Stage guitar [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stage guitar

Black Metal
03-28-2005, 18:14
Will probably be starting a death metal band soon. I dont want to carry my $1400 Jackson on stage. Who makes makes a good superstrat around $700-$800 that can take some abuse? Been thinking about an Ibanez. Any suggestions?

Black Metal

84S
03-28-2005, 19:02
How much do you have in your amp and gear? If I were you I would use the Jackson and guard it with your life.

PawDog
03-28-2005, 19:09
You can't beat a real American Standard Stratocaster! Used can be found for around $500-700, most anywhere....check it Gbase.com;+

Black Metal
03-28-2005, 22:47
Goodpoint 84S;) I have a small Crate amp. I should probably invest in a monster cable and a bigger amp. Mesa Boogie, Marshall? Im not doing any crazy effects stuff right now so I can probably make due without a effects peddle for a while. We'll see.

84S
03-29-2005, 08:56
Originally posted by Black Metal
Goodpoint 84S;) I have a small Crate amp. I should probably invest in a monster cable and a bigger amp. Mesa Boogie, Marshall? Im not doing any crazy effects stuff right now so I can probably make due without a effects peddle for a while. We'll see.

If you put $1400 into your guitar you can put at least half of that into a decent amp. Play your Jackson and buy a Marshall stack. You didn't spend $1400 on a guitar to look at it.;)

Aphotic
03-29-2005, 15:08
I once bought a $150 Japanese Fender Strat just for playing live... it had waaay too much treble in it for my band's music, but it really took a beating and was pretty good on the solo.

Ibanez make good guitars with a heavy sound... just make sure if your singer screams, that he REALLY CAN scream!!! I got a sample cd after a Slipknot concert a couple of weeks ago and the "screamers" on a few of the songs were just weak... imagine a dog with bad vocal chords trying to scream things like "madness" and "hurt."

It was terrible hahaha.

Back to the point though, I'd play your Jackson. It's a really quality guitar- just don't be jumping into the crowd with it or smashing it on stage.

Marshall amps will do fine too... so +1 there as well.

.22 boy
03-29-2005, 17:37
Strat for death metal?????

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

What type of Jackson is it???

Black Metal
03-30-2005, 10:10
Thanks for all the input.
Its a neck-thru USA soloist. Pre-fender. Two humbuckers. No single pickup. 3 way toggle switch

FWIW Karl Sanders from NILE some times plays a fender strat with a maple neck.

Nile is an extremely brutal band.

Berto
03-31-2005, 14:32
Akerfeldt from OPeth used a Strat on many of their earlier efforts and I've watched Sanders perform with one for Nile.:)

.22 boy
03-31-2005, 20:44
A Strat may work, But it ain't gonna look as good doing it! As a Jackson,Bc-rich,ESP would. Catch my drift???:)

Soujurn
04-01-2005, 16:38
Some ideas for you to consider.

Don't take anything to gigs you aren't willing to see get stolen or trashed. Stuff happens.
The big stars take expensive guitars to gigs but they also have security for them and can afford to replace them.

Ibanez 7 stringers if you want to play heavy duty thrash and death metal. They look the part.

If you want to go with a half stack, I'd suggest looking for used Mesa, Saldano, or Marshall. 50 watt tube head anyway.
100 if you aren't going to be miking the cab.
A MT2 pedal. So you can get that metal sound without having to put your volume/gain on 10.

Black Metal
04-04-2005, 10:10
Thanks for giving some more good points Sojourn.

.22boy-- I get your point:) A Strat can get you the sound but does.nt exactly have the look. The Jackson was a birthday present from my mom. I got it a few years after I had to sell another Jackson when I fell on some hard times. So its got alot of sentimental value also. Id freak if anything happened to it.

Mad Ryan
04-10-2005, 11:45
Believe it or not, a non trem Ibanez S-series guitar with a seymour duncan JB in the bridge is about as heavy as you can get tonally. I sold my Les Paul (EMG's) after getting one of these as they play soooo much better and sound amazing. They have a mahogany body with the maple neck so you get a great blend of heavy with alot of high end to cut through. The JB has enough mids to round out the sound nicely. I also have one of the new Japanese made jackson dinky's with a stopbar tailpiece and it's a really nice guitar. Fit and finish is awesome and it wasn't that much.

Amp wise, I'd stick with something tube. Try out the new Peavy's. Also Crate makes a couple of really trick amps, but stay away from anything guitar center sells as they are proprietary amps that you generally can't get serviced through a regular dealer. This goes for all their stuff.

jarnld
04-14-2005, 22:14
Music is my career so I hear these amps everyday...I just dont like the Marshall sound after using and recording guys playing through Mesa Boogie amps. Dual rectifier solo head is amazing. for the price it should play your songs for you. The customer support is AMAZING!

reconvic
04-15-2005, 16:35
i use for recording my 1979 Les Paul Custom, on stage never it will be mostly mt satch siggy axe or my custom Washburn.

Mad Ryan
04-15-2005, 23:34
Originally posted by reconvic
i use for recording my 1979 Les Paul Custom, on stage never it will be mostly mt satch siggy axe or my custom Washburn.

That's a nice Les Paul... I used to have a Washburn N-4 which is the Nuno Bettencourt guitar and still ranks as one of my all time fav guitars. Thing sounded amazing through just about anything. My LP was a black LP standard (Creme binding) and had EMG 81's and Chrome hardware. It was a cool guitar, but I was able to score a really nice Jackson (among other things) with the money from selling it, and I like the Jackson much better.

Here's my stuff...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid165/p302c70b393e103ae5f8f390115a537e2/f4745aa0.jpg

Mossjaw
12-16-2008, 21:13
Will probably be starting a death metal band soon. I dont want to carry my $1400 Jackson on stage. Who makes makes a good superstrat around $700-$800 that can take some abuse? Been thinking about an Ibanez. Any suggestions?

Black Metal

Go for the Ibanez.