Gee, that looks familiar, where have I seen that before?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gee, that looks familiar, where have I seen that before??

MGomez81
03-17-2005, 19:31
The 2006 Mercury Milan

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/media/vehicles/milan/main_image.jpg

The SEAT Leon

http://home.wxs.nl/~hilla013/Seat_Leon_20_Vt_TopSport_3.jpg

Further proof that most American automakers are doing nothing but looking elsewhere for style cues.

chevrofreak
03-18-2005, 08:12
Theres really not that much resemblance.

joker1
03-18-2005, 08:33
They're both black, both have wheels.

fnfalman
03-18-2005, 08:54
To be fair, the Japanese are also great "borrowers" of exterior designs. How many Hondas and Toyotas you see out there resembling BMWs and Mercedes that came out a few years earlier?

Rob1035
03-18-2005, 09:08
so says the man with the z4;)

fnfalman
03-18-2005, 09:16
Which car does the Z4 resemble? Whether or not the Z4 is ugly (I don't think that it is and the chicks don't think that it is), it's debatable depending on the audience's tastes, but at least it won't be mistaken for anything else on the road. And that's why I like the Bangle Bimmers. They are recognizable. It gets to where you can't tell if it's a Bimmer or a Honda that's cruising down the road. Testaments to BMW's great designs, but it's time to be avant gard again and Bangle did just that.

Rob1035
03-18-2005, 09:42
the new 5 series is ugly, z4 is fine i guess. the back end looks a lot like an s2000 to me though

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/s2000-oem3-rs.jpg
http://www.bmwstart.jp/buyers/pict/z4-roadster-07.jpg

helluva lot closer than the black cars above imho

MGomez81
03-18-2005, 10:20
You guys are saying that you don't see that much resemblance in the two black cars above? Are you serious?

WHAT are you people smoking? They have almost identical taillight shape and design, except one is a hatchback and one has an actual trunk. The choice of rims, the side-by-side exhaust, the door handles... the friggin name! Mercury MILAN! Calling it the Mercury Madrid would have been a little too obvious I guess.

Wicked96SS
03-18-2005, 10:24
The tail lights look similar (not exact) and the badge on the back look similar, other than that, they are just both black cars...

MGomez81
03-18-2005, 11:48
You're right, pure coincidence. ;Q

You guys are maroons, seriously. Do you all have some sort of mental blinders on? Good Lord.

I can just imagine the meeting between Mercury executives one night in the conference room:

"Well, our sales are miserable, let's just take a design that is succesful in Europe that most Americans are not familiar with, and market it just to Americans. Ford brought the Focus from Europe, that worked out really well for them. The German designs are already imitated by everyone, let's try a lesser-known company. Hey, how about SEAT, they sell very well in Spain."

Rob1035
03-18-2005, 11:50
have you ever compared the new M5 tail lights to the WRX? just because the shape of a lens is the same, does not mean American Car companies suck and cant do anything original. You're comparing a sedan to a shooting break/wagon/5 door/whatever, apples/oranges. Do you think using the name "Milan" for a euro styling influenced car is a coincidence?

blanket statements based on 1 single example usually aren't all that accurate...

Wicked96SS
03-18-2005, 12:01
Originally posted by MGomez81
You're right, pure coincidence. ;Q

You guys are maroons, seriously. Do you all have some sort of mental blinders on? Good Lord.

I can just imagine the meeting between Mercury executives one night in the conference room:

"Well, our sales are miserable, let's just take a design that is succesful in Europe that most Americans are not familiar with, and market it just to Americans. Ford brought the Focus from Europe, that worked out really well for them. The German designs are already imitated by everyone, let's try a lesser-known company. Hey, how about SEAT, they sell very well in Spain."

You are the one making blanket statements and trying to present your opinion as fact... and you call US morons?

They are similar, but not exact... I just don't see one as being a copy of the other... perhaps the style of the tail lights and location of the badge, but that is it.

It is irrelivant if you are right or wrong about them "stealing" the design, your example is very poor. And after looking up more pictures of the Leon and of the Milan, they even looked less alike.

MGomez81
03-18-2005, 12:30
Originally posted by Wicked96SS
You are the one making blanket statements and trying to present your opinion as fact... and you call US morons?

Anyone else want to copy the previous poster and use the term blanket statement? Come on, imitation is the name of the game here.

You guys crack me up, man.

arrowdriver
03-18-2005, 13:16
Looks much more like a Mazda6 to me

Wmarden
03-18-2005, 18:51
All new cars do tend to look alike. IE mostly like crap filled jelly beans.

MGomez81
03-18-2005, 19:18
;z

epsylum
03-18-2005, 21:24
Yeah and the original Camero looked a helluva lot like the Mustang.

The Saleen S7 looks like a McLaren F1

The new vette looks like an F360 Modena.

SO?

shapes and aspects of certain cars are copied all the time by ALL manufacturers. I do notice a resemblence in the tail light shape, but really that's about it. In that case a new 5 series BMW is a copy of a WRX ;5

I mean seriuosly look at the taillights!

chevrofreak
03-18-2005, 23:34
Yes the gerneral shape of the tail lights is very similar, but the lenses are totally different, which makes them LOOK totally different.

The wheels are similar in that they are round and have the same spoke shape.

The exhaust is remotely similar, but so is the exhaust on half of the production cars in the world.

The design of the logos is pure coincidence, Mercury and Seat have both been using those same logos for years.

There really is VERY little that makes either car look like the other.

I dig the look of the Seat though :) (Seat is ronounced "sayawt")