02 Ford F-150 tranny problems...help!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 02 Ford F-150 tranny problems...help!!

Dogbite
03-20-2005, 17:28
My 02 150 has almost 70,000 miles on it.When you place it in drive,there is about a 2 or 3 second hesitation before it engages.If you place it in reverse,it engages quickly.Also it seems if i slow down,then accelerate quickly,there is also a hesitation,its as if the tranny is trying to catch up.It does not "hop out" of gear when i am driving at a constant speed.I had all the tranny fluid changed,but they did not clean/replace the filter.Should that be my next logical step?? Thank you guys very much for any info.

Ghetto
03-20-2005, 21:08
Sounds like it's low on fluid.

Change the filter and flush the tranny.

jessz1
03-22-2005, 20:57
I would take the truck to a good reputable transmission shop. Have em test drive it and see what they recommend. My guess will be scan for transmission trouble codes first. There are a couple solinoids that will cause this problem...

Also, did they have the pan off when they serviced it or just flush the old fluid out?

Dogbite
03-23-2005, 21:40
I dont think they took the pan off--jiffy lube.They said just a flush.

Tom B
03-24-2005, 02:45
Take it to a Ford Dealer and have the fluid replaced with Motorcraft Mercon V fluid. My 97 F-150 now has 192K miles on it. Mercon V solved my problems years ago.

engineer151515
03-24-2005, 03:32
Fluid change

Tighten the bands.

Good as new.

:)

jessz1
03-24-2005, 05:31
No bands to tighten. I used dexron three with lubegard for years. Takes care of alot of the problems. Ford uses cheap fluid. In fact there is a couple TSB's about it. Take it to a good independant shop and get there opinion. Good luck.

engineer151515
03-24-2005, 07:31
Ford F-150 assuming 4R70W automatic transmission....he has bands. But, first check/change the fluid.

Tom B
03-24-2005, 15:39
OK before you take it back to Jiffy Lube or Aamco and get it totally ruined let me expand a little on my post. The Ford F-150 auto trans suffered with problems. I know because mine did and I researched every bulletin put out by ford on the subject. The problem was called torque convertor shudder and was caused by slippage in the convertor by heat build up. The Mercon fluid originally installed in the F-150 at the factory and at dealers during changes was breaking down under high temps. Ford's solution was to replace the Mercon with Mercon V. The Mercon V is a syn blend fluid designed to withstand much higher temps with less viscosity change. It certainly worked for me and I have had no problems in over 100K miles now. I am sure there are other brands of fluid that meet or exceed the V specs if you wish to use them. Now one last experience that may help. Years ago I decided to do a home fluid change in my 1986 F-150. I had experienced no tranny problems but I drained as much fluid out as possible without pulling the pan and filter. I then replaced with new fluid being careful not to over or under fill. As soon as I went for a test drive I had the same problems as you are having. The next day I took it and had a complete fluid and filter replacement and my problems went away. Cause and solution unkown. Good luck with your problem.

jessz1
03-24-2005, 16:03
Waity a minute! I got this thread and another confused. Yes, there are bands in this trans... yes ford has fluid issues... I use dexron three with an additive called Lubegard... works great at fixing these fluid related issues. Take it to a reputable shop and should be an easy fix.

Ljunatic
03-24-2005, 19:34
The clutch that applies on shift to Forward(OD) on a 4R70W holds in 1-2-3 and is off in OD(4th) it is not on in reverse. If you have problems with forward engagement and on a 4-3 downshift, then the forward clutch is the likely problem. A plugged filter will usually effect both forward and reverse , but since reverse pressures are much higher , it may not be noticeable. If you been driving around with a plugged filter for very long , you have probably slipped the forward clutch to death and IMHO that is a weak point on the 4R70W. You could spend another 150.00 to service the filter and put in the proper fluid, but if the forward clutch is burnt, it won't fix a thing.

NEVER, EVER ,FLUSH A TRANSMISSION WITHOUT REPLACING THE FILTER

ever piece of crap in the trans ends up breaking loose and deposits in the filter and plugs it up

By the way LUBEGARD is good stuff and I recommend it highly.

edit: the 4R70W has bands but they are not externally adjustable

jessz1
03-24-2005, 21:33
Originally posted by Ljunatic
The clutch that applies on shift to Forward(OD) on a 4R70W holds in 1-2-3 and is off in OD(4th) it is not on in reverse. If you have problems with forward engagement and on a 4-3 downshift, then the forward clutch is the likely problem. A plugged filter will usually effect both forward and reverse , but since reverse pressures are much higher , it may not be noticeable. If you been driving around with a plugged filter for very long , you have probably slipped the forward clutch to death and IMHO that is a weak point on the 4R70W. You could spend another 150.00 to service the filter and put in the proper fluid, but if the forward clutch is burnt, it won't fix a thing.

NEVER, EVER ,FLUSH A TRANSMISSION WITHOUT REPLACING THE FILTER

ever piece of crap in the trans ends up breaking loose and deposits in the filter and plugs it up

By the way LUBEGARD is good stuff and I recommend it highly.

edit: the 4R70W has bands but they are not externally adjustable

Good advice. I hate the Jiffy lubes that say we service your transmission only to flush it... what a waste.

Scrappy
03-25-2005, 07:40
Your biggest mistake was going to Jiffy Lube!
Never ever go to Jiffy Lubes!!!!!!
There are countless Horror stories about them. You have to change that trans filter.