Snythetic Oil.....What do you use in your Diesel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Snythetic Oil.....What do you use in your Diesel?

CGuns
03-14-2005, 21:24
Well, I got about 400 miles until my next 3,000 mile service.

So, I have always used Mobile 1 Synthetic in all my diesel trucks and in several Gasoline powered cars. (Unless special oil was required and recommended by the auto manufacturer).

I have heard that the currently produced Mobile 1 Synthetic is not really synthetic.

I am considering switching to Amsoil.

Anyone have any comments?

I am thinking of ditching Mobile 1 Synthetic all together. For my diesel and gasoline vehicles, I might bring in some lubricants from Ural Lubricants in Germany.
Redline and Royal Purple I hear are more or less the competition for Amsoil.
Agip has a very nice product that works well. A couple auto makers specify it exclusively and I have had good sucess with it.

So many choices! Thanks for any advise.

streeter69
03-15-2005, 07:27
I just switched my mustang over to sythetic. I found amsoil to be the best I could find. I went with there oil filter also.
I noticed my coolant temp went down and my mileage went up and I do not baby my stang;f

CGuns
03-15-2005, 08:09
Did you use the Bypass kit, or just their regular, white oil filters?

Thanks, CGuns

Clydeglide
03-15-2005, 10:45
I don't use synth in my diesel. I just use whatever the Ford dealer puts in. Change every 5k when not towing and 3k when towing.

If you truly want to know who well it's doing you need to get it tested. You can use http://www.blackstone-labs.com/diesel_engines.html or the lab of your choice. Great info and you can find out just how long you really can go between oil changes.

I've always used Mobil 1 in the cars and bikes. The next oil in the bikes will be Amsoil. Only because my dealer stocks it. I was using the MX4T Mobil and no complaints. Just extra inconvenience to find it. YMMV.

:cool:

And please, don't believe everything you hear about synth oil. Most of it comes from someone's marketing department and they tend to embellish.

streeter69
03-15-2005, 12:22
Originally posted by CGuns
Did you use the Bypass kit, or just their regular, white oil filters?

Thanks, CGuns

I am running amsoil filters. The amsoil rep had filters torn apart and it was very well built.

I can tell you CAT engines have TSB's out for not running royal purple. It has something to do with there oil blending. I do run Royal purple in my truck (F-250 w/460).
I am happy with bot

anchoryanker23
06-10-2005, 01:11
already posted this in another thread, but here goes.
I use rotella t synth. 5w/40, you can run it a heck of alot longer than 3,000 miles. notice at 3,300 miles, the oil looks barely used. the whole 3,000 mile thing is from the old days of crappy single weight oil, with the new motors today and the multi-grade synth. oil available, you're just really wasting money to change at 3,000. except, of course, for certain types of saturns that rely on oil pressure to tension the timing chain, it pretty much mandatory for them to do the 3,000 interval. Don't take my word for it, do some research and you'll see what i'm talking about. But needless to say any place that derives any type of income from oil changes isn't likely to tell you these things.;Q

anchoryanker23
06-10-2005, 13:55
accidentally deleted attachment in other thread here it iis again.

I'm not worried about the contact info on there cause i just moved and it is no longer current

Anthony k
06-27-2005, 08:41
rotella t every 6/7k, drain the fuel filter/seperator. the damn thing uses 15qt/ 3+ gallons NO need to change every 3k