State Of Fear - a must read [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : State Of Fear - a must read

mwelch8404
03-30-2005, 22:08
State of Fear

I think that this book is a must read. Regardless of your opinion on global warming or other eco-doomsday theories, Crichton has published a great piece of fiction.

Read the book cover to cover. Crichton points out that he spent two years researching it, and that ALL of the "facts," graphs, charts, etc. are actual data, and not fiction.

I have long been a critic of "bad science," and Crichton makes a real effort to point out current and past theories that were bogus, even though accepted by the biggest majority.

This book is politically incorrect, but factually correct. That alone should make it worth the read.

Mark

WALTHERBILL
03-31-2005, 07:23
Thanks for the review. I was trying to decide whether or not to buy this book, and now I'm curious enough to stop by the bookstore this weekend!

Az Stealth
04-22-2005, 14:57
Although I completely agree with Crichton's views on global warning and other such enviro propaganda, I found "State of Fear" to be a Really Boring book. Too much dogma, and a slow moving, superficial plot.

Gatman
04-23-2005, 15:16
Whats the general idea behind the book? I am in college and don't have time to read much;) or go to the book store. I have to read boring text books. But I been itching for a good modern fiction book.

McGlockerson
04-28-2005, 12:21
Originally posted by mwelch8404
State of Fear

I think that this book is a must read. Regardless of your opinion on global warming or other eco-doomsday theories, Crichton has published a great piece of fiction.

Read the book cover to cover. Crichton points out that he spent two years researching it, and that ALL of the "facts," graphs, charts, etc. are actual data, and not fiction.

I have long been a critic of "bad science," and Crichton makes a real effort to point out current and past theories that were bogus, even though accepted by the biggest majority.

This book is politically incorrect, but factually correct. That alone should make it worth the read.

Mark

I don't see eye to eye with him on enviro stuff but for the most part it is a pretty good read. It is a bit slow but I am enjoying it.