Help...Trying to build endurance/strength [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help...Trying to build endurance/strength

mhill
03-09-2005, 12:46
Ok so I've been on this workout routine for about a month now. I go every other day and do the following in this order.

40 Laps swimming 36minutes
3 sets of 30 at 80lbs seated rows.
3 sets of 30 at 90 then 80 and 80lbs on the ab crunch machine.
3 sets of 30 at 240 then 240 then 220 on the back extension machine.
2 sets of 15 at 50lbs on the bicept machine.

It doesn't seem to be getting any easier with the weights. The swimming is getting easier but the times aren't improving.

I thought after a while I would be able to go longer or put up more weight but that just isn't happening yet. I thought you could make good gains when you first start and then it would slow down?

How could I change up this workout to be able to improve quicker?

mhill

David Z
03-09-2005, 13:58
I think one month is too short a time to expect much change. Six weeks or so seems to be about the minimum time to notice changes from strength training. YMMV.

fowler
03-14-2005, 07:28
The swimming is very good ,keep at it. With any workout don,t make it so hard too fast that you give up. I would go lighter weights and a few more reps. Fast walking and jogging too. Try doing one exercise routine one day and another the other day . Set up a routine mwf weights and 20 minutes walking or running and tth swimming . Sat. Sun what ever you can get in. Don,t make it such a chore that you give up. Do it all year and have fun doing it and disipline. 1 month is to early ,look at your self in 6 months and adjust your routine.

David Z
03-14-2005, 14:22
Originally posted by fowler
I would go lighter weights and a few more reps.Really? More than 30 reps?

SDBettas
03-14-2005, 14:30
Will help you build your strength better than what you are doing. And an even better idea would be to vary your training regiment a little. Don't do so many isolation type exercises, for general strength building stick to the basics. Squat, Bench Press, Military Press, Ab work. Those are the only items you need. Change it up, don't always do the same workout. Workout hard, get sore, recover, repeat..

Wet Dog
03-18-2005, 10:42
If you can do 30+ reps I doubt you're doing much strength training, it's mostly aerobics.

Depending on your body muscle composition (fast/slow twich percentages) you need to adjust your rep range. Predomanantly slow twitchers do better with higher (15-20)reps, fast twitchers do better with less reps (4-8) for 60-80 of the population it's somewhere inbetween.

It's your fast twitch muscle fibers that need to be recruited during strength training. Use enough weight to cause "failure" (the point you can not do another rep with good form) in the 4-16 rep range.

When I raced bicycles it was believed that strength training was bad and would hurt my performance. I didn't take it up until my mid thirties. At 38 I set personal bests in my 40k Time Trial, my flying 200, the kilo and the 3k pursuit. My only regret is that I didn't start earlier in my life. Even Lance Armstrong does strength training.

Google 'Doctor Squat' and read some of his articles. He has articles on testing your muscle composition and how to train specific body types.

BCR
03-21-2005, 04:28
I too think you should be doing more weight and lower reps. Reps over 15 are probably not going to promote strength/muscle growth.

The swimming should be good for endurance.

Is there any particular reason for your choice of exercises? Seems like you're missing quite a few bodyparts.

I'd add some sort of bench presses, shoulder presses, squats or leg presses. Alternate between dumbbells, barbells, and machines.

Variety is the spice of life....and weight lifting! ;)

mhill
04-12-2005, 14:50
I agree I am missing a lot of bodyparts. My goal is not to spend 3 hours at the gym.

I've been training for a sailboat competition. I did a practice race last weekend and I can honestly say that my workout is working. I need to do something for my shoulders and pecks. I'm thinking about adding some pulldowns and some pushups to get ready.

Here's a link to my website in case anyone is interested in the kind of racing I do.

www.stlouiscats.com

Allegra
04-12-2005, 19:07
Originally posted by mhill
I agree I am missing a lot of bodyparts. My goal is not to spend 3 hours at the gym.

I've been training for a sailboat competition. I did a practice race last weekend and I can honestly say that my workout is working. I need to do something for my shoulders and pecks. I'm thinking about adding some pulldowns and some pushups to get ready.

Here's a link to my website in case anyone is interested in the kind of racing I do.

www.stlouiscats.com

I would think swimming would be enough for the shoulders and pecks
I get bored woorkin out in the gym
I do 2k of swimming everyday from mon-fri
A 10k run every other day
100++km bike on the weekends ( if my schedule permits )

A bonus would be I get to eat whetever I want

Links-

www.totalimmersion.net

www.chirunning.com

I highly recommend these guys

runnergirl
04-12-2005, 19:19
Total immersion is great for swimming...

They discuss the exact situation you describe...not getting any faster in the pool. Sadly thier seminars are VERY expensive, but everyone I know who has gone says they are worth every penny.

ehsteve
04-12-2005, 20:40
More weight, less reps--12 to 15 reps per set to start.

Train each muscle group once a week; e.g., chest and biceps Monday, legs Wednesday, back and triceps Friday, each followed by some cardio. Tuesday and Thursday can be straight-up cardio plus core (abs) work. It's easier if you go every (week)day so it's part of your everyday routine... it's true.

I noticed a big payoff from switching to more freeweights and hardly any "machines." Dumbbell press, barbell curl, etc., built muscle mass in ways I never saw with that nautilus stuff.

Allegra
04-12-2005, 20:43
Originally posted by runnergirl
Total immersion is great for swimming...

They discuss the exact situation you describe...not getting any faster in the pool. Sadly thier seminars are VERY expensive, but everyone I know who has gone says they are worth every penny.

I learned from the book :)
But you would need a partner to correct your mistakes

anomad
04-13-2005, 10:23
40 Laps swimming 36minutes
The swimming is getting easier but the times aren't improving.

How could I change up this workout to be able to improve quicker?

mhill

What kind of sets are you swimming? Just like the weights you have to mix it up. 500 warm up, 10x50, 5x100, and 500 warm down with pull bouys would be a good short workout. If you just get in and swim 2k then you will see very slow and very small improvements. Its still good to just swim steady once a week or so, but mix it up!

There are plenty of studies that show you are better off doing 10 reps on 3 body parts than 30 reps on one body part. Much less 3x30, that's way overkill.

mhill
04-14-2005, 11:46
Originally posted by anomad
What kind of sets are you swimming? Just like the weights you have to mix it up. 500 warm up, 10x50, 5x100, and 500 warm down with pull bouys would be a good short workout. If you just get in and swim 2k then you will see very slow and very small improvements. Its still good to just swim steady once a week or so, but mix it up!

There are plenty of studies that show you are better off doing 10 reps on 3 body parts than 30 reps on one body part. Much less 3x30, that's way overkill.

Thanks for the advice. I count by laps so 10x50=10 laps and 5x100=10 laps. What's the difference? Also how long do you rest in between starting another sequence. I was reading about some of the workouts for swimming and they are rediculously long for me. I'm trying to get out of the pool in about 40 minutes max. Believe it or not I really have a hard time keeping track of how many laps I do. My number one goal is really to do areobic exercise and keep my heart rate up for an extended period. So I don't want to rest too long between sets in the pool.

As far as the weights go. I totally agree with you for building muscle. However my goal is just endurance and non injury. If my goal was to lift more I would do shorter reps. My goal is actually to be able to lift the same amount longer. From what I've read about distance running the way to do this is to interval train. I have no idea how to interval train with weights. Perhaps someone could help?

mhill

anomad
04-15-2005, 13:05
Thanks for the advice. I count by laps so 10x50=10 laps and 5x100=10 laps. What's the difference? Also how long do you rest in between starting another sequence. I was reading about some of the workouts for swimming and they are rediculously long for me. I'm trying to get out of the pool in about 40 minutes max. Believe it or not I really have a hard time keeping track of how many laps I do. My number one goal is really to do areobic exercise and keep my heart rate up for an extended period. So I don't want to rest too long between sets in the pool.

As far as the weights go. I totally agree with you for building muscle. However my goal is just endurance and non injury. If my goal was to lift more I would do shorter reps. My goal is actually to be able to lift the same amount longer. From what I've read about distance running the way to do this is to interval train. I have no idea how to interval train with weights. Perhaps someone could help?

mhill

A 40 minute swim is great for general cardiovascular fitness. And since you are into yacht racing swimming could be exceptionally handy.
Try this, a 10 lap easy warm up. Then, do one lap on the minute ten times. That should give you 15-20 seconds rest between laps. For example, I swim 50 yards in at about a 40 second pace, rest 20, repeat. The first 2-3 feel really easy, but I am dying after 10.
break:swim one-two laps very slowly.
Now do 2 laps 5 times, doubling your time from the 50's. Again, I swim a 100 in about 1:20-1:30, rest 30 seconds, repeat. If its too easy, reduce the split times.
Finally, swim easily for another 10 laps or so until your time is up.
In swimmer-ese you will have done: 1x500 warm up, 10x50 @1:00, 5x100 @2:00, 1x500 warm down

If you are a total stud that is too much rest, but for us mortals thats about right.

For general strength training to support my endurance sports (paddling, cycling, etc..) I prefer traditional stength exercises. Push ups, pull ups, dips, leg lifts...a lot of them. Weights are good too, but for general upper body strength its hard to beat a hundred pull ups and push ups.
I use one of these:
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/43/61/92/09/0043619209143_215X215.jpg

mhill
04-15-2005, 14:04
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try tonight. I totally agree with your line of thinking.

mhill

mhill
04-16-2005, 18:58
Ok I did exactly what you suggested. It seemed to work well. 50's in 40 seconds. 100's in 1:35-1:40. I went on the minute every minute. Still a 40 lap workout and the exact same distance that I was swimming before. Just that I get a little rest time in.

On another note the area behind my left knee feels like I pulled something. Is this possible? Seems like a funny place to pull something. It doesn't hurt bad. Just a little. I'm unaffected by it when walking. But I notice that it is there. Seems strange.

I'll try it again tomorrow. I hope my knee improves.

mhill