EMS Classes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EMS Classes

RayDog
04-02-2005, 15:17
Hey guys I'm looking into taking the EMT course out here in Fort Collins CO.
So far It looks like Front Range Community College has a good course. 10 weeks 4 nights a week plus clinical stuff.
Then there's Thompson Valley EMS Education. 3 nights a week for 11 weeks or so and they run their own ambulance company so you do the clinicals all with them.

I'm just trying to get some feedback on either of these programs. So if any of you know something about them please let me know

Thanks

RayDog

lomfs24
04-02-2005, 22:35
Sorry I don't know anything about either of them. A question back at you. Why are you going to do it? Are you just doing it because you can or because you want to do it as a career? If you are just going to do it then I would go with the one that fits your schedule and pocket book the best. If you are doing it for a career would you be able to work for the ambulance service once you were licensed? If so I would go with them because you would be used to working with everyone by the time you got out of class.

Just my 2 cents.

RayDog
04-02-2005, 23:56
I'm doing it because I think it's good stuff to know. The cost is within a couple hundered bucks of each other. I just want to go with the better program, but I don't know whick one that is

hotpig
04-03-2005, 09:25
It may differ from area to area. In my area the Community Collage EMT's have ten hours of ER observation time. Many never see an Ambulance until they start working.

My Hospital EMS System requires twenty four hours clinical time per month. It used to be 48 per month but people complained too much.The students check the Ambulance at the start of the shift with the Medic. They assist in ER under the medic or RN. They write their own Ambulance report minus the patients name. The report is reviewed by the Instructor for QA and exciting ones are presented in class.

The System trained EMT's can be put to work with minimal orientation after the License arrived. The Collage EMT's are only hired if we are desperate for a licensed body to drive the Medic around. They require lots of orientation time compared to out Basics than can start work almost immediately.

lomfs24
04-03-2005, 09:27
In that case, I would say that the Community College would probably have the better "from the book" class where the ambulance service would have follow the National Registry curiculum but would have a lot of real life flavor mixed in.

Both would have to follow a curiclum and you would, in the end, learn the same stuff.

TerraMedicX
04-03-2005, 13:48
Ray,

I don't know specifically about the FRCC classes in Ft. Collins, but the ones down in Boulder County (Longmont) are good. TVEMS runs an excellent education department!! They will teach you a LOT!! Now, I must warn you that I'm a little biased since I'm a medic for TVEMS, but I have worked a number of places on the Front Range and have experience with a number of EMS education systems.
In short, either program will give you the same book information and will get you your NREMT and state certificate (for everyone else out there, Colorado is still using a certification and not a licensure system, but we're working on moving to licensure). TVEMS will give you a better field experience, but I would guess that FRCC does their ED clinicals at PVH which is a better hospital than McKeey where TVEMS does theirs. So depending on what you find more interesting, that could effect your decision.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

Nate.