new guitar player? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new guitar player?

Archangel
03-30-2005, 15:10
i am learning to play guitar and i am looking for the best instruction book or dvd to teach myself basic chords,etc. i bought larry littles' first book and dvd, should i stick with his courses or is there something better? i want to be a proficient rhythm player, no interest in lead as i am a singer and just want my group to have a fuller sound. any suggestions?

Soujurn
03-30-2005, 18:50
Hal Leonard has a ton of beginning and intermediate guitar DVD's...
http://www.halleonard.com/index.jsp

There are tons of internet sites to learn scales and chords and songs.

Figure out a little tab reading and you have access to thousands of songs on the 'Net.

http://hatbox.lib.virginia.edu/gtrchord/gtrchord/

http://www.olga.net/

rhikdavis
03-30-2005, 19:05
They say the F chord is a *****....but my money is on B minor...Dayumn....

84S
03-31-2005, 09:15
Originally posted by rhikdavis
They say the F chord is a *****....but my money is on B minor...Dayumn....

Barre chords my friend, Barre chords;)

pellertpale
03-31-2005, 13:28
Yeah, I would barre your Emaj for the F. Likewise for your Amin to Bmin.

Archangel
03-31-2005, 15:59
i just learned the F and F minor two weeks ago, did not think my fingers were going to be able to bend that way, they're 32 years old and are better trained for pistols! but once i got it, everything else has been easier by default. of course, i am just learning, i know it will get worse before it gets better. just got tired of everyone saying you should play and sing! yeah, let's ski and do our taxes at the same time. oh well, it is good to keep learning, keeps the old noodle sharp. thanks for the info everybody.

AggiePhil
03-31-2005, 16:31
For F, you can just use your index finger to press down the the E and B strings, then use your other three fingers for the other strings, and just leave out the top string (mute it with your thumb). Sounds just as good. And even if you leave out the high E string, that's fine too. I know players who remove their high E string completely.

Soujurn
04-01-2005, 16:50
The late great Tommy Tedesco had tons of tips and tricks for playing guitar parts.
He was a legend in the LA studio scene, and wrote a column for Guitar Player magazine for years.

He would say that many of the composers/producers he'd work for in the studios were not guitar players themselves, but rather came from piano or other instrument backgrounds (if they played anything at all), and would often write out near impossible to play guitar parts.
He said you didn't need to play all the notes they wrote out anyway, just hit the stuff that they could hear.

Tommy would play only the upper midrange and treble parts when faced with those parts, as he said, you weren't usually going to hear the lower registers in the mix anyway.
Unless it was a solo piece, then he said "You'd better have your chops together if you expect to get call backs."

Once a week, pick a chord from some jazz stuff, some really weird hard chord, with 9th's or 13th's etc... Learn it cold.
Then, throw it in in place of some easy major or minor chord, and everyone will go, "Oh wow, what was that???"

For a sample of his work...
He did the guitar for The Rockford Files.
Also, The Munsters and most of the 60's and 70's TV theme songs.