I started tuning my new carb last night [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I started tuning my new carb last night

Ghetto
03-08-2005, 16:54
What an adventure ;P

Now keep in mind that I am a carb newb,I know more than the average Joe but that's about it. I had a friend with me that knows just about as much as me about carbs so it was fun to say the least. From when we started at 5:30 in the evening to 2:30 this morning we had:

Fuel fountain through the front vent
A fireball ;P
Glowing red headers
Dead battery and a battery charger with some jumper cables attached ;P
Smoking out my apt complex
Started it with 7 plugs installed (whoops)
Swapped plugs twice
..and finally drove the car while it pinged so bad that we parked it for the night/morning.

Needless to say that it was intresting and I know my neighbors love me,glad I'm moving at the end of the month ;f

For those wondering it's a Holley 4150 650 chocked full of Barry Grant goodies ;)

phxtravis
03-08-2005, 21:10
carbs dont normally need that much adjustment out of the box, just minor ones to get the most performance. If you happened to live in phoenix, I could supply you some more tuning parts that I have lying around.

Geeorge
03-09-2005, 05:29
It sounds to me like the timing is off too or you have problems in the ignition system.

The fuel coming out of the front bowl vent was probably caused by the float being stuck in the down position.Is this a new carb or one that has been sitting awhile?

Ghetto
03-09-2005, 05:56
Originally posted by Cletus VanDamme
It sounds to me like the timing is off too or you have problems in the ignition system.

The fuel coming out of the front bowl vent was probably caused by the float being stuck in the down position.Is this a new carb or one that has been sitting awhile?

It's been freshly rebuilt except for replacing the front float,once the fuel shot through the vent we both knew what it was and grabbed a float out of another carb that we had sitting around. The timing was WAY off at 40* and that's what caused the glowing headers. We retimed it to 15* and took it for a spin and ir ran good untill you hit about 4000 and the pinging began. I ordered new jets for it and they'll be in today so I'll swap them tonight and see how it runs.

I had an Edelbrock on it and the car ran great but the car would not launch on any kind of sticky tire,whenever I had weight transfer the car would stutter and bog,it still ran a 12.9 though launching at idle ;f

Ghetto
03-09-2005, 05:57
Originally posted by phxtravis
carbs dont normally need that much adjustment out of the box, just minor ones to get the most performance. If you happened to live in phoenix, I could supply you some more tuning parts that I have lying around.

I'll pay shipping if you want to ship them.

streeter69
03-11-2005, 08:27
Ghetto, sounds like a bad needle and seat. My truck has a holley on it and it is a temper mental wench;Q Also, what is your fuel pressure? I found anything over 8 psi will give you the same problems.

Ghetto
03-11-2005, 18:12
Fuel pressure is at 6PSI right now and I drove the car around a little last night but it pings like Hell above 4000 RPM and at WOT. I'm going to retard the timing a little more tomorrow and see how it goes on motor then it's time to turn on the bottle ^~

Ghetto
03-13-2005, 10:03
Whoops http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=356915

The car runs great now and we finished the MSD 6AL install last night but it still seems to run a little lean. It's got 76s (jets) in the fronts and 80s in the backs and the car still runs a little lean ;P

Oh did I mention that I pulled the front wheels last night,on motor and on the street ;)

One Ragged Hole
03-15-2005, 11:52
Check the Power Valve rating. On engines with big cams (low vacuum) the power valve can fluctuate (open) and give wrong indications of jetting. Try and jet up only the primarys first. You did check float level after replacement? Try retarding the timing more. You have too much once the centrifical timing comes in, hence the pinging. You should have no more than about 38degrees total. You are running Premium I assume.
O-R-H

CGuns
03-15-2005, 12:38
You think you have it rough?

Try tuning the 6 Downdraught Weber Carbs on this thing. They sit inside an aluminum airbox,which is located under the hump in the hood.
Talk about a pain in the A**.

Regards, CGuns

(P.S. For the record, this isn't mine)

http://www.carclassic.com/images7/DL19/DL19-05.jpg

Ghetto
03-15-2005, 12:45
The Rambo Lambo :drool:

streeter69
03-16-2005, 06:15
I do some side work on 2 cars both V-8's both running webers. Syncing those are hard enough, I can not imagine doing a V-12^2

Ghetto
03-16-2005, 06:16
Now if I can get this rain to go away I could drive the damn thing :cool:

CGuns
03-16-2005, 06:34
Originally posted by streeter69
I do some side work on 2 cars both V-8's both running webers. Syncing those are hard enough, I can not imagine doing a V-12^2

Try a V12 with 6. Several of the high end Italians in the 1980's ran with 6 Weber carbs. The early model LM002's, from 1986-1989 ran with the carb system and the 1990-1993 versions switched over to fuel injection. The LM002 carb engine borrowed heavily from the Countach, which, at the time ran 6 Weber's in a sidedraught configuration...3 on each bank. A lot of guys ended up having their mechanics make special rigs to simplify the process and there have been some interesting creations.

Ghetto
03-16-2005, 18:27
Are you a Lambo tech?

CGuns
03-16-2005, 18:45
No, I am not even a mechanic. Read profile if you like.
I own/have owned all sorts of cars and do take a hands on approach to my ownership experience. I am one of the few owners that gets their hands dirty!

CGuns
03-16-2005, 18:51
95% of the time I am inclined to just drop it off. Warranty or no warranty. The H1's I have gotten pretty hands-on with. The local Hummer/Cadillac dealership is incompetent so I found a really good independent mechanic that has, no joke, at least 25 computers in his shop all on a T1 internet connection. I managed to negotiate for the factory AMG Hummer H1 service manuals and that, combined with the internet and 2 brains yields very positive results on the H1.
My buddy has a 6.0 Lambo Diablo. This is the newest and last of the Diablo series. The predecessors were 5.7L. His Oil Pressure gauge isn't working and the local dealer is also incompetent, so, we fixed it ourselves. Found that the Oil Pressure Sender was faulty and ordered a replacement. It is always fun to find where Lambo stuffs stuff in these cars. OPS was right in front of the rear left wheel in a special enclosure, embedded into the body of the car. Not the easiest thing to get to.;g

streeter69
03-17-2005, 05:46
CGuns....My new pet project is a lambo eurocco, what a POS. So far I fixed 3 elec shorts (I hate electrical problems). In the next 2 weeks I have to fix his brakes. I warned my buddy not to buy this car but he had to have it;Q

CGuns
03-17-2005, 09:22
Gorgeous car. My favorite is probably the 400GT. The sound the car produces, from the carburated engine, no words can describe the feeling. The pull it has. They are really special cars. Very different then, from today's version.
If you need a part of two, let me know.

CGuns

BinLurking
03-18-2005, 21:44
Grandpa, what is a carburator? ;z

CGuns
03-19-2005, 00:26
You are bad, young grasshopper.

May I suggest a schoolin' on www.howstuffworks.com ?

Ghetto
03-19-2005, 07:41
Originally posted by BinLurking
Grandpa, what is a carburator? ;z

I wish I didn't know myself ;z

Here's an engine pic,yeah I know it's ugly and nothing matches but that really doesn't matter now does it ;)

Speed > Beauty

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/22/img_2933.jpg

What's funny is last weekend I went looking for a K&N filter to match my lid and a MSD cap/rotor. The local shop didn't have either and since I had a $50 credit with them I bought Accell stuff,not my favorite but it works.

streeter69
03-20-2005, 08:18
To me engine bay looks do not count. It is how fast it goes;f

.40CALJHP
03-20-2005, 11:01
how do we get club numbers on this site

jessz1
03-22-2005, 21:02
Thats a damn ford! No wonder it doesn't run right !!! Lol...

Just joking... ya get it dialed in yet or what? :)

Ghetto
03-23-2005, 06:22
Yup it runs great now and it goes on the dyno Friday morning at 9am sharp.

Looking for 400 RWHP on a small shot of nitrous and 290-300 RWHP on motor.

jessz1
03-23-2005, 16:17
That sounds reasonable. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!!

Ghetto
03-23-2005, 19:51
I just got back from making a few passes on the bottle,it hits 90 so quick that it's not even funny ;P

It doesn't feel like a 400 horse car but with my buddy and I both weighing 300lbs each we all know that's gonna slow it down.

I can't wait until Friday ;a