Guard your nuts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guard your nuts

Stop CPR
04-01-2005, 23:14
"Just last Saturday I was motoring my boat into a small cave that looked like a most inviting spot. As I pulled in I noticed a rock protruding through the surface of the water. On the rock was a walnut. Nearby, on the shore, a squirrel had climbed out onto a branch of a large maple tree attempting to gain access to the rock and the walnut.
As the squirrel moved further out over the water, the branch began to bend, looking like it would afford the squirrel a perfect avenue to the rock. Surely enough, with a small hop the squirrel landed squarely on the small rock. Grasping his prize, he turned to make the return trip on the branch.
Having been relieved of the squirrel's weight, the branch rebounded back to its original position several feet from the rock. The branch was easily out of the squirrel's reach. After sizing up the situation a bit, the squirrel backed up a few steps and made an attempt to jump up to the branch. Stretching as for as possible, it was all the squirrel could do to barely contact the branch with one of his front feet. Needless to say, the squirrel was not able to hold onto the branch and fell into the water.
Just as the squirrel hit the water, the place erupted like a depth charge had gone off. In all the excitement and through all the water and spray, I could make out a combination of fur and fish. Then, with a flick of the tail, both were gone.
I immediately poured through my flies looking for something big enough to imitate that squirrel. Maybe this big brown streamer would work. Or how about that mouse imitation? I ended up throwing first the mouse then the big streamer all around that rock, under the tree branches and most every other place I could think of. I must have worked that spot for over an hour with not one stinking bite.
Realizing that I was skunked once again, I packed up my gear and began to slowly head the boat back to the dock. Hearing a splash behind me just as I was getting under way, I turned once again to look in the direction of the rock. And I'll be damned if I didn't see that fish putting the walnut back onto the rock."