Any Other Flyfishers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Other Flyfishers?

wanderinwalker
03-24-2005, 20:00
Curiousity just got me, as I was working on building my new fly rod today, how many other flyfishers hang out here on GlockTalk? I know that Highpower rifle shooters aren't very common, it seems motorcycle riders are well represented, and fishers and hunters are a strong presence as well. But what about breaking down the fishers by asking who looks like to fly fish?

Me, love to. Have fly fished off and on for about 9 years and took it up religiously last summer. It seems more like an addiction than anything else.

Oh yeah, here's a few shots of the new stick:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/P-990/2005_0322DigiPic0039.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/P-990/2005_0324DigiPic0003.jpg

f1b32oPTic
03-25-2005, 07:56
sounding off!

ive flyfished for about 16 years and am currently in the market for a saltwater 6wt.

the cork on your rod looks high quality, whats the brand?

G. Gunman
03-25-2005, 08:15
:) Great hobby! Perhaps the most genteel and cerebral of all the outdoor sports. Never was bright enough to learn fly fishing, myself; I had to become a spin fisherman, instead; but, I would have loved to! Good luck with your new rod. (By the way, you must be very smart! Do you smoke a pipe, too?) ;)

Izze
03-25-2005, 09:55
Been fly fishing off and on for about 20 years. What length and weight is the rod? What wood did you use for the reel seat?

At the end of April, I am heading down to WAY southern Mexico (almost to Belize) and will do some fly fishing on the flats for tarpon. I have never done that, and cannot wait.

S

USPcompact
03-25-2005, 20:41
So far I've covered NC, Utah, Colorado, and Montana. It really is more of an addiction than a hobby. :)

wanderinwalker
03-25-2005, 20:46
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
sounding off!

ive flyfished for about 16 years and am currently in the market for a saltwater 6wt.

the cork on your rod looks high quality, whats the brand?

The grip and reel seat and Struble. Much, much better than any cork I've ever had on a spin or fly rod. (Of course that single piece alone costs around $25 for cork that nice, and I've handled Orvis rods with AMAZING Extra-Flor grade grips.)

Nope, no pipe smoking. Heck I'm barely old enough to enjoy a beer after a nice day on the water! Pipes are for old fogeys! ;)

Stop CPR
03-26-2005, 02:27
I have fly fished for 20 some years. I find old apples combined with pears that have gone bad attract the most flies. Fruit flies are the hardest to release after you land 'em because they swallow the hook.

Fear no Fish!!

RugerFan58
03-26-2005, 07:03
Originally posted by wanderinwalker
The grip and reel seat and Struble. Much, much better than any cork I've ever had on a spin or fly rod. (Of course that single piece alone costs around $25 for cork that nice, and I've handled Orvis rods with AMAZING Extra-Flor grade grips.)

Nope, no pipe smoking. Heck I'm barely old enough to enjoy a beer after a nice day on the water! Pipes are for old fogeys! ;) From NH heh?? I grew up in Rochester. I've been thinking about getting a fly rod because alot of the places my wife and I camp at are fly fishing only now. It's not fun when you can see the fish swimming a few feet away from you and you can't do anything about it. ;c

Wet Dog
03-26-2005, 08:37
It's tough to beat a day out on a river slinging flys at trouts. Last year I took up saltwater flyfishing targeting Coho and Searun Cutthroat, great fun too!

Esox357
03-26-2005, 13:17
I have flyfished for about 19 years and fly tye as well. I enjoy going after Northern Pike with a flyrod when I can. The fishing in Nebraska isn't great so I manage to catch crappie and bluegill most the time and a occassional large mouth bass. The Game and Parks stocks area lakes in October with rainbow trout that range from 9-12 inches in size.
Flyfishing seems to be a dying art around here but almost every time out I have people ask me how to fly fish or if they can try it? I don't mind I think its great to see people interested in it. Once you feel the fight of the fish through a flyrod there is no way most would want to go back to a spin rod.
Its also a plus not buying bait. Don't get me wrong this past year or two I have tried some carp, catfish, and wallye fishing and like it but it is not as fun as the flyrod, but it allows me to catch some different species that I generally don't catch on the flyrod.
Enjoy your rod and good luck. Esox357

wanderinwalker
03-27-2005, 15:10
I think fly-fishing is fairly popular over here, but I know up through the mountains there is a lot of fly-only water. Last summer my father and I took a motorcycle ride through the White Mountains and I lost count of how many places that made my say, "Wish I had my fly rod!" :)

And fly-fishing without quick and easy access to trout water to me seems like a bummer, though crappie, bluegill and bucket mouths are tons of fun to catch as well. I should note that the majority of fisheries over here are put-and-take, and my favorite fishing spots typically yield brook trout in the 5-14" range, depending on whether or not they are stockies or natives.

Yamdog
03-27-2005, 20:41
I've been fly fishing for about 19 years now. I fish trout, warm water species, steelhead, salmon, and shad. It's great fun and I am fortunate to live pretty close to some decent river access for anadromous species. I have Sage, Loomis, and Scott rods. I also use Bauer, and Lamson reels.

Hoingshiba
03-27-2005, 22:44
One here too. When ever I am not doing something else, like shooting coyotes or hiking, I am flyfishing...I love it too.

eisman
03-30-2005, 08:52
All I'll say is that I too practice whipping the water into submission (with varying results).

J.P.
03-31-2005, 09:54
Absolutely.
Good trout waters are not easy to come by here in OK but I get to them when I can.
I'm just as close to Arkansas' White River as any of them.
I rarely flyfish for bass.

wanderinwalker
03-31-2005, 20:32
Cool to see all of the others on here! I actually think there might be one or two more; this board has A LOT of members.

BTW, the above pictured rod is now on coat #2 on the thread wraps. Looks okay, guess it's not bad for a first effort. My biggest worry is hoping it doesn't fall apart after more than a few casts and fish! ;P

Stop CPR
04-01-2005, 23:01
You are coating the thread with epoxy, rotating it a couple of hours so it wont drip until it drys and guarding it from the cat, right? ;Z

wanderinwalker
04-04-2005, 17:27
Originally posted by Stop CPR
You are coating the thread with epoxy, rotating it a couple of hours so it wont drip until it drys and guarding it from the cat, right? ;Z

Yes, I did. It is now final finished and cured. Despite careful attention and rotating, it still resembles my first job with polyurethane on a bookshelf. Not quite crystal smooth, but it should be durable and serviceable for a good long time.

Stop CPR
04-25-2005, 21:09
I fished the Green River in Utah at Little Hole last week. I haven't fished here for a couple of years and ALL the Rainbows have disappeared. They have either moved out for the spawn or have been the victims of over management.

I caught a lot of Browns, twenty or more a day, but all of them were very thin, no thicker than their head. This is basically a catch and release water. Fish are starving and could use some thinning out. Perhaps the Utah fish and game men need to look at this again.

Fear no Fish!

gatorfish
05-05-2005, 08:42
Saltwater flyfisher here...

goal this season is to finally land a 100+ tarpon on fly.

CanyonMan
05-05-2005, 20:33
Absolutely love it! Even in our canyon ponds, (very deep), catching the bluegill. There are also some HUGE bass in these deep ponds as well, if i can hook one! ;f

I am not to good at it, and get kinda tangled at times, but man i tell ya, this is the way to have fun with any size fish. ;)

CanyonMan

Wildpony
05-06-2005, 11:44
I Fly fish too and love it.

Gotta admit though Im a little green at it, but that doesnt stop me from enjoying it.

veryolddog
05-08-2005, 17:18
My wife and I just got back today from fly fishing. We both had a great day. Landed 8 and about every other cast had a hit. Fly-fishing is a fantastic experience which we have enjoyed for many years. Going again next weekend and it is only half hour from the house.

lomfs24
05-09-2005, 09:04
I flyfish and love it too. I have never tied my own though. And I am not the best. My casting style looks a lot like granny swatting flies with a broom handle. ;f

I like to fish the small streams here in Montana. There is a lot more action on them and they are a lot tougher to fish. And when I mean tough I mean you are pushing brush out of the way with your left arm so you can cast about 6 feet with your right arm. Very tight holes. If fact the largest brown I have ever caught was me laying on my belly on top of a 10 foot wash cut over a hole. I simply stripped line of my reel until the grasshopper hit the water. There was no casting involved.

Yep, love those little streams. I leave the large rivers south of I-90 to the tourists who seem to think that is fly fishing in Montana. There is only one river I will fish south of I-90 in Montana. And no, it is not one of the headwaters of the Missouri.

VolFan
05-09-2005, 12:20
Got another addict here....

veryolddog: Had the same experience as you this past weekend. Not sure where you went, but the Little River and its tributaries have been fishing very well lately. I went to the Middle Prong around Tremont on Saturday and did pretty well. Unfortunately, I'm about to begin a Summer internship and am now four hours away. Guess I can always look forward to the Fall!