Anyone Work On Atv's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Work On Atv's?

WEATHERBY460
03-15-2005, 19:05
I have a 1990 trx300 honda 4-wheeler 2 wheel drive, shaft driven....when i go to press the shifter, it shifts, (you can hear it shift to first gear) but does not engage anything to make the bike move...any idea whats going on...and how much will it take to fix it? thanks.

gixxer11
03-15-2005, 20:21
Check the clutch adjustment. I don't think I've worked on a '90, but on the newer ones (i.e. Recon, TRX250, etc) it's in the front of the motor. If not, then it's on the side. It should look like a flat head screw with a nut on it sticking out of the case cover. Loosen the nut and turn the screw out untill it just starts to give resistence, the turn it back in 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Tighten the nut while holding the screw in place (just snug,it won't take a lot of torque). If that doesn't fix it then take the clutch cover off and inspect the clutch assembly. If it looks burnt then replace the steels and fibers (don't forget the gasket). Repost and let us know what you found. I'll try to help. BTW, I'm was a motorcycle mechanic on all the major brands for 6 years. Good luck.

WEATHERBY460
03-16-2005, 05:11
good point...i will start with that...any idea where i can get parts to fix it at on the net......?

gixxer11
03-17-2005, 14:30
Check the adjustment first, then if it doesn't fix it, go and buy a Dirtwheels or simalar four-wheeler magazine. There are a ton of discount part warehouses in the advertisement section. You should change the oil&filter IF you have to replace the clutch, because all of the clutch material will be in the oil.