Pattern for rotating tires? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pattern for rotating tires?

vart
03-09-2005, 19:57
I have two vehicles that are due for tire rotation, and I've never done it before.
I've rebuilt carbs, motors, tranny swaps, lift installs, etc. but I've never rotated my own tires;g .
I grew up about 1/4-mile from a Les Schwab tire store and it was always free.
One vehicle is a front-wheel drive car, and the other is a rear-wheel drive/4wd SUV.
What is the pattern I use?

Clydeglide
03-09-2005, 20:04
Either straight front to rear or X, your choice. Assuming all four are the same size. Also check your owner's manual.

:cool:

vart
03-09-2005, 20:08
Well that was simple;Q . Thanks!;)

CZ-75A
03-10-2005, 14:09
Rotation w/o balance isn't a very good idea. Every car, by virtue of its alignment settings and dynamic wear, will wear tires unevenly to some extent, meaning that they'll lose balance.

Front to back and vice versa works pretty well.

fnfalman
03-10-2005, 15:20
Either front to back or X is fine. I've had it done both ways and the tires wore fine. But you gotta do balancing and alignment too otherwise it's worthless. Right now I have dissimilar front and rear so it can only go side-to-side.

Clydeglide
03-10-2005, 16:27
Originally posted by fnfalman
Either front to back or X is fine. I've had it done both ways and the tires wore fine. But you gotta do balancing and alignment too otherwise it's worthless. Right now I have dissimilar front and rear so it can only go side-to-side.

If the tire wear is wearing evenly across and there is no tire shake there would be no need to rebalance or align.

I had a set of Michelins on my 96 Caprice. I rotated them twice in 60k miles and never had them rebalanced. An alignment was done when they were installed. They rode as smooth when I took them off as when I put them on. That's why I buy Michelin.

YMMV

:cool:

Ghetto
03-10-2005, 19:14
X

kshuart
03-10-2005, 19:22
I worked at a Goodyear tire shop for a couple of years. We always rotated by not crossing the drive tires. So on a front wheel drive car, the front wheels would go straight back and the back tires would cross up to the front (left rear to right front and right rear to left front). On the rear wheel vechicles, the rear would go straight forward, and the fronts would cross to the back. I think it had to do with the way they would wear and also would insure the tires would eventually be at every corner of the vehicle (evening out the wear). I change my oil every 4k miles and rotate my tires at every other oil change.

Dandapani
03-10-2005, 21:06
Modified X is better. Cross undriven pair of tire INTO the driven wheels and straight into the non-driven wheels.

Front wheel drive, front tires straight back, cross rear onto the front.

Rear wheel drive, rear tires straight forward, cross front onto rear.

streeter69
03-11-2005, 08:15
You can do what ever you want with tires (except directionals). I have been doing this stuff to long;Q one year they say one thing the next year they say something else.
As for me, I do not rotate. I keep my vehicles in alignment and proper pressures and run them till they are bald;f

indytruckboy
03-15-2005, 09:01
Like said before the PROPER way to rotate is cross the non-power wheels. On a all-wheel drive you cross all 4. This is what was taught to me and I have been in the auto field for 7 years and am a ASE Master Tech.

CGuns
03-15-2005, 09:17
And, make sure you don't torque to impact! Do it the right way, even though it takes more time!
I concur with what IndyTruck has to say, too.

CGuns

streeter69
03-15-2005, 11:28
Originally posted by indytruckboy
Like said before the PROPER way to rotate is cross the non-power wheels. On a all-wheel drive you cross all 4. This is what was taught to me and I have been in the auto field for 7 years and am a ASE Master Tech.

Then you know that each car manufacturer has one way and each tire manufacturer has another and thru out my last 20 years of being a mechanic (Yes a Master) and a service manager they all change.

Everyone has there own ways that work for them:)

Maxthemutt
03-15-2005, 17:10
Originally posted by streeter69
Then you know that each car manufacturer has one way and each tire manufacturer has another and thru out my last 20 years of being a mechanic (Yes a Master) and a service manager they all change.

Everyone has there own ways that work for them:)

^c

epsylum
03-16-2005, 21:51
I don't know which is best, but I worked at a Discount Tire Co. for about 2 years in High School and they taught us to do the modified X (don't cross drive wheels, but cross non-drive). I also agree that a rotation is about worthless without balancing. Dicount Tire can hook you up with lifetime free rotates and balances for about $25 (ulness they raised the price). You can even use it on your other cars, they don't really care about the fine print there. They just want to make you happy hoping you will remeber that whn you buy tires next time.

Also you get that service free if you bought your tires there.

indytruckboy
04-02-2005, 10:33
Originally posted by streeter69

Everyone has there own ways that work for them:) Agreed. I was only providing what I have been told by people who have more experiance from you and I put together.

Rstmotorsport
04-02-2005, 14:15
It all depends on what kind of vehicle your driving. Some vehicles have directional tires in which you can only rotate front to back not X. Check before you rotate...;)

Ron3
04-05-2005, 20:40
Tires should be rotated every 6000 miles, use whatever pattern you like.

Balancing is nice but not worth spending the $$ every 6000 miles. A balance every third rotate is enough.

Ron3