What other types of lifting should I be doing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What other types of lifting should I be doing?

pagluy
03-24-2005, 09:40
Hi, I just started lifting weights a few weeks ago. I'm in pretty good shape, but weaker than I want. Right now I am doing mostly bench presses and curls. What other types of lifting should I be doing to increase upper body strength?

beavis1957
03-24-2005, 13:40
I don't get too specific w/ my workouts. I do Bench, some variation of curls, a tricep workout, a chest workout(flies, or pec machine), and a shoulder workout(you could do shrugs w/ dumbells or a military press type workout w/ either a machine, bar, or dumbells.

That's about all I'm doing on my upper body days cause right now I'm concentrating on cardio to lose weight. Hope this helps.

Glock9mmFan
03-24-2005, 14:00
Shoulders... shoulder extensions (sorta like flapping your arms slowly with weights)

Triceps... incline bench press

Back... good mornings (bow while holding weights) or deadlifts

Stomach... crunches

Quads... squats (make SURE to use proper form or you can injure yourself)

Hamstrings... can't remember name, but I use ankle weights, and lift the weight behind me with my leg

Calves... standing calf raises (stand on tip-toes basically)

That should give you a more complete workout. Might want to break it up and only work each muscle maybe once or twice a week.

California Jack
03-24-2005, 18:50
squat, front squat, overhead squat, hack squats, zerchers of all types,deadlift, stiff legged deadlift, bent row, chins, incline bench, standing press, dips, side press, weighted situps, sidebends and maybe farmers walk.

concentrate on compound movements

Jo Mama
03-29-2005, 17:43
I think your workout should be balanced. If you do flat bench do bent over rows. If you do incline press do some pull ups. If you do curls do french press or skull crushers..

I work out three days a week. Day one chest and tricepts, day two back and bicepts, day three legs.

Make sure you are eating enough protein!

BCR
04-01-2005, 06:00
Well, FWIW....here's what I do for upper body

Chest: flat dumbell bench, incline dumbell bench, machine flies

Triceps: push downs

Shoulders: military press (with barbell or dumbell), side lateral raises

Biceps: EZ bar curls, preacher curls with dumbells

Back: Bent over rows, pull downs, shrugs

Slotback
04-03-2005, 13:57
Just for good measure, get some pushup handles, which cost a few bucks at a sporting goods store, and take them with you. When you lift chest, add in the pushups off the handles. You end up going deeper, and I found it to be very useful with my chest workouts.

Mister Joshua
04-04-2005, 12:30
squat
row
overhead press
chins
dips

nothing more

gunguru1
04-08-2005, 19:39
pagluy,

You might want to try doing your pushups between benches. For example, you could set one bench behind you on which to place your feet and one bench on either side of you on which to place your hands. In this way your feet will be elevated as well as your hands and you will still get a good stretch in your pecs at the bottom position of the movement.

gunguru1

California Jack
04-09-2005, 17:22
Josh,

What about SLDLs or DLs?

Jack

Mister Joshua
04-10-2005, 11:45
Originally posted by California Jack
Josh,

What about SLDLs or DLs?

Jack

DL's, in my experience, are not a "beginner friendly" excercise... too much back rounding or hitching and you can damage yourself for life... I consider that intermediate... but also a basic.

pagluy
04-11-2005, 08:39
Thank you guys for all of your comments, I am on my way to a better routine.