Feelings on the new '05 mustang [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Feelings on the new '05 mustang

epsylum
03-17-2005, 21:48
I want to hear what people think about the new Mustang, good or bad. I however don't want any *hillybilly voice* "FORD SUCKS!!" or "FOUND ON ROADSIDE DEAD!" or even "IT'S AWESOME BECAUSE CHEVY SUCKS!!"

Personally, I do wish they had come up with a new style to push the car on into the future, but they masterfully pulled off the retro touch. The body style it emulated is by almost anyone's standards the best looking style of the mustang (not many pushing for a retro Mustang II ;f ). All the retro stuff Ford is doing does let me believe that Ford is doing whatever it can to get back into the performance market it seemed to leave for a while. At least they are picking good looking cars from thier past (GT40, Shelby cobra, shelby daytona coupe, late 60's mustang, etc) they could have picked the Edsel for crying out loud.

Oh sorry, Pontiac already remade that, they called it the Aztek.;f

Oh here are some pics of modified 05's that make me think this is going to be great model for Ford.

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/05chicagoautoshow2005mustang/fordmustangsema1.jpg
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/05chicagoautoshow2005mustang/fordmustangsema2.jpg
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/05chicagoautoshow2005mustang/fordmustangsema3.jpg

chris93473
03-18-2005, 01:10
i went to the chicago auto show last feb. and i checked out the new Saleen S281-E. the moment i touched the car i feel inlove with it. and just over $50k you can actually have a car with 500horses. damn i love that saleen.

they can slam ford all they want but i've seen, felt, and test drove the newer ford cars. the quality seems to be alot better. interior materials seems more upscale and they do sound more refined. i'll admitt i don't know how they will hold up on the long run.

c5367
03-18-2005, 04:58
I typically don't like Fords, but the new Mustang is a beautiful car. It's amazing how they pulled off the retro and the modern look at the same time.

Ron3
03-18-2005, 07:00
Good-looking car. Chassis feels good, interior quality a step up.

The car is a little heavy though.

More front seat space, bigger trunk, less rear seat room.

They engine is a winner too, the shifter feels good and is in the right spot, finally.

I don't care for the cable-less throttle. Just don't get much feedback, even less with the computer adjusting your input when the revs go high or traction falls off. (Even with traction control off) These habits can be programmed out though.

The stock exhaust sounds real good. A little louder then the too-quiet previous models.

I don't like the stock wheel options. Just don't look right to me.

I haven't driven a 4.0 6-banger yet so I can't comment on those.

JMO-Ron3

Ghetto
03-18-2005, 07:51
I like them a lot,the cars are heavy but there's already one running 11.0s.

I'd buy one if I was in the market.

CGuns
03-18-2005, 09:43
I typically don't like Ford's either, but, it is a beautiful car and classy/retro to boot. Good work Ford! They need it!

Rgds, CGuns

fnfalman
03-18-2005, 10:12
Interesting that this thread came up. Last night I went and test drove a subcontractor's brand new Mustang V8. Here are my thoughts on it:

Looks - objectively speaking it's a good looking vehicle. Intellectually speaking it's a tragedy for Ford because it shows me that their design group is so incompetent that they had to harken back to a gorgeous design forty years ago for a new car.

Interior - subjectively speaking, I hate the dash. I hated the dash on the old 'Stangs and I hate it now. It's not easy to read and interprete the tach and speedo at a glance. The multihue backlight is nifty but just a gimmick to me. Maybe if I were of the Gen Y crowd who are all hip in neons and electronics, it may appeal to me. The rest of the interior reflect Ford's current design which is simply plain and without any interesting curves. Material looks and feels as cheap as ever. BUT the seats are a great improvement over the last Mustang seats.

Driving Experience - The stick is way better than before but no comparison to Honda or Toyota. Notchy and rough, but it's a vast improvement over the older slosh bucket. At least you can find the gears easily enough. To be fair, it's probably about the same feel as a WRX or an Evo.

Good power. 300 horses and boocoo torque ain't no chump change in anybody's book. But typical American engine performance - not really that much oomph for displacement. Still ain't bad.

Suspension feel and feedback is dramatically better than the old rustbuckets. Too much body lean in the corner and the shocks and springs feel sluggish in response to car's direction changes. Steering is still numb and incommunicative though not quite as bad as before It'd be interesting to see the next generation of Mustang Cobra with independent rear suspension. The leaf springs on the standard Mustangs are much better tuned than the older generation but still ain't that great comparing to other sporty car although I do understand that most Mustang owners are more interested in dragging instead of road course and that's what Ford caters to.

Overall, a vast improvement over the older generation (you can only do so much to a 30-years-old chassis that was mediocre right from the beginning).

It, like the predecessor, should be popular with the young crowd because it's cheap oomph and when you're young, that's all that matter - smoking tires at the stoplights and thumping your chests.

Not my cup of tea, but at least it's a big step forward from the old one. Although at nearly $30K (for a loaded V8), the cheesy interior will be hard to justify.

streeter69
03-18-2005, 12:11
I want one, just did not want the house payment to go with it;e

ccw_bearcat
03-18-2005, 12:17
I'm thinking hard about getting one. I'll probably have to wait for an 06 GT because I don't think I will be read to buy a new car until some time this summer. They are going to stop making the 05's in May and I was told that all the GT's the local dealer has coming in through April have been pre-sold.

I love the car. The retro styling is great. I'm 24 but I LOVE the mid 60's to early 70's American muscle cars. I would probably throw a blower on it to get it in the 425 rwhp range which would give me strong street drag power but not so much that it really cuts down on longevity and reliability. I would also do some suspension mods to make it handle better and put on some bigg rubber.

Rob1035
03-18-2005, 12:51
i'm looking forward to a Cobra with an IRS and blower;f

CZ-75A
03-18-2005, 14:33
Originally posted by epsylum
I want to hear what people think about the new Mustang, good or bad. I however don't want any *hillybilly voice* "FORD SUCKS!!" or "FOUND ON ROADSIDE DEAD!" or even "IT'S AWESOME BECAUSE CHEVY SUCKS!!"

How about "*******er Only Runs Downhill"? ;e

Ford302Glock21
03-18-2005, 15:22
I hope it was a typo but the mustang does not have leaf springs. Leaf springs have not been on mustangs since 78. Possibly before 78 I'm not a great deal familiar with the IIs. I think what you meant to say was the solid rear axle is still there but feels alot better than it did in the past.

fnfalman
03-18-2005, 16:57
I stand corrected. Solid rear axle is what the new one has. Don't know why I said leaf spring. It's probably because I associated leaf springs with solid rear axles. Oopsie!;J

Ron3
03-18-2005, 18:48
"Notchy and rough, but it's a vast improvement over the older slosh bucket. "

Well, most shifters either feel "smooth", (aka vague) or "notchy", (aka precise). Or of course, somewhere in between.:)

Ron3

Ghetto
03-18-2005, 19:01
Originally posted by Rob1035
i'm looking forward to a Cobra with an IRS and blower;f

Not me,a blower and a solid rear for me ;)

My friends stock 99 Cobra broke a halfshaft on Nitto drag radials at the track back in January.He's swapping to a solid rear this weekend :cool:

streeter69
03-20-2005, 09:25
Originally posted by Ghetto
He's swapping to a solid rear this weekend :cool:

I might be interested in it.

Ron3
03-20-2005, 14:15
The '03/'04 Cobra's have stronger halfshafts then the '99 and '01 Cobra's.

The '07 is suppossed to have a solid rear, but we won't know for sure for a while.

They were supposed to show the '07 on March 23rd at New York auto show, but now they are just going to show some Shelby Mustang or something.

Ron3

magsnubby
03-20-2005, 19:08
When you see an '05 Mustang you know what it is without having to walk around it looking for a name plate. That's why they made it so retro. It's the best looking Mustang since the original.

fnfalman
03-21-2005, 09:52
Well, most shifters either feel "smooth", (aka vague) or "notchy", (aka precise). Or of course, somewhere in between.
------------------------------------------------------------

Honda and BMW manual shifters are both smooth and clean. To me smooth doesn't mean vague. Smooth means that the stick travel between gear is clean and intuitive. Snotchy to me means that you have to shove it in instead of just snickety snick gently pushing it into position. A Porsche manual is notchy, a Nissan 350Z manual is very snotchy. Semantics, I suppose.

PS Talk about vague, drive the Subaru WRX and you'll see about both vague AND notchy. I kept missing the 2-3 and 4-5 shifts on those things even after a couple hours of familiarization.

Rob1035
03-23-2005, 18:36
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102047

;G

as for shift action, I never use honda and BMW in the same league, but thats just me.

gixxer11
03-23-2005, 18:56
Man, that car is freakin' SAAWEEET! I like what he says about the rear suspension, and I belive him.

fnfalman
03-23-2005, 19:37
The Honda S2000 and the Acura NSX can school BMW on how to properly set up a stick shift.

Rob1035
03-23-2005, 19:44
Originally posted by fnfalman
The Honda S2000 and the Acura NSX can school BMW on how to properly set up a stick shift.

bingo. coming from my Type R, every BMW i've driven (excluding the SMGII m3 of course) felt what I call muddy. Others call them 'smooth', and still others 'vague'

I prefer the notchy, rifle-bolt like action from our Japanese friends.

Ron3
03-23-2005, 22:27
The price on the '07 Cobra needs to be well under $40K before I'm interested.

Otherwise a non-Z06 vette is a better deal.

Ron3

Rob1035
03-23-2005, 23:07
"Ford officials say the goal is to keep this car priced less than $40,000"

From the link I posted

Even as the same price, I'd rather have a psuedo-practical mustang to a all out sports car

ccw_bearcat
03-24-2005, 13:48
The Shelby GT500. Going on sale sometime in 2006. No estimated price yet.

8.5 psi boost
twin screw type supercharger
air to water intercooler
32 valve
5.4L
V8
450+ hp
450 ftlbs
T-56 6 speed manual gearbox
They are keeping the revised Macpherson front suspension and the solid axle three link rear suspension.

http://www.stangnet.com/content/view/67

I think it looks like a pretty sweet package. What do you guys think?

Rob1035
03-24-2005, 15:36
haha I think I posted a link to the autoweek article about the very same car!:cool:

fnfalman
03-24-2005, 15:58
Some of us are such freakin' suckers for badges and names.

Gaaawd, I want that Shelby 500 soooooo bad!!!!!!

I would give two cents for the Mustang GT or even the Mustang Cobra badge (a travesty Ford committed against Mr. Shelby) but a Shelby 'Stang? She rules!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't trade my Z4 in for one, but I may have to take the money I was going to buy another motorcycle with and make a deposit on this new Shelby 'Stang. But I want a convertible like the old KR though.

epsylum
03-24-2005, 22:31
Originally posted by ccw_bearcat
The Shelby GT500. Going on sale sometime in 2006. No estimated price yet.

8.5 psi boost
twin screw type supercharger
air to water intercooler
32 valve
5.4L
V8
450+ hp
450 ftlbs
T-56 6 speed manual gearbox
They are keeping the revised Macpherson front suspension and the solid axle three link rear suspension.

http://www.stangnet.com/content/view/67

I think it looks like a pretty sweet package. What do you guys think?

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: ~2 ~2 ~2 ~2 ~2 ~2 ~2 ~2

Seriously freaking awesome.

So this isn't THE Cobra is it? If so, I was hoping for new HUGE engine.

Personally they need to bring back the 428 cobra jet badge. Except make it an all aluminum DOHC 32valve 428ci monster. And call it the "Cobra Jet II". Then the muscle stang would be back for sure. Oh and 500hp out of that should be pretty easy.

I can only dream.

Rob1035
03-25-2005, 15:40
based on the proposed price point, I'd say the GT500 is "the" cobra, just with Shelby badging. Its expensive enough to keep it relatively exclusive, yet its a bargain compared to other cars with similar performace (C6, GTO, etc)

MHO of course

bachchoy
03-25-2005, 15:44
warm and fuzzy

fnfalman
03-25-2005, 16:06
The Shelby "may" edge the standard C6 'Vette with acceleration (more horses and torque but also more weight) but it's not going to hold a candle to the 'Vette on any curve or road course. I'd still want a convertible one though. There is only one Cobra in my mind and it ain't a Mustang and I don't care what FoMoCo says.

Rob1035
03-25-2005, 19:57
agreed, on all points.

vart
03-26-2005, 09:55
I was driving home from work on I-80 yesterday and noticed a familiar sight in my rear-view mirror; it was an `05 Mustang GT.
At first, I thought it was a `69 that was seriously modded, but after a second, I realized that it was the new Mustang.
I love the new Mustangs, and as I watched that black GT roll by, I knew I would have one some day, even though I think the interiors are cheap and plastic(I have a feeling that the aftermarket will jump all over that problem).
I've never owned a Mustang, but have been a Ford guy since 15, when I bought my first car, a `70 Torino.
Of course, being a gearhead, I'm concerned with power numbers, chassis feel, etc. But most important, I want to capture that feeling I had back in `87 when driving my `65 450 hp GTO
:cool:

Rstmotorsport
04-02-2005, 15:19
Motor Trend has the shelby gt 500 on the cover!!!! SWEEETTT;W

ffcracker
04-10-2005, 03:49
The Shelby GT500 looks great, I was hoping for an IRS but oh well...

EZFLY80
04-14-2005, 22:01
Originally posted by chris93473
i went to the chicago auto show last feb. and i checked out the new Saleen S281-E. the moment i touched the car i feel inlove with it. and just over $50k you can actually have a car with 500horses. damn i love that saleen.

For just over $50K you can take a stock GT and make it run 500 hp. Hell, slap a 150 shot, a little engine work, and exhaust and youll be running low 11s all day at least, for less than $50K. Better get some sticky tires first though.

Ron3
04-14-2005, 23:34
Originally posted by EZFLY80
Originally posted by chris93473

For just over $50K you can take a stock GT and make it run 500 hp. Hell, slap a 150 shot, a little engine work, and exhaust and youll be running low 11s all day at least, for less than $50K. Better get some sticky tires first though.

Or you could buy an '03/04 Cobra for $25,000 and do the pulley swap (and a few other things) and have 500hp for a total of $26,500!

Ron3

fiveoboy01
04-15-2005, 01:30
I love the '05 mustang, just beautiful cars.

I have seen/heard of a couple already in the 9/10 second zone at various dragstrips.

My guess is that you could duplicate the performance of that car(starting out with a stock GT) for less than Ford will get for it.

EZFLY80
04-15-2005, 14:49
Originally posted by Ron3
Or you could buy an '03/04 Cobra for $25,000 and do the pulley swap (and a few other things) and have 500hp for a total of $26,500!

Ron3

TRUE!

jungleman
04-26-2005, 00:19
I have never owned a Mustang before. I Prefer to drive my F150 FX4 daily. I sold one of my old cars (1970 Cuda Convert 340-6) to buy a 2005 Mustang. When I drove the Cuda I was paranoid. Extremely hard to get parts for. No air, no stereo, rough ride, body flex, etc.
By the time the Cuda was out of the garage your cloths smelled like exhaust fumes. (High performance cam, carbs ect)
I like the Mustang, GREAT RETRO LOOKS, quite quick but I don't drive fast anymore. Good gas mileage, nice ride but to me it has a lot of road noise from tires and going over bumps. Best looking american made car on the market.
American made
american made
did I say
American made

vart
04-26-2005, 21:18
Oops, almost American;)

http://www.usstuff.com/cars205c.htm
2005 Ford Mustang V6 Coupe Deluxe 4.0v6 5spd Auto
USA Owned
USA Assembly- Flatrock, MI
German Engine
France Transmission
65% US/Canadian Parts Content
Buy from Peninsula Ford of Sunnvale, Sunnyvale, CA 11-03-04
Rent from Reserve online at www.enterprise.com
Finance with CarsDirect.com
Or buy from CarsDirect.com

fnfalman
04-27-2005, 08:57
German engine?

epsylum
04-27-2005, 17:38
Originally posted by fnfalman
German engine?

Developed by Ford of Europe, maybe? (Like the Focus).
^8

Well at least with the new Cobra being supercharged, that equals cheap horsepower. Just like the 02-03, change the pulley and belt and that blower and I am sure 550-600 hp could be had quite easily. They got well over 450hp at the tires for a bit under 600 bucks out of the 02-03 (they did it on Horsepower TV).

84b2
05-05-2005, 06:02
http://a904.g.akamai.net/7/904/506/v0011/www.autobytel.com/images/previews/05SaleenS281/400/2005-ford-saleen-s281-front.jpg

i personally love the cars when modifyed by saleen, not the biggest fan of them in stock trim, but saleen seems to make the car sex on wheels.

i cant wait till the s281E comes out, over 500HP and torque to match, who can go wrong with that?

saluki9
05-05-2005, 10:39
I'm probably the wrong person to be commenting on the car. (I'm not a troll) but American cars just don't do it for me, especially muscle cars. That being said I do rent a lot of cars while on business and have had both a 2004 and a 2005

1. The power is better now
2. I don't like the design at all, it just looks old and stale
3. fit and finish is better, but I would still never buy a car with a finish like even the new mustang has
4. power is much better in the 05

I think the new motor trend said it best in their article comparing a 350Z convertible to the mustang. The said that when it comes to mustangs either you get excited just hearing the name, or you wouldn't be caught dead in one.

I'm in the latter group, but I think for the target market ford has done a good job.

VictorLouis
05-05-2005, 18:28
engines, drivelines, etc.

I just know what I like. That said....
I think they did one HECKUVA job in styling the new 'Stang. :cool:
It's 2005, and 1965, all rolled together superbly.

My neighbor has one in that butt-fugly puke-green color that rotated between all of the Big-3 year after year. The car still looks great in spite of that color.;f

epsylum
05-05-2005, 19:01
Originally posted by VictorLouis
engines, drivelines, etc.

I just know what I like. That said....
I think they did one HECKUVA job in styling the new 'Stang. :cool:
It's 2005, and 1965, all rolled together superbly.

My neighbor has one in that butt-fugly puke-green color that rotated between all of the Big-3 year after year. The car still looks great in spite of that color.;f

The first one I ever saw in Indy was this guy's that works in my building. He at least got a GT and not the V-6 (manual to boot), but he got that stupid light girly blue color. ;0

Sports cars should be one fo only a few colors. Black, White, Silver, Red. That's about it.

Okay maybe a Dark blue, not a light blue, some people may wonder about your sexual orientation.;f