Best fly rods [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best fly rods

Stop CPR
03-27-2005, 23:30
I live in the West and fish for trout in Utah, Colorado and Montana. I have fished with Sage rods, Orvis, Lomis, Redding and various rod blanks I have built myself. For the money, I have found Sage and Orvis to be the best buys. Good quality. Good service and they fish great. What rods have worked well for you? I am in the market for a salmon rod biger than the 5 wts I fish now.

J.P.
03-28-2005, 09:09
Sage and Orvis are both great rods.
I also like Thomas and Thomas.Their LPS 4wt is very nice!
Personally my Orvis "Far and Fine" is my favorite.
(7'9" 5wt graphite)It has a slower action than most graphite rods.

Yamdog
03-28-2005, 15:24
You can't go wrong with a Sage. I recently picked up a Scott E series 9'6" 7 weight. I used it for steelhead this year. It casts effortlessly. It is lighter and develops more line speed easier than my Loomis IMX 7 weight. In general I am a Sage type of guy and really like the way they cast as well as handle line, but I really like this Scott.

Wet Dog
03-31-2005, 08:35
I really like the way Winston rods cast. I'm not sure they are worth the bucks but I'd say all things being equal they throw a line a little farther than my other rods.

The problem I have with expensive gear is that I fear buggering it up, which means I don't use it as often. Even with the "free" replacement you are still out a few weeks and about $40 shipping. Unless I know the water I'm fishing I'll usually explore with my lower end stuff. If I had the bucks to blow, I'd own more Winstons.

J.P.
03-31-2005, 09:00
Winston does make some nice stuff.
Frankly,it's hard to find a bad rod these days.It all boils down to personal prefrence really.
St.Croix is lower end but they make some very nice casters (and some real dogs).
My wife has an el-cheapo Cabela's rod and it casts like a dream.

Wet Dog
03-31-2005, 11:42
What JP said +1

Those Cabelas rods are pretty nice. I used one on a trip last year and I was quite pleased with the performance. It cost less than $150 for the whole outfit was my understanding. I was darn tempted to buy myself one.

Side by side, I'd pick the Winston, prettier and shoots the line very well. Out on the water they both catch fish and I never once thought "If I only had my other rod.." Don't tell my wife though. I still need a nice 4wt.