inexperienced or old?

Either that or a hoax.

I have no experience with either Mules or Mtn. Lions, and wonder what the Westerners think.

wade farley
03-08-2005, 13:48
:cool: ;f

Dandapani
03-08-2005, 14:28
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/mulelion.asp

Claim: Photographs show a mule attacking (and killing) a mountain lion.

mpol777
03-08-2005, 15:07
This has been shown here before. My personal opinion is that the lion was already dead when the mule went at it. My reasons:

1) One of my friend's mules stomped a mud hole in two very dead coyotes I left near the corral. The same mule is worthless for bear hunting. It goes nuts anytime it's even near a bear hide. Some mules just can't get past the thing being a predator. One of the reasons donkies and some mules, depending on which took more of a hold on them, aren't good around dogs.

2) Having your picture taken with your quarry on the back of your mount is very common. It lets the hunter show off his mule/horse and what he bagged all in the same shot. No man in his right mind would grab a camera instead of a gun if a live mountain lion was going after his mule. My guess is the lion was loaded up for a picture and the mule decided he wanted to make sure what was on his back was dead first.

3) There's dogs there. If a fella was running his dogs and they cornered or treed a lion they would be there 15-30 minutes before the guy showed up. Then he'd park his mount and go have look at what he has. The only way for the cat to get to the lion is through the dogs and hunter. Could happen, but not likely. The mule would never be the first on the scene and no lion without giant brass balls would attack a mule surrounded by a guy and pack of dogs.

ECVMatt
03-08-2005, 17:03
I think the catamount was dead before the mule got there. Although it appears to be fighting back in the first photo, it really looks as though its' dead body is being flung from side to side. I do not have a ton of experience with mules, but the ones I ride would not go for this type of thing.

Matt

freakshow10mm
03-09-2005, 22:22
Prolly been done before.

akbound
03-20-2005, 14:11
I would say it is entirely possible (as it has happened before). More than a few people have been terribly maimed or killed by horses, mules, and such by a single kick, let alone being stomped repeatedly.

Just as black and grizzly bears have also been occasionally killed by livestock or ungulates. It's not often that the table gets turned on the predators, but it does happen!

Dave

Dogbite
03-20-2005, 16:38
It is very possible.If the cougar was to get caught by a hard kick from the back leg,it might be all over--their kicks will get your undivided attention..

Wet Dog
03-21-2005, 07:44
I couldn't see any marks on the mule. I would think the cat would have gotten in a swipe or two at very least. I've heard of several dogs killed or injured by cats when it was legal to hunt here with dogs.

A few years ago a British Columbian mountain biker killed a cougar with a pocket knife. Sometimes the prey can prevail.

Walter45Auto
04-12-2005, 22:37
That thing had to have already been dead. Fine lookin' cat though.

;g

;8 ;I