Which major car company makes the fastest, or best all around speed demon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which major car company makes the fastest, or best all around speed demon?

emt1581
03-31-2005, 00:41
Chevy has the vet, ford has the mustang, pontiac has the GTO, subaru has the WRX, so on and so fourth....

Which car company, that any fool would recognize the name of (because souped up no-names don't count), makes the fastest STOCK model or the best all around vehicle with great speed?

Just curious because I've always thought the WRX was the king of the hill, but I'm guessing I'm wrong.

Pics wouldn't hurt either ;)

Thanks!

-Emt1581

ccw_bearcat
03-31-2005, 06:48
How about the Dodge Viper? or the Ford GT. The Ford GT goes 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and the Viper does it in 3.6 seconds.

Heck the Ferrari Enzo or a McLaren F1 LM would be considered "stock" if the owner did nothing to it.

Your question seems a bit broad. I'm kind of wondering how you thought a WRX would beat out a Vette or a Viper. Maybe on a on/off road Rally Race.

Perhaps you should place a $$$ cap on your question.

fnfalman
03-31-2005, 08:51
Whenever they put into production a working version, the Bugatti Veyron is supposedly capable of 248-mph. But right now the Ferrari Enzo is the king, I think.

As far as "all around", is that suppose to mean AWD? Then you'd have Lamborghini Murcielago, Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Turbo.

Then there is BMW M5 V-10 507-hp with traction control.

The WRX and its Sti cousin, along with the Evo, have one appealing feature: fairly cheap prices for all around performance. They're fast on the straight line, reasonably fast on a curve, can run off road rallies.

flyingn
03-31-2005, 11:04
WRX? King of the hill? huh?

Please tell me your kidding..

Frank

Originally posted by emt1581
Chevy has the vet, ford has the mustang, pontiac has the GTO, subaru has the WRX, so on and so fourth....

Which car company, that any fool would recognize the name of (because souped up no-names don't count), makes the fastest STOCK model or the best all around vehicle with great speed?

Just curious because I've always thought the WRX was the king of the hill, but I'm guessing I'm wrong.

Pics wouldn't hurt either ;)

Thanks!

-Emt1581

emt1581
03-31-2005, 11:22
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure the last one was all that constructive, but whatever.

To clarify things, I mentioned the WRX because it seemed like the best all around car with the greatest speed for the best price.

As far as the fastest factory stock car with a FIRMILIAR company, I was referring to the cars that each company showcases as their fast and sporty model, for lack of better terminology.

The GTO is (or was) Pontiac's as the Trans-Am was before the newest model of GTO came out. Subaru has the WRX which is the most souped up car out of their bunch as well.

Please tell me you all understand what I'm saying!

The problem I'm having is that EVERY company is now coming out with a newer model that no one has been firmiliarized with, just to say they are bigger and better than the next company.

Thanks

-Emt1581

arrowdriver
03-31-2005, 13:09
Best all around fast car. Mercedes SLR McLaren . Everyday car with a top speed well over 200 mph (supposedly). Hey you got to take comfort into the picture! WRX/STi/Evo are not very comfortable (in my book).

flyingn
03-31-2005, 14:31
I understand what you saying but I was just saying the the wrx is far from a supercar..

Frank

Rob1035
03-31-2005, 14:32
The Neon SRT4 stomps the WRX in everything but snow driving, and even then with proper tires they are close...

CZ-75A
03-31-2005, 15:09
Originally posted by Rob1035
The Neon SRT4 stomps the WRX in everything but snow driving, and even then with proper tires they are close...

Which one will end up in the junkyard first?

Kevin108
03-31-2005, 15:13
Wait on the new Mustang Cobra. It'll be the car to have. A modern classic. Something worth HUGE bucks later on.

Rob1035
03-31-2005, 15:29
Originally posted by CZ-75A
Which one will end up in the junkyard first?

good question, one will fall apart naturally, the other will be denied warranty for anything more than granny driving and filling it with gas...

nu2carry
03-31-2005, 16:14
Which is actually owned by Volkswagen. 248 MPH AWD 8.0 litre
Quad-turbo.

1.3 million bucks!

flyingn
03-31-2005, 16:48
LOL good one!!

Neons are not that bad. I had one in 95 and it went for years with NO problems till we sold it. Its still running at 150k miles..

good question, one will fall apart naturally, the other will be denied warranty for anything more than granny driving and filling it with gas...

Maxthemutt
03-31-2005, 20:58
I'd have to go with the Corvette, and not just because I want one.

gixxer11
04-01-2005, 14:18
A free car, any car, that moves under it's own power is the best for the money. It could be considered the "King of the Hill" as far as speed for money.;g

gixxer11
04-01-2005, 14:35
Just hook a trailer to it.

Rob1035
04-01-2005, 15:45
gixxer11:

I am very glad to find someone else who appreciates a REAL car....

gixxer11
04-01-2005, 22:58

Thank you very much, sir. A Porsche 962 set up for street use would pretty much do it for me. Why people try to make race cars from street cars, why not make a race car a street car? Makes sense if you want to go fast. You can find more info on these things @:

www.962lm.com

or (copy and paste)

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1994@$Dauer@$962%20LeMansx.html

As far as "any fool" recognizing it I would have to say a Ferrari or Lamborghini. I'm sure there are plenty of people would think that a Ford GT is a Ferrari or Lambo. There are alot of fools.

Ron3
04-05-2005, 20:43
"makes the fastest STOCK model or the best all around vehicle with great speed?"

The two most important performance auto questions:

-How fast do you wanna go?

-How much money do you have?

Ron3

(PS: I think the answers are:

-Faster than everyone else!

-Not near enough!)

jlw_84
04-05-2005, 21:31
I think some pretty quick daily drivers that I could comfortably drive year round could be either an WRX STi or Mitsu Evolution VIII.

A Neon? No Thanks.

2kBlackSleeper
04-15-2005, 21:39
My favorite was the ford f-150 SVT Lightning 99-04 zero to 60 in low fives. Quarter in 13's stock. Insurance was just as cheep as a 2wd f-150. I miss my baby, had to replace her for a family car. Mine was not stock. Low 12's, Gloss black, and best of all loud enuf to set off car alarms, but not so loud you could not talk in it.

All out favorite car is the F-40 and F-50

EZFLY80
04-16-2005, 17:19
Who cares if it goes over 200. When the hell are you going to be going over 200mph!? Get something that will go 160mph but get there REALLY REALLY fast.

CGuns
04-17-2005, 13:07
BEST ALL AROUND SPEED DEMON- Mercedes-Benz SL/CL 65 model.
12 cylinders, 6.5L BITURBO charged engine, displacement and forced induction is a powerful combination.
Easy to drive, highly comfortable, class and elegance rolled into one. Not as ostentatious as driving an Italian. Easier to drive well, too. The German cars look out for the driver, unlike the Italians.

Nate Goodman
04-18-2005, 10:15

fiveoboy01
04-20-2005, 23:49
Originally posted by gixxer11

Why people try to make race cars from street cars, why not make a race car a street car? Makes sense if you want to go fast.

Generally it's much cheaper to turn a street car into a race car.

Not that I wouldn't mind having that car, but I'd have more fun(and satisfaction) doing it myself.

epsylum
04-21-2005, 16:27
Originally posted by fiveoboy01
Generally it's much cheaper to turn a street car into a race car.

Not that I wouldn't mind having that car, but I'd have more fun(and satisfaction) doing it myself.

Well, when you get into that kind of cars class, no it isn't. The Dauer 962 is a tad over a million bucks. Even an Enzo, McLaren F1, Porsche Carrera GT, Porsche 911 GT1, Modded Koenig twin turbo F-50, etc (all pretty much in the Dauer's price range), would be hard pressed to stay with an ex-IMSA car turned street car. The friggin thing does over 250mph, 0-60 in UNDER 3 sec, holds OVER 2 G's in the corners, and can lap the Nurburgring in low the 6 min region. I don't care what it is, no street car can do that without spending insane amounts of money on it.

fiveoboy01
04-21-2005, 23:46
True true.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm more from the straight-line side of the fence, I guess that's more what I was referring to.

Cali-Glock
04-27-2005, 15:49

Thank you very much, sir. A Porsche 962 set up for street use would pretty much do it for me. Why people try to make race cars from street cars, why not make a race car a street car? Makes sense if you want to go fast. You can find more info on these things @:

www.962lm.com

or (copy and paste)

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1994@$Dauer@$962%20LeMansx.html

As far as "any fool" recognizing it I would have to say a Ferrari or Lamborghini. I'm sure there are plenty of people would think that a Ford GT is a Ferrari or Lambo. There are alot of fools.

I have always been a Porsche man - but I had no idea there was a street legal 962! :drool: :drool: :drool: ^7 ;W

epsylum
04-27-2005, 17:32
Originally posted by Cali-Glock
I have always been a Porsche man - but I had no idea there was a street legal 962! :drool: :drool: :drool: ^7 ;W

There have acually been a few different companies that do this. Dauer, Schuppan (sp?), Koenig. I have even seen on the net, real ex-Lemans 962s that have been converted for street, Sponsor graphics, number plate, and all. they even came with all the history and such for the car. But it is now street legal. They truely are a race car with a license plate tacked on.

SWEET.

Rob1035
04-27-2005, 17:53
The Dauer 962 was the fastest of the Sultan of Brunai(sp?)'s ~8000 cars...

epsylum
04-27-2005, 18:09
The Dauer 962 was the fastest of the Sultan of Brunai(sp?)'s ~8000 cars...

I am willing to bet it is the fastest car that can legally have a plate attached to it.

I'm tellin ya, If I EVER win the lottery/hit it big in Vegas/score big with some huge lawsuit/randomly find a couple million dollars on the street, the Dauer would be one of the first cars I buy.

Imagine.
some guy: "I have a McLaren F1, it's the fastest car on the road."
you: "That's nice, and no it isn't"
some guy: "Yeah it is, I bet you don't have anything faster"
you: "How much are ya willing to bet?"

;f

Rob1035
04-27-2005, 18:18
although honestly, I'd rather have a Ruf CTR2 Sport geared to about 175mph....[relatively] low top end, but damn would it get up there quick, much more fun imho

epsylum
04-27-2005, 21:04
although honestly, I'd rather have a Ruf CTR2 Sport geared to about 175mph....[relatively] low top end, but damn would it get up there quick, much more fun imho

If I were to go RUF, I'd get the Yellowbird. That car is as badass today as it was in '88.

But, honestly. I'll never be able to have one. I buy too many damn guns.;f

flyingn
04-28-2005, 04:47
you guys think they are fast? Not even close.. How about 0-188 mph in 7.25 seconds? From a 6 cylinder Buick engine.. :)And he actually drives it on the street from time to time:)
good ol AMERICAN horsepower!!
Heres the vid.

http://www.anderson-performance.com/Racecar%20Video%2011-24-04.wmv

epsylum
04-28-2005, 07:11
Originally posted by flyingn
you guys think they are fast? Not even close.. How about 0-188 mph in 7.25 seconds? From a 6 cylinder Buick engine.. :)And he actually drives it on the street from time to time:)
good ol AMERICAN horsepower!!
Heres the vid.

http://www.anderson-performance.com/Racecar%20Video%2011-24-04.wmv

Not saying that's not cool ( I do like grand nationals), but comparing a buick to a porsche 962 `l `l

Why don't you compare a Kia to and F-1 car while you are at it.

On a drag strip sure, the buick will probably edge it out (not by much). On a road corse, the 962 will lap it about every 4 laps. The 962 has won LeMans 24 hours about 6 or 7 times IIRC, the grand national (of any kind)... none. The 962 can lap the nurbergring in the low 6 minute range, I don't think a grand national has even touched that track.

BTW the 962 is a 6 cylinder too.;) And it can run at full throttle for 24 hours non-stop (proven by it's LeMans victories). The Buick would blow up about 3 hours in.

flyingn
04-28-2005, 08:54
LOL edge it out????!! I GUARANTEE the 962 is a 10-11 second car on the quarter mile AT BEST>> Thats NOT EVEN CLOSE in drag racing time bub.. Do you HONESTLY think a 962 will do 0-188 mph in 7 seconds????

Each car was designed to do a certain thing. The 962 is a turning track car and Bills GN is a non turning track car. Either will kill th eother when it comes to what they were designed to do..Im pointing out the fact that a 962 is NOT a cure all when it comes to speed.

epsylum
04-28-2005, 11:09
LOL edge it out????!! I GUARANTEE the 962 is a 10-11 second car on the quarter mile AT BEST>> Thats NOT EVEN CLOSE in drag racing time bub.. Do you HONESTLY think a 962 will do 0-188 mph in 7 seconds????

Each car was designed to do a certain thing. The 962 is a turning track car and Bills GN is a non turning track car. Either will kill th eother when it comes to what they were designed to do..Im pointing out the fact that a 962 is NOT a cure all when it comes to speed.

Hmmm, I wonder what that buick can do in the 1/2 mile, what about the 1 mile. I bet it can't hit over 250mph, even if it did the horrible aerodynamics of the buick would probably make it take off at that speed. He better hope there are no bends on that road too. I also bet he can't keep that thing running for 24 hours straight.

Sure you can take anything and make it haul in a straight line (I have seen a dodge caravan run a 10 sec quarter) for less money than making a complete package.

If you wanna do that, I have seen a STREET LEGAL bike (dot tires, starter, blinkers, plate, headlight, based on a bike you can buy at a dealership, no wheelie bar, etc.) run a 7.01 @200mph. It was at Indy prostar last year. I bet the bike was a lot cheaper than the national. not to mention it's a 1.3 liter engine making over 650hp and weighs less than 700lbs (the whole bike).

www.velocityracing.com

edited to add pic of bike (they set the record at 7.25, records have to backed up by a second run within 10%, the run I saw wasn't backed up so it's not the record)

http://www.velocityracing.com/gallery/newphotos_gallery/page13.jpg

fiveoboy01
04-28-2005, 12:56
OK, don't take this personally, but these kind of arguments irritate me so I'm going to pick it apart:)

Originally posted by epsylum
Hmmm, I wonder what that buick can do in the 1/2 mile, what about the 1 mile.

I'm not aware of any 1/2 mile or 1 mile drag strips. It isn't designed to run 2640 or 5280 feet. It's designed for running as fast as possible from 0-1320 feet. Turning your argument around on you, what can the Porsche run in the 1/4?? I can guarantee it's not in the 7 second zone, probably not even in the 8 second zone.

I bet it can't hit over 250mph, even if it did the horrible aerodynamics of the buick would probably make it take off at that speed.

Again, not designed to do that. Apples and oranges here.

He better hope there are no bends on that road too.

See above.

I also bet he can't keep that thing running for 24 hours straight.

See above.

Sure you can take anything and make it haul in a straight line (I have seen a dodge caravan run a 10 sec quarter) for less money than making a complete package.

Sure, but I think you underestimate what it costs to build a competitive class drag car. I put about 30K into my car over the winter of 2002 building it for a specific class with a tight set of rules. If you want to be competitive, every single part has to be the best you can buy, period. And this was a class where the top qualifiers were running the 9.60-9.90 ET range. A Mustang for the Super Street Outlaw class(7.30-7.50 ETs at 185++ mph) car will run upwards of 100-150 thousand dollars, not counting spare parts and regular maintenance parts that get replaced whether they break or not.

Straight line or road racing, you're going to pay if you want to be competitive as a general rule.

If you wanna do that, I have seen a STREET LEGAL bike (dot tires, starter, blinkers, plate, headlight, based on a bike you can buy at a dealership, no wheelie bar, etc.) run a 7.01 @200mph. It was at Indy prostar last year. I bet the bike was a lot cheaper than the national. not to mention it's a 1.3 liter engine making over 650hp and weighs less than 700lbs (the whole bike).

Bikes are cool and all, but it's sort of pointless comparing them to a car. If you want an argument to the HP/liter discussion(which by the way is a dumb argument), NHRA's Top Fuel/Funny Car engines have everything beat.

Road racing and drag racing are two different things. Both are cool. I love watching F1 racing, especially the in-cockpit cams and just seeing how blindingly fast those cars are. I also love watching a drag car hook like mad and drag the bumper 300 feet or more down the track. A car that excels at one won't do so well at the other. You can have a car that will do both, but it will be giving up some performance in one arena or another.

epsylum
04-28-2005, 13:34
you guys think they are fast? Not even close..

That's the part that irritated me.

I know it's apples to oranges, so why make that statement? So using that logic why compare a grand national to a 962? That was my point.

Then bike thing. It has nothing to do with hp/liter. It has to do with it is the quickest (in a quarter mile) vehicle that can legally be driven on the road (that I know of). That's all. It makes more sense comparing that to a drag prepped GNX than a GNX to a 962. That's why I changed my subject for comparison.

This is so way off topic it isn't even funny. The topic as about fast STOCK cars. That Buick is NOWHERE near stock so it was completely out there and off topic.

BTW Rod Millen's Pikes peak toyota tacoma (if you can call it that) run's 8s in complete pike's peak trim (knobbies and all). It's not even meant to do 1/4 mile runs.

Off topic, but it makes you think.

edited to add:

also last time I checked this wasn't about the fastest car in a 1/4 mile, it was about over all. The GNX only has 1/4 speed, so obviosuly, it isn't the winner.

flyingn
04-28-2005, 18:43
thank you fiveoboy1.. could not have said it better. These guys have no clue about drag racing.... Its the ONLY automotive racing that an average guy (or gal) can participate in with their own car on a real santioned track..

Frank

Rob1035
04-28-2005, 18:56
drag racing.... Its the ONLY automotive racing that an average guy (or gal) can participate in with their own car on a real santioned track..

Frank

;z

sorry bub, but your wrong like Donkey Kong...ever heard of autocross, Solo I & II, SCCA club racing, BMW CCA club racing, Porsche Club of America Club racing, etc etc etc...and that's just true timed competition. There are hundreds of driver's schools every year around the nation where anyone can take their own personal car out on real race tracks, not strips.

The old road race vs. straight line contest is still alive and kicking I see..

epsylum
04-28-2005, 23:16
thank you fiveoboy1.. could not have said it better. These guys have no clue about drag racing.... Its the ONLY automotive racing that an average guy (or gal) can participate in with their own car on a real santioned track..

Frank

Funny, I LIVE accross the street from Indianapolis Raceway Park, about 1 mile away from Vance and Hines (my brother worked for them), Tony Shumacher, and John Force's race shops in Brownsburg, IN. I wake up on Sat and Sun during the warm months hearing (make that feeling) NHRA Top Fuel and Funny cars. Also my neighborhood is adjacent to Bruce Litton trailor sales (as in IHRA Top Fuel driver/owner Bruce Litton).

But, I guess I have no clue about drag racing.

What NHRA championship winning drag racing team did you or anyone you know work for?

Your still comparing a Buick to a Porsche. There is NO comparison. One is a piece of racing history, the other is a Buick.

fiveoboy01
04-29-2005, 00:09
Originally posted by epsylum
That's the part that irritated me.

I wouldn't have come off that way either. I know that you're aware of the various types of motorsports. I like most of em, that's for sure. I prefer the drag racing thing, but completely understand anyone else's passion for other types of racing.

I agree about the SCCA thing - though it isn't as widely-participated in(by the amateur) as drag racing. My uncle in Virginia races a Miata in some SCCA class, and occasionally sends me pictures. The thing is lightly modded as far as the engine and drivetrain, but is stripped inside with a full cage. Looks like a damn hoot to me.

For my co-worker's bachelor party, about 15 of us are going to Sugar River Raceway here in WI(forget what town it's in). It's pretty steep at 100 bucks but you get to race real shifter karts(I am sure you are familliar with them), not some puss man's 5 HP go-kart. I'm really excited about it, this will be my first "road race" experience.

epsylum
04-29-2005, 07:15
For my co-worker's bachelor party, about 15 of us are going to Sugar River Raceway here in WI(forget what town it's in). It's pretty steep at 100 bucks but you get to race real shifter karts(I am sure you are familliar with them), not some puss man's 5 HP go-kart. I'm really excited about it, this will be my first "road race" experience.

That's where all the big name drivers get thier start. My brother's old boss used to race 125cc shifter cars (that and motocross). He said if geared properly for a certain track they can get up to about 130 mph+.

flyingn
04-29-2005, 16:53
solo 1 and 2 racing is parking lot racing. Been there done that years ago.. I said on a REAL track..
The other racing is not geared for th elittle guy. Once in a while uyou can get lucky and get to race at at a track but its a once in a few month thing, right? Im saying drag racing you can take youe every day driver to the track any weekend and for $10 your racing:)

;z

sorry bub, but your wrong like Donkey Kong...ever heard of autocross, Solo I & II, SCCA club racing, BMW CCA club racing, Porsche Club of America Club racing, etc etc etc...and that's just true timed competition. There are hundreds of driver's schools every year around the nation where anyone can take their own personal car out on real race tracks, not strips.

The old road race vs. straight line contest is still alive and kicking I see..

flyingn
04-29-2005, 16:59
actually I know and have a family members at no less then 2 pro teams (no real big names tho)

If you think the TR world is just a Buick.. then you ARE clueless. There is a quite a BIG following and 3 REALLY dig Buick racing weeksat various tracks around the us.. Buick racers come from all over the WORLD to compete.. If yu don't know what you talking about, don't write things that have no merit.

Besides how many real people do YOU know whith race car Porsches?? I betcha I know a WHOLE lot more Buick racers...

What NHRA championship winning drag racing team did you or anyone you know work for?

Your still comparing a Buick to a Porsche. There is NO comparison. One is a piece of racing history, the other is a Buick. [/B][/QUOTE] ;Q

flyingn
04-29-2005, 17:00
wow! sounds like big time fun!! Id love to do something like thast.. too cool:)

Frank

I wouldn't have come off that way either. I know that you're aware of the various types of motorsports. I like most of em, that's for sure. I prefer the drag racing thing, but completely understand anyone else's passion for other types of racing.

I agree about the SCCA thing - though it isn't as widely-participated in(by the amateur) as drag racing. My uncle in Virginia races a Miata in some SCCA class, and occasionally sends me pictures. The thing is lightly modded as far as the engine and drivetrain, but is stripped inside with a full cage. Looks like a damn hoot to me.

epsylum
04-29-2005, 17:42
If yu don't know what you talking about, don't write things that have no merit.

Okay it's a modified Buick. If I mod my grand mother's Cutlass Ciera S can I join? I mean that car is just sooooo awesome. The front end feels like it's attached with rubber bands.

Besides how many real people do YOU know whith race car Porsches?? I betcha I know a WHOLE lot more Buick racers...

Cool! Can I touch you! You're so friggin awesome. I mean people who race Buicks, WOW!

As you can tell I have given up arguing with you since you obviously have no clue how dumb you sound. Again. Porsche vs. Buick.

BTW I think I can make a John Deere run a 7 sec quarter if I put as much time, money, and effort as that guy did to his Buick. But it, like the Buick, will never be able to hang with a 962 in ANYTHING other than the 1/4 mile.

flyingn
04-29-2005, 18:43
LOL every time you post, your look dumber and dumber!!! LOLOL

Im not even gonna post anymore.. How old are you??

You are reading Road & Track too much Son..

Are they doing a 7 second John Deere project this month!! ROTFLMAO

gixxer11
04-29-2005, 19:34
Why is it that everytime someone mentions a car that is really cool, someone else has to try and slam it? Then we get into some pissing match over which is better. The topic of this forum is retarded, and is entirely too vague to even answer. The 962 IMO is the sweetest car I've ever seen. The people that own them are not worrying about the monthly payments for it. To them, it costs less than a Kia costs to you or I. Regardless, it is an ultimate machine that takes supercars to the next level. I'm not jumping into this argument, but just for info, it runs low 9s in the quarter with 35 series tires and gearing for 250mph+. That is impressive. A 962 is one of the most accomplished racing cars of all time. That is a huge feat. Having one to drive on the street, WOW! GNX's are very cool, too. I really dig them. There are some real fast ones around here. Lots of respect for them, just like I have for anything that TRULY performs, but comparing the 2 is stupid. So who ever brought the Buick into the conversation with the quote (say it outloud in your best idiotic voice) "So you think that's fast" just let me know of your intellegence level. Thanks, 'cause I was curious.

Stone Guy
05-05-2005, 23:35
I like this car, its fast and it mine. Well, it's the wife's.

fiveoboy01
05-06-2005, 00:13
The topic of this forum is retarded, and is entirely too vague to even answer.

I was going to say that a while back.

The question has a million answers, it's just not specific enough.