Long ride..what to wear??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Long ride..what to wear???

hapuna
03-25-2005, 12:46
OK in a couple of weeks I have to go and pick up the Honda 1300 that I bought in San Jose and ride it back to Seattle. I will fly down with a backpack and helmet. What do you all think would be the best gear to wear on the return that could handle the weather conditions that I might run into without taking up a lot of space. I basically have the 2 saddle bags and my backpack(small one).
Also how many miles do you think I can comfortably cover in a day having not ridden any distances for over 5 years??? :)

hapuna
03-25-2005, 15:33
Bump...cmon I need sage advice on this.:)

fnfalman
03-25-2005, 16:00
Oh man, anything from Aerostitch, First Gear, Icon, Joe Rocket, Fieldsheer, et al will do. You would need either a suit or a two-piece (two-piece is more convenient for that "rest stop" if you know what I mean) that is water resistant for the rain, but that's about it. I suppose you can get one that also has insulated liner as well for warmth. I can tell you this much: get yourself some of them fancy long sleeve undershirt that's made out of polyester in funky weaves that actually soak the sweat away from your skin. Get something like that from REI or the big sporting store. Depending on your expected riding weather, you can get an all-season one or a thicker cold weather one. Same thing for undies. Don't forget about the gloves. And good wool socks as well. Cotton won't cut it when they collect up sweat and feel all nasty and cold.

These fancy underwears really help out with the comfort issue.

Here are some suggestions:
Jacket http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=50-9813
Pants http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=50-5415

Gloves http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=33-2326

Undershirt http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/detail.asp?dept_id=5&pf_id=0444&mscssid=
Underpants http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/detail.asp?dept_id=4&pf_id=0525&mscssid=

I hate to say it but you're gonna have to be the one making the decision about what to buy and wear.

Or you can call up this joint to have them ship your motorcycle for you for fairly cheap price: http://www.acatransport.com

hapuna
03-25-2005, 17:46
fnfal!! You da man! I wish those closeout items had larger sizes!:cool:

tosainu1
03-25-2005, 19:47
I have a Fieldsheer Highland suit, kinda like an aerostitch suit except it also comes with an insulated liner..Very comfortable to wear and very safe suit with lots of built in hard armor everywhere and very cheap too for what you get..I would buy one of those...

kshuart
03-25-2005, 21:50
I'd take a rain suit as well. Most pack light, but can be used for rain or cold. It's amazing how much cold air one can block out.

You realize that if you are buying a bike in Kalifornia, it is going to have more emissions crap on it, don't you?? Is there a reason you would want that???

Mileage depends on type of riding. I've ridden 300 miles of nothing but twisties and been exhausted. Then again, you could probably ride 400-500 miles of interstate just fine. Just depends on the comfort level of the bike and speeds you are running.

Things I would take:
1 or 2 piece suit
rain suit
helmet
gloves (2 pairs if you have them - just in case you get caught in the rain one day)
boots
sunglasses or tinted shield
clear shield
shield cleaner
MP3 player with some sort of ear plugs/speakers
regular ear plugs (if not using the MP3 player)
Cell phone
bicycle shorts if you have them
tire repair kit
Advil
snacks (cliff bar or something)
silk long johns if it is going to be cold
camelback if it's going to be hot (drink lots of water)

norton
03-26-2005, 19:30
Make sure you take a good rainsuit. Nothing worse then riding in the rain without one.
I prefer the 2 piece design. The one piece might be a little more water tight, but 2 piece allows you to leave the pants on, but take the jacket off if it stops raining. A one piece leaves you in the dilema of, should I take this dam##ed thing off now that its not raining, or leave it on in case it starts again.
Totes, or some type of overshoe in case it rains. You are going to seattle aren't you?
Water resistant gloves.
Ear plugs
I wouldn't bother with the snacks. They do have Convenience stores in the West, don't they?
If you take an MP3, make sure they are legal for m/c in the states you cross.
A good attitude. Being out of sorts can get you wadded up in a hurry.
Cell phone for sure.
Extra money, credit cards in case of breakdown.
a small high power flashlight.
Maps, in case you "don't know the way to San Jose."
Have fun. sounds like a great trip.

Texas T
03-26-2005, 22:12
Good timing on the question. I got my bike two weeks ago yesterday (first one in 25+ years) and today I took a 415 mile trip to have lunch with friends. Got rained on for about half the ride and very strong winds on top of that. Here's what I used...

Fieldsheer Highland 1-pc suit. I took the pants liner out before I left the house this morning because it was almost 70 degrees and 90 percent humidity in Houston this morning. I should have left it in because we got deluged with rain once I hit Austin and we headed for the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls (best breakfast in TX according to Texas Highways mag). My crotch was SOAKED by the time we got to the cafe. http://www.thorn.org/TWT%20Rides.htm for details.
http://members.cox.net/ridemygs500/DCP_1283.JPG for a photo of my fat backside in the suit.

I had my Draggin Jeans underneath anticipating a warm ride home, but instead I now had wet jeans to deal with all day long. I also had one of my Joe Rocket Ballistic jackets in the saddlebag in case it did warm up; again, that just didn't happen.

Started out with my Held "Steve" touring gloves and they did me well up till Austin although it was a bit cold for the final 20-30 miles. I was wearing Tourmaster silk liners which also helped to keep my hands warm.

Once I met up with the Austin group I changed into my Tourmaster Winter Elite insulated gloves because it looked like the rain might get a bit worse for the final 30 mile dash to the cafe. Good choice. The last 5 miles to the cafe was made at 20-30 mph with practically nil visibility but my hands stayed dry. These gloves also come with their own built-in rain covers which I used later in the day. These really help to prevent the rain from soaking into the gloves.

I also had a Windstopper head cover that tucks down into the jacket to keep the cold air off the neck. I picked this up two days ago thinking I wouldn't need it until next winter; I'm sure glad I took it with me today. It made a big difference in my comfort.

Boots are Oxtar Matrix - fully waterproof with some thick wool socks. No issues at all.

Wore my Froggs Toggs almost all the way home. I can't rave about these enough. If the rain hadn't come down on us so hard and so quick the first time I would have worn them on the way to the cafe. These things are great... cheap, durable, breathable, water-proof, and minimal flapping even at 80+ speeds.

What I would do different...
I would leave the liners in until I knew for certain that I didn't need them.
I would put the rain gear on at the FIRST indication of rain.
I would wear the heaviest, most waterproof gloves to begin with and change later if needed. I did have a mesh pair in the bags if it did get hot later in the day.
I would make sure I have a fog shield on my helmet; the biggest pain in the @$$ for me today was riding with the visor cracked open so that I could see.
I would take FN's advice and get the Under Armour underwear; I hope to pick some up next week.

As for riding long distances... my butt and back was killing me most of the day and I would stop every 100 miles in the morning and every 50-75 on the way home just to get off the bike and stretch. Part of that is the config of my own bike; I need to install my peg lowerers and although I just put risers on the bars I still need to do something to get them higher and farther back.

Take your aspirin, advil, tylenol BEFORE you begin your ride so that it is in effect before the pain gets to you. The more comfortable you are the longer you can ride safely.

Hopefully this is the kind of info you are looking for.

hapuna
03-27-2005, 10:07
Yes these are exactly what I was seeking. I don't think I'll have an mp3 player but most of the other stuff sounds good.

There were 2 things I do have questions about???
Why the bicycle shorts??
Why the earplugs? I like to be aware of whats happening around me and using earplugs would seem to hamper that wouldnt it?

Texas T
03-27-2005, 14:34
Originally posted by hapuna
Yes these are exactly what I was seeking. I don't think I'll have an mp3 player but most of the other stuff sounds good.

There were 2 things I do have questions about???
Why the bicycle shorts??
Why the earplugs? I like to be aware of whats happening around me and using earplugs would seem to hamper that wouldnt it?
1. I will be hooking up my bike with some tunes in the future. The 1 hour of riding the hills/twisties with my buds was the only really enjoyable portion of an overall 7.5 hour ride. I'm looking at options for either my MyFi or my Roady II for the bike.

2. Bicycle shorts are one of the secrets of the Iron Butt riders to prevent getting "monkey butt". The material gives you a lot of support and cushion.

3. Earplugs are not an option. You wouldn't shoot without plugs or muffs would you? Why would you ride for hours upon end with nothing but noise (high decibel) banging on your ear drums? I rode for a day or two without plugs - had them, just didn't put them in, and then when I did use them I could not believe the incredible difference in my riding comfort. Plugs will save your hearing - I have a constant ringing in my ears from not paying attention to advice like this years ago - and they will not prevent you from hearing the things you "need" to hear.

If you consider your ears the primary accident avoidance sensory system that you have, you shouldn't be riding. The plugs will attenuate the noise level, not prevent you from hearing. It's no different than going to the range and being able to converse with the guy in the next lane.

Try it without, and try it with. You'll be a believer! ;f

Don't push your luck on distance, especially right off the bat. I was thinking about doing a Saddle Sore 1000 in June, but based upon my 400 mile ride yesterday I realized that there ain't no way I could do it. I need a taller shield and taller bars with more pullback so that I can sit more upright.

Start off by taking a break every hour. If you feel you can handle that, move up to 90 minutes. Drink lots of water for two reasons:
1. The air moving past you will tend to dehydrate your body more quickly;
2. It will force you to stop and go pee which in turn forces you off the bike for a break.

See my detailed wet weather riding report I made today at:
http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=3847
and read the ending where I write about the things I learned from my first trip.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ride safe.

Brian

norton
03-27-2005, 16:58
Ear plugs not only save your hearing, but they help in cold weather. It must be psychological, but not hearing the wind rushing around my helmet helps to keep me warmer.

hapuna
03-28-2005, 12:28
TT,
Good stuff. Man you had a lot of gear with you on that ride.

Hey I have some full lenght bicycle pants will those do? And I will take the ear plugs and see if I like them.:)

Mad Ryan
03-28-2005, 18:27
On your way up I-5 if you need to stop off in Medford let me know. PM me with your travel plan. I ride and can possibly help out with advice for riding in Oregon. I'll PM you my PH #

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid111/p76b3e044c48822bf8d690031e70f14fd/f90f83c6.jpg

hapuna
03-28-2005, 19:02
Mad Ryan,
Sounds good I was thinking of stopping either way up in N. Cal or around Medford. What is the condition of the pass thru the mountains near the border. Is it the Siskyous?? Lets talk.:)

Texas T
03-28-2005, 20:49
TT,
Man you had a lot of gear with you on that ride.

Hey I have some full lenght bicycle pants will those do? And I will take the ear plugs and see if I like them.:)
1. The benefit of having a touring bike with hard bags! :)
2. Yes, the full length pants should work well.
3. I guarantee you that the plugs will be a benefit to you.

kshuart
03-28-2005, 21:06
And I will take the ear plugs and see if I like them.:)

I think you will like the part of not listening to a high pitched whistle going through your helmet for 2 days the best. Since I use an intercom and MP3 player on my bike, the 30 db plugs are a bit too much. Instead, I use musicianís ear plugs. I think they are about 20 db, but allow you to still hear everything that goes on. If you decide you like them, but the foam ear plugs are too much, give these a try.

http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/profmusearpl1.html

Mad Ryan
03-29-2005, 02:34
Mad Ryan,
Sounds good I was thinking of stopping either way up in N. Cal or around Medford. What is the condition of the pass thru the mountains near the border. Is it the Siskyous?? Lets talk.:)

The Siskyous aren't bad unless it's storming, which isn't likely this time of year. During the winter it's bad. You don't want to hit them at night or first thing in the morning tho as you will freeze your nuts off. You might need to watch for patches of sand so I recommend daylight when coming over. Medford is a good place to stay and we have lots of room at our place here provided you're not allergic to cats or my dog. I have a garage for the bike and more gear you can borrow if you're cold and need it for the trip further north. You can mail it back down.

I would recommend Under Armor as your base layer to keep you warm. The stuff is awesome. From there you can't beat leather for protection, but textile is better against wet. We have a place called Motorcycle USA here in town ( www.motorcycleusa.com ) that has everything you can imagine in stock if you want to hold off on getting your serious cold weather stuff till you hit Oregon. No sales tax!

My direct email is

ryans_pad@hotmail.com

my name is Ryan

my cell # is 541-621-9163 call after 5PM

Texas T
03-29-2005, 21:47
Originally posted by Mad Ryan
We have a place called Motorcycle USA here in town ( www.motorcycleusa.com ) that has everything you can imagine in stock if you want to hold off on getting your serious cold weather stuff till you hit Oregon. No sales tax! Speaking of gear, Cycle Gear is based in No Cal and they have a store in San Jose. Since you're flying down, you could just buy whatever you need at the store and then ride back up. They are on the web so you can order ahead of time and have it ready for pickup if that particular store didn't have something in stock.

I shop them here in Houston and like their service.

Cycle Gear in San Jose (http://www.cyclegear.com/stores/sj.cfm)

fnfalman
03-30-2005, 10:43
I like Cycle Gear's customer service too. Their sales people are real riders and know the gears instead of the salesdrones in megamarts like Chaparral Motorsport in San Bernardino, CA.

hapuna
04-06-2005, 12:08
Ryan,
Looks like I'll be having a lot of bad weather so I'll see how much progress I can make. I may end up my first stop in N. Cal. In which case I'll probably push thru to Portland the next day. I'll try and give you a call and let you know how I'm doing. Maybe we can have a meal or something if I don't make it to Medford. Anyway thanks for your hospitality. Lets see what happens :)

Originally posted by Mad Ryan
The Siskyous aren't bad unless it's storming, which isn't likely this time of year. During the winter it's bad. You don't want to hit them at night or first thing in the morning tho as you will freeze your nuts off. You might need to watch for patches of sand so I recommend daylight when coming over. Medford is a good place to stay and we have lots of room at our place here provided you're not allergic to cats or my dog. I have a garage for the bike and more gear you can borrow if you're cold and need it for the trip further north. You can mail it back down.

I would recommend Under Armor as your base layer to keep you warm. The stuff is awesome. From there you can't beat leather for protection, but textile is better against wet. We have a place called Motorcycle USA here in town ( www.motorcycleusa.com ) that has everything you can imagine in stock if you want to hold off on getting your serious cold weather stuff till you hit Oregon. No sales tax!

My direct email is

ryans_pad@hotmail.com

my name is Ryan

my cell # is 541-621-9163 call after 5PM

fnfalman
04-06-2005, 16:45
Ride safe. If the weather turns too badly, just pull over to a motel or something.

Mad Ryan
04-06-2005, 22:23
Ryan,
Looks like I'll be having a lot of bad weather so I'll see how much progress I can make. I may end up my first stop in N. Cal. In which case I'll probably push thru to Portland the next day. I'll try and give you a call and let you know how I'm doing. Maybe we can have a meal or something if I don't make it to Medford. Anyway thanks for your hospitality. Lets see what happens :)

When are you coming up? Remember, weather reports in this part of the state are notoriously inaccurate, so you might consult me before the internet. Also, with the proper gear, crappy weather is no sweat.

Mad Ryan
04-06-2005, 22:24
As an addendum to my previous post, the internet says it rained today, but it was actually sunny and hot. ;Q

jpa
04-06-2005, 23:07
TT,
Good stuff. Man you had a lot of gear with you on that ride.

Bike pants/shorts are tailored with the seams in strategic locations so that they don't chafe and cause irritation from sitting for a long time in the saddle like wearing underwear would. I learned this after my first 300 mile ride, with one 5 minute stop for gas. Your regular underwear be it boxers, briefs, bikini, thong, boxer briefs, whatever will start to ride up, twist, chafe, etc etc. Bike shorts stay in place.

I haven't tried the earplugs, but if you wear a helmet the wind noise at highway speeds is almost deafening. I might start keeping a set in my bag.

Ditto on the rainsuit. Get a good one that fits well. I prefer a two-piece I bought during my MSF course at the HD shop (ugh). I paid through the nose for it, but I'll be damned if it won't last me forever.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
-jpa

Texas T
04-07-2005, 22:39
Originally posted by jpa
I haven't tried the earplugs, but if you wear a helmet the wind noise at highway speeds is almost deafening. I might start keeping a set in my bag.
Once you try a good set of plugs you'll wonder why you ever rode without them.

Ditto on the rainsuit. Get a good one that fits well. I prefer a two-piece I bought during my MSF course at the HD shop (ugh). I paid through the nose for it, but I'll be damned if it won't last me forever.
I have Frogg Toggs and swear by them. I use the Pro Angler version that has the high bib front on the pants. Rode two hours in a pouring rain coming back from Austin a few weeks ago and stayed dry and didn't overheat inside the suit at all. Cost was about $70 and WELL worth it.

hapuna
04-11-2005, 11:08
Well thought I should post a summary of my ride!!!!!!!!!;g

Could not have picked a worse weekend to try this.
Got there on Thursday afternoon and went down and picked up the bike. No problems at all the bike was beautiful and in excellent condition. The winds were in the 30 mph area. Not bad but not fun. Rode it back to San Jose as a warm up for the long trip.
Weather was looking bad for the next day. They said heavy rain to arrive in mid morning. Got an early start to beat the rain with the goal of getting to I5 by 10am. Its usually drier in the Eastern part where I5 is. Well at 8:30 the rain started and it got worse and worse. It just wasn't fun so I pulled in to Las Positas Golf Course for a break. Called Oakland FSS to check the weather and he said it was going to pass by 2pm. (Funny aside I told him I was a pilot but was not with my plane and was just checking road conditions. He still wanted the call number which I gave him but again reminded him I was not with the plane).
Sure enough shortly after 1:45 its breaking up with blue skies so I jump back on and head for 5. As I turn on to 5 I find myself in a violent hail storm so I get off!!! Get some gas and make sure the storm has passed then get back on 5. Its really nice and I enjoy cruising to Sacramento. Called Arnold to see if he could put me up for the night and alls well(OK it wasn't Arnold but another friend that lived off 50). As I turn onto Hwy 50 it was like entering a wind tunnel!!!! I was getting blasted all over the place and barely able to stay in my lane. It was very tense and I was fully worn out by this hellish day of riding. I got to my friends house and shut down the bike on his driveway. He comes running out and says "you may want to put it in the garage as there is a tornado coming our way!!
I go in and watch the new showing the time and place of the tornado track and low and behold it followed me from 5 onto 50 and up 50 almost to the house. Winds not in the tornado were 60mph(over 70 in the tornado).
Needless to say I rented a truck and drove the bike the rest of the way back.;f

fnfalman
04-11-2005, 11:38
Well, it was worth the effort!!! Builds character.;a

hapuna
04-11-2005, 17:06
Originally posted by fnfalman
Well, it was worth the effort!!! Builds character.;a

Amen brother. And I must say its a great bike though it is hella dirtier than it was in the guys garage!!!!

hapuna
04-14-2005, 16:39
Here it is.
Dang no pic!

hapuna
04-14-2005, 16:40
Again

fnfalman
04-14-2005, 17:52
Looks like metallic candy apple red. Nice color.

Texas T
04-15-2005, 04:37
Nice looking ride!