Big bass bustin' out all over! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Big bass bustin' out all over!

J.P.
03-21-2005, 00:49
I hit one of my favorite holes yesterday armed only with a 3/8 oz F-5 spinnerbait and within 30min I busted 6 bucketmouths with 4 over 5 lbs!
As luck would have it,no camera.
I wasn't planning on fishing but I just happen to have my rod in the truck.

I went back today and threw evrything I had at'em with no luck.Then just for fun I tied on a brand new Rapala Skitter-prop just to try the lure's action and ended up bustin' six more but they weren't photo worthy.The largest was 4lbs.
Topwater action is great in Oklahoma right now!

Hopefully if it keeps up,I'll be posting pics of some hawgs this year.
;f

wannacmyglock
03-21-2005, 02:07
went fishing today, caught one small one on a buzz bait. I ended up making a custom buzz bait today, has a smaller prop, larger body, chartruse/white/pumpkin seed/red skirts all mixed up, along with a Berkly YUM worm tail on the trailer. Will have a better profile for casting, and I feel this prop is more suited towards creating commotion similar to a bait fish the size of the lures "body". I fish topwater 70-80% of the time simply for the topwater strikes. Nothing like a bass busting the surface going for a topwater.

The one I caught today was a small one but a blast. Using buzz baits, I get a lot of short strikes and VERY RARELY will I get a bass to strike immediately following a missed short strike. Today wasn't the case. He hit it, and missed it. I continued realing, and withen another 12-18 inches he busted on it again, this time I was able to get a good solid hookset. With as much as my drag was singing, I figured I had at least a 4-6 pounder, boy was I shocked when I pulled him up, 15 inches and 1.4 lbs. He was definately one of the more aggressive ones I've caught from this lake.

noway
03-21-2005, 07:59
Down here, we are in a post-spawn state, so what you describe above is common about this time of the year.

The bass are protecting their eggs plus the added issues that after spawning, they go a buffer all you an eat. This is one of the best time for bass fishing.

J.P.
03-22-2005, 01:09
I really like in-line buzzers but I don't currently have any.
li'l Hustlers are my favorite.

We got pounded with storms all day so I might go out in the morning with a black single Colorado blade spinnerbait and hit the flooded grass.