Can women take martial arts with men? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can women take martial arts with men?

ChuteTheMall
03-27-2005, 18:19
What about grappling, judo, jello wrasslin, is that OK?

Or boxing?

Hey, we need a Martial Arts Forum, go here to vote for it:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346475&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=1

Ohhh, cat fight. Gimme a camera! ;P

Steelviper
04-04-2005, 12:24
I've had good experiences training with mixed classes in Taekwondo. For the self defense drills, forms, and kicking/punching techniques everything works great. Special considerations would be made during particular self defense drills that might get uncomfortable, but for the most part students were interchangable.

If female students had a particular strength, it would have to be in some of the kicking techniques. There were ladies that had a dance background that could perform spin-kicks that would take your head off. If female students had a weakness, it would be in sparring. It has been my experience that female students tend to be less aggressive. This could lead to stalemates when they sparred each other, and getting "pushed around" by males during sparring. This was not 100% though. My wife actually tended to ending up chasing her opponents around, as the males were NOT accustomed to being on the defensive against a female.

I could see how an all-female class might be good for building confidence early on, but I think in the long run the more important principal is to "practice like you fight". If you only train against females, you'll get used to fighting females. When it comes down to it, you're more likely to be attacked by a male, and you'd best know exactly what it takes to deal with that.

Weston
08-15-2005, 18:03
Originally posted by ChuteTheMall
What about grappling, judo, jello wrasslin, is that OK?

Or boxing?

Hey, we need a Martial Arts Forum, go here to vote for it:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346475&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=1

Ohhh, cat fight. Gimme a camera! ;P

grappling, judo and jello are ok, to a point. boxing is not ok, there is not point.

obxprnstar
08-15-2005, 20:43
mmmmn, jello.