Looking to join the Army National Guard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to join the Army National Guard

SIGSAREBETTER
03-16-2005, 00:50

jerryd
03-18-2005, 14:29
Go down and talk to the recruiter and see what he says, thats the only way you will know for sure, tell him what you have and see what happens! If they wont take you it will be a let down but at least YOU know you tried! Not like some of the scumbag draft dodgers in my era! Good luck, let us know the outcome!

eisman
03-18-2005, 23:12
While you should go and ask (the worst they can say is no) there is one side to the recent war that has not attracted much in the way of media. And that is the Army's realization that personnel who have medical issues are liabilities when it comes to mobilization. Huge (comparatively) numbers of NG & Reserve (especially IRR) personnel have shown to be non-deployable, and that has cost an enormous amount of money and medical staff time.

The military is finally realizing the costs of keeping marginal personnel on the roster. They cost a lot and then cannot fufill the missions they're given.

Current (and recent) policy is that anyone with a profile limiting them from being fully deployable will be subject to a medical review board, and if unable to fufill all the requirements of their job (including being deployable) seperated from the service.

One of the reasons that recruiting is slowing down is that they are no longer able to bring in many of the medical problems that would have been admitted even a year ago.

SIGSAREBETTER
03-19-2005, 19:06
Thanks for all the advice folks....I appreciate your feedback. Looks like at best it will be an uphill battle, which is pretty unfortunate.

Road Weazel
04-10-2005, 23:10
I pushed continuously for 11 months to get in and was finally accepted. There were a few waivers and a fair amount of letter writing on my part and the part of others.
My family is proud of me (Dad's a retired Senior Chief Boatswain's Mate from the Coast Guard Reserve), Mom's proud of my service AND persistance. My girlfiend is proud of me but also nervous, that's to be expected.
I say PUSH HARD if you want it. Don't give up. If they say 'Maybe' it doesn't mean 'No'. Check with ALL branches. The Army Nat'l Guard seems to take some of us that the Air Guard wouldn't.
Best of luck to you.
Colin

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/989019/Privates.jpg

SIGSAREBETTER
04-11-2005, 20:54
Thanks......I won't give up. My g/f (former Army) seems real optimistic as well.