Tell me about Arkansas please. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Arkansas please.

WFR
03-29-2005, 19:00
What can you guys & gals tell me about Arkansas?
I'm into hunting, shooting, fishing, backpacking and canoeing.
What does the state offer?
Anyone living there have soem first-hand info?
Thanks in advance!
WFR

sarge
03-29-2005, 19:23
You an do all that and more here. What area are you looking at coming to??

WFR
03-29-2005, 20:18
Little Rock or within 30 miles of it, preferably north of LR.
Please tell me more. Thanks!

scowan007
03-29-2005, 20:20
Shoes are not allowed. Homes without wheels are not allowed. Marriage outside the family is not allowed. More than 5 teeth in one head is not allowed.

;f ;f ;P

tjpet
03-29-2005, 20:35
Originally posted by WFR
Thanks in advance!
WFR

It's the state with the most UFO babies.

WFR
03-30-2005, 06:43
Oh Boy!

SouthernGal
04-01-2005, 13:59
Originally posted by WFR
Thanks in advance!
WFR

sarge is right. You can do all that and more in AR. My ex-husband was from there and my parents own a second home on the White River in AR as well.

WFR
04-01-2005, 21:34
Anyone else?
Looks like I may be out there by Mid May.
What areas within 20-30 minutes drive of N. Little Rock would be reasonable to live in?
Any areas to avoid?
Thanks!

geminicricket
04-01-2005, 22:13
I spent one week in a resort north of LR called Fairfield Bay last year.

The Ozarks (north of LR) have several small towns with small-time economies. There's plenty of land for hunting, lakes for fishing, and the Arkansas Democrat Gazette is an excellent newspaper despite it's name. The headquarters of Wal-Mart are in the last town in the north-west corner of Arkanses. If you're looking to retire there, I don't see how you can go wrong. The said ADG newspaper had a "For Sale" ad for several days last June of a fellow wanting to sell an AK-47. Such a countryside can not be too bad. The politics tends to be old-time Democrats, conservatively devoted to the sugar tit, still worshipping FDR.

What I saw of land south and west of LR does not seem to be a place to want to be.

Oh, and everywhere you go you are reminded that Arkansas is the home of Bill Clinton. Beware, that can become quite annoying.

sarge
04-02-2005, 06:52
Originally posted by WFR
Anyone else?

PM sent.

bluemeanie
04-05-2005, 10:18
You won't see midwestern, farm-country-type monster bucks, but there are bruisers lurking. The turkey hunting is good where you're planning on settling. You're (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) less than two hours away from great trout fishing on the White River. Stuttgart and its famously crowded duck hunting is a weekend trip for you.

I would not elect to live in the LR area, but if you have little choice, you can get a feel for which areas to stay away from. And if you'r making a decent dollar, it'll go a long way there.

Take Care.

zeke501
04-05-2005, 20:05
I live west of Little Rock about 10 miles. I can tell you this if you work in N. Little Rock you might want to look at the cabot area. Better schools, less crime, and plenty of shopping. Also is about an hour away from the heber springs area. Plenty of camping, fishing and boating. Absolutely beautiful greers ferry lake. Their are a lot of good lakes, rivers in this state. Unfortunately we have the "Klintoon" legacy connected to our state, but we sent them to New York where they belong with "their kind"! We have ccw, and deer hunting is very big, elk hunting in northwest area. Most people who move here say once they are here for a while, they don't want to move back. The worst is the humidity in the summer! I came from Memphis and it is a lot easier to get around in Little Rock area than the bigger cities. Lots of pickups and suv's, just good ole arky's! Oh ya, our taxes will be a lot lower than where you are too! good luck!

WFR
04-08-2005, 19:57
Well. it's official, WFR is moving to Arkansas!
I'll be flying out next Thursday to look for a new place.
Then I'll be driving out by the end of the month.
I hear the fish are biting so I'm going to bring my canoe and a few St. Croix rods. And Beer of course!
I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably only be ther for 9 months to a year (retail management) but I want to see and do as much as I can!
Thansk for all your input and advice. Cabot is at the top of the list so far. I'll keep you GT'ers informed as I get moved.
Who wants to go shoot sometime later this summer?

el_jewapo
04-12-2005, 13:59
i think heber springs is only about 30-45 minutes from little rock. you can trout fish there. they have lakes too. or hot springs. you shouldn't have a hard time finding a place to wet a hook.

WFR
04-12-2005, 18:18
I'm stoked about going out there!
I'll be there this weekend to look for a place to live.
Anyone else have any input on things to see & do in the natural state?

WFR
04-20-2005, 07:09
Found a place in North Little Rock/Park Hill area.
Thanks for all the info and ideas.
We had a great time and look forward to moving out there.

Black Bart
04-20-2005, 11:42
Park Hill is a great area. Despite the Arkansas sterotype there are some of the best people in the world here. Arkansas has some great hunting, fishing, and some of the most beautiful places in the south. www.arkansas.gov (http://www.arkansas.gov) has some great info.

www (http://www.agfc.com) Arkansas game and fish website;f

BobRicks
04-23-2005, 08:52
Get up to Heber Springs and fish the Little Red River. World record brown trout was taken out of this river. I used to fish it twice a year. Would fish it more, but it is about 350 miles from where I live in Texas!

We always fished out of Lobo Landing marina. In the past they had good guides who would work their butts off to see that you caught fish. They always tried to put us on big fish, not babies. I think Lobo has been sold, and I have not been back to that area in 2-3 years, but am foaming at the mouth to get back up there and get in some quality fishing.

Have also heard good things about Lindsey's resort and Swinging Bridge resort.

AR-G23
04-26-2005, 10:09
WFR, welcome to God's country. The earlier posts about trout fishing are right on. I have been to the Swinging Bridge resort on the Little Red and it had quality fishing with quality accomodations. I just got back from trout fishing on the White River at a great resort called Jack's just outside of Mt. View, also great fishing.

Arkansas has great locations for just about any outdoor activity you can think of. We have great trout streams/rivers, lakes with big largemouth bass, giant striper, even pike, muskie, and walleye. The world record brown trout and walleye came out of Arkansas. You can catch tons of channel, blue, and flathead catfish in the Arkansas River that dissects the state. There are numerous small lakes all across the state that have good fishing, bream fishings is kind of a summer time requirement around here.

We have decent deer herds, some great turkey hunting, abundent small game, and Southern Arkansas is the "duck hunting capital of the world" but the rest of the state ain't too bad. There is elk hunting in Northwest Arkansas but very few permits are issued each year.

The mountains of the western portion of the state from north to south offer canoeing, hiking, mountain biking, backpacking, camping, hunting,fishing, birdwatching, etc. They are in the process of builing a very nice state park at the top of Mount Magazine which is known as the highest peak between the Rocky Mountains and the Appellations.

Living in central Arkansas will put you within about 3-4 hours of everything the state has to offer. Too bad you will probably only be an Arkansan for a year, that won't be nearly long enough to try half the stuff our great state has to offer.