Fiddler's Green (For Cavalry People) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fiddler's Green (For Cavalry People)

GreenBeret1631
03-15-2005, 20:42
Halfway down the Trail to Hell
In a shady meadow green,
Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped
Near a good old-time canteen,
And this eternal resting place
is known as Fiddlers' Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell,
The Infantry are seen,
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marine,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene,
No trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he's emptied his canteen,
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers' Green.

And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen.
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean,
And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers' Green.

trapfan
03-15-2005, 23:15
My late father was in the the First Recon Squadron of the Second Armored Cavalry Regiment from 60-62 when the Berlin Wall was put up. In one of his Army year books is that very poem. I thought that poem was specific to the 2nd ACR. Guess it applies to all cavalry troopers....Scouts out!

AirCav
03-15-2005, 23:22
When a new pilot is "breaking-in/christening" his new Stetson, he is required to recite Fiddler's Green.

Old Bill, spurs, Stetsons, Fiddler's Green, horses (steel or otherwise), Garry Owen, and of course, "napalm in the morning". All great traditions of America's Cavalry.

If you ain't Cav, you ain't ****! ;?

RussP
03-16-2005, 09:13
You guys sure do have attitude............

Respectfully said...of course!!

;? ;? ;?

Tennessee Slim
03-17-2005, 22:58
Originally posted by AirCav
If you ain't Cav, you ain't ****! ;?

If you are Cav, you are ****, but your **** don't stink!!

Our hearts so stout have got no fame
For soon 'tis known from whence we came
Where'er we go they fear the name
Of Garryowen in glory.

AirCav
03-18-2005, 02:27
If you are Cav, you are ****, but your **** don't stink!! There's someone that's been there! ^c ;c

RussP
03-18-2005, 07:47
Where's HerrGlock??? Thought for sure he'd weigh in on this...;f

reconvic
03-19-2005, 15:22
Some of us Marines may take offence to that, but most all Marines know " We don't have to toot our horns" History does it for us.
OOOOHHHH RAAHHHHHHHHH
Semper FI

Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
If you are Cav, you are ****, but your **** don't stink!! http://www.hunt101.com/img/260238.gif

GreenBeret1631
03-20-2005, 00:48
Fiddlers Green has been around since the Civil War. I don't recall it saying anything bad about Marines. The only mention was that Marines and others don't get to stop at the 'Green, because they are not Cavalrymen.

reconvic
03-20-2005, 09:45
I was pulling on your ripcord a bit. It takes all the Armed Forces to make the USA as strong as we are.
Semper Fi

Originally posted by GreenBeret1631
Fiddlers Green has been around since the Civil War. I don't recall it saying anything bad about Marines. The only mention was that Marines and others don't get to stop at the 'Green, because they are not Cavalrymen.

RussP
03-20-2005, 11:16
Guess FAC was the best of inter-service jobs.

Air Force FAC responds to Army "advisors" with indigenious troops calling for close-air-support.

We call for fighter/bomber support and get flights from Air Force, Navy and Marine air units.

Did I miss anyone?

;f ;f ;f

GreenBeret1631
03-20-2005, 14:11
Originally posted by reconvic
I was pulling on your ripcord a bit. It takes all the Armed Forces to make the USA as strong as we are.
Semper Fi

No comment on the pic I attached? I thought that it was one of the best ones I have seen lately. That Marine is a true hero!

Aside from that:

Notice, that I never mentioned all those PIO types assigned to Marine units, to keep them in the media? ;f

RussP
03-20-2005, 18:52
No comment on the pic I attached? I thought that it was one of the best ones I have seen lately. That Marine is a true hero!

Aside from that:

Notice, that I never mentioned all those PIO types assigned to Marine units, to keep them in the media? ;f

http://www.fototime.com/4A7B35BE290925C/standard.jpg

There are few words that need saying...

reconvic
03-21-2005, 12:01
Bro, I understand where that Marine is coming from trust me. I said it before and will again was meant only as a joke!
Semper Fi

Aside from that:

ynot
03-27-2005, 18:20
BLACKHORSE, FIND THE BASTARDS AND PILE ON! all branches combine to make the total fighting force. SOUTHEAST ASIA WAR GAMES PARTICIPANT.
sure was nice when tac air showed up. ALLONS!

kawalerzysta
04-03-2005, 19:16
Originally posted by trapfan
My late father was in the the First Recon Squadron of the Second Armored Cavalry Regiment when the Berlin Wall was put up. In one of his Army year books is that very poem. I thought that poem was specific to the 2nd ACR. Guess it applies to all cavalry troopers....Scouts out
2nd Dragoons have specific poem/song. It is called "Hit the leather and Ride". Song sucks, not very melodic. Had to learn it for my Spur Ride. ;f

kawalerzysta
04-03-2005, 19:16
To all fellow Cav Troopers. Anybody has to share funny stories from Spur Rides?

RussP
04-03-2005, 19:53
Originally posted by kawalerzysta
To all fellow Cav Troopers. Anybody has to share funny stories from Spur Rides? Help an Air Force type...What is a Spur Ride?

xcrewman
04-04-2005, 00:19
Originally posted by RussP
Help an Air Force type...What is a Spur Ride?

http://www2.acc.af.mil/accnews/jul03/03224.html

http://www.angelfire.com/co4/hohenfels/spur/ride.htm

5/9 CAV CE/AO

always found ourselves in the hangar or flt. line...pullin a phase.;)

Sweet
04-04-2005, 03:52
Originally posted by ynot
BLACKHORSE, FIND THE BASTARDS AND PILE ON! all branches combine to make the total fighting force. SOUTHEAST ASIA WAR GAMES PARTICIPANT.

I started in F Trp 3rd Plt 2/11th then went to HHT 2/11th S-3 I was "Battle Three Delta" for 2 years then spent 3 months in G Trp then home!

If you were over in Doha during 11JULY91 for Operation Positive Force were you ever contacted about U-238 ?

88'-91'

ALLONS!

ynot
04-04-2005, 04:24
Originally posted by Sweet
I started in F Trp 3rd Plt 2/11th then went to HHT 2/11th S-3 I was "Battle Three Delta" for 2 years then spent 3 months in G Trp then home!

If you were over in Doha during 11JULY91 for Operation Positive Force were you ever contacted about U-238 ?

88'-91'

ALLONS!

i left the 11 acr in 72.

RussP
04-04-2005, 07:00
Originally posted by xcrewman
http://www2.acc.af.mil/accnews/jul03/03224.html

http://www.angelfire.com/co4/hohenfels/spur/ride.htm

5/9 CAV CE/AO

always found ourselves in the hangar or flt. line...pullin a phase.;) Thank you, xcrewman, I understand...;?

eisman
04-04-2005, 10:28
The REMF dies, and mmets St Peter at the Gate. Peter asks if he has any preferences as to what he wants to do in heaven, and the REMF replies that he dosen't care, just so long as he can stay away from the Cav. St Peter looks at him with pity and tells him, "There are no Cav. in heaven."

So the REMF passes in, and while walking with his guide starts to enjoy himself. Until he sees a small group of soldiers all decked out with guns, big knives, and fast armored cars. He starts to get all shook up, and screams at his guide that he was told there were no Cav. in heaven. The guide looks over and tells him, "There are no Cav. in heaven, but we get the occasion light infantry type, so they tend to hang together.". "Well, that's okay", says the REMF, and they continue on.

All goes well until he sees a distant group of men in dirty uniforms drinking and working on what's obviously artillery and other weapons of war. The REMF turns to his guide and states that he knows Cav. when he sees it, and he's leaving. The guide looks over and replys that, "The occasional grunt from the heavy divisions qualifies for heaven, and they tend to stay together, but there's no Cav. in heaven."

The REMF can see that that's a mistake he could make and they continue on. Then they come accross a group of tanks pulled up in a lager, with empty bottles and naked women very much in evidence. "Now, I know that's Cav.!", says the REMF, and his guide again has to explain, "The stray tanker bribes his way in, but there's no Cav. in heaven."

The REMF is starting to settle down when all of the sudden a huge armed chopper appears going full out. As it flies over the REMF can see the pilot is wearing a Stetson and spurs, and the there's a yellow banner flying out the rear. At this point he totally looses it, and, pointing at the helo as it passes screams "I knew it, that's Cav.!".

"That's not Cav.", the guide replys, "that's Jesus. He just thinks he's Cav."

kawalerzysta
04-04-2005, 18:47
Originally posted by eisman
The REMF dies, and mmets St Peter at the Gate. Peter asks if he has any preferences as to what he wants to do in heaven, and the REMF replies that he dosen't care, just so long as he can stay away from the Cav. St Peter looks at him with pity and tells him, "There are no Cav. in heaven."

So the REMF passes in, and while walking with his guide starts to enjoy himself. Until he sees a small group of soldiers all decked out with guns, big knives, and fast armored cars. He starts to get all shook up, and screams at his guide that he was told there were no Cav. in heaven. The guide looks over and tells him, "There are no Cav. in heaven, but we get the occasion light infantry type, so they tend to hang together.". "Well, that's okay", says the REMF, and they continue on.

All goes well until he sees a distant group of men in dirty uniforms drinking and working on what's obviously artillery and other weapons of war. The REMF turns to his guide and states that he knows Cav. when he sees it, and he's leaving. The guide looks over and replys that, "The occasional grunt from the heavy divisions qualifies for heaven, and they tend to stay together, but there's no Cav. in heaven."

The REMF can see that that's a mistake he could make and they continue on. Then they come accross a group of tanks pulled up in a lager, with empty bottles and naked women very much in evidence. "Now, I know that's Cav.!", says the REMF, and his guide again has to explain, "The stray tanker bribes his way in, but there's no Cav. in heaven."

The REMF is starting to settle down when all of the sudden a huge armed chopper appears going full out. As it flies over the REMF can see the pilot is wearing a Stetson and spurs, and the there's a yellow banner flying out the rear. At this point he totally looses it, and, pointing at the helo as it passes screams "I knew it, that's Cav.!".

"That's not Cav.", the guide replys, "that's Jesus. He just thinks he's Cav."
The ne that I know replaces REMF with light infantryman, and later portrays mechanized infantry intead light infantry. And in the end there is God intead Jesus, and he is drinking whiskey, and having big brested blond bimbo by his side :)

fox34
04-22-2005, 21:45
Originally posted by Sweet
I started in F Trp 3rd Plt 2/11th.........
88'-91'

ALLONS!

Sweet, you remember Sgt. Bewley (Batman) and Sgt. Andrew? Who took over as Plt.Sgt? I was with 3rd Plt. 86-88. FOX IS READY, SIR!!
EAGLEHORSE, HOAH!!!

Sweet
04-23-2005, 11:43
Originally posted by fox34
Sweet, you remember Sgt. Bewley (Batman) and Sgt. Andrew? Who took over as Plt.Sgt? I was with 3rd Plt. 86-88. FOX IS READY, SIR!!
EAGLEHORSE, HOAH!!!

It's been a long time but I think Sgt Bewley use to shack up with Cpl Smitey? (crap for get his name) I shared a room with Shay and Larson, I was on Sgt Schindler's Bradley for some time then left for HHT S-3...I still have my old Fox Troop sweat**** someplace around here! I'll have to post up some pics later...Combat Soccer!
Great to see another Fox Trooper here!
And "Sweet" is my real last name

ALLONS!
edit to add pic
http://www.pbase.com/bensweet/image/42453246.jpg

Cava3r4
04-29-2005, 20:54
served proudly in the 3rd Squadron, 4th Cavalry, (3/4 Cav) 25th Inf. Div. Nov 67 to aug 24, 68 in the Republic of Vietnam.
I am the secretary of the 3/4 Cavalry Association.
Email me back channel if you were with us.
We have over 1200 guys on our roster NOW.
Sincerely,
Bob

MiCPL
05-20-2005, 10:07
SCOUTS OUT!!!!!!

IraT
02-27-2006, 20:08
FIRST TEAM!!

Good evening Troopers!!

I enjoy finding other fellas whom where in the Cav. Had a town get together awhile back and a guy whom turned out to be in the 1/ 12th Cavalry, saw my First Cavalry shirt and he all but started crying, damn near made me do the same just cuz of his elation of seeing an other trooper. We shook hands and he pulled me in gave me a big old man hug, and there was no doubt in my ex military mind that having met that day on the sidewalk that both of our days where much better for it.

My wife and I where in of all places Wal Mart and I'm going thru the gun mags and this older gentle man gets my attention and ask me about my First Cavalry tee-shirt that I was wearing at the time and he told me that he had not seen nor had he spoken to anyone whom was in the Cav since he had gotten out after the War. We stood there for the better part of an hour lost in time, listening to this trooper talk and the more he talked the brighter the gleam got in his eye's and the straighter he stood, I kid you not you could see the change come over him like a wave of pride.

Years ago I was working east of Austin an hour or so, way out in the sticks and had a fella pass me justa waving like he was crazy. Everybody that was working for me at the time thought we knew each other, guess we did cuz we both had our First Cavalry stickers on the back windows of our trucks.

Todd, out

gsr
03-14-2006, 18:41
I was with the 502d MI, 2d ACR from November 89 to March 92. Lots of interesting things happened during that time.

Ogre77497
03-14-2006, 19:02
Was with the 3/11 ACR back when we exchanged colors with 3/14 ACR in Bad Hersfeld, FRG back in late 1971 or 1972. Used to go to Hohenfels, Wildflicken and Grafenwoehr all the time. In "Graf" I helped a 1st Lieutenant run the tower during tank qualification. One morning, after working 24 hours straight, I was on the way to the tower to relieve the 1LT. The slogan for 3/11 ACR was "Work Horse, Sir!", and I properly snapped a salute and practically YELLED "Work Horse, Sir!" as we were passing. He returned the salute, "With a d*ck THIS big!" I still chuckle over this.

M114s, M113s and Sheridans to begin with, then I think we got some old M60s. Those Sheridans were patched from RPG rounds they took in Vietnam. Fixed'em up, and sent them off to Germany. Had more than one guy tell me that he thought he had the same Sheridan he had in Vietnam; now in Germany.

Any one remember "Big Judy"? :)

nothing
03-15-2006, 12:11
Originally posted by ynot

I spent 9 months with 2/11 ACR in OIF III. My company was attached to them as heavy mech.

fnfalman
03-16-2006, 13:32
You horse soldiers speak some strange language.;g