Weapons Training [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Training

Hesparus
04-02-2005, 17:58
I figure it is an appropriate assumption to make that everyone here practices with some kind of weapon or another - this is, after all, glocktalk.
So I'm wondering what weapons you train with (or wished you trained with) and why do you feel they are appropriate choices for self defense in modern society?
I'll save my response for later.

- Chris

ChuteTheMall
04-02-2005, 20:39
Other than firearms:

Primarily Spyderco Delica and/or Endura, and a Delica drone for force-on-force sparring, since this is something I always carry. There are bigger, badder knives, but these are the ones that get carried.

Secondarily a common crook-top cane, but I don't carry it often enough.

Sometimes I mess around with other stuff, like my Spetznez shovel which is kept handy in my Jeep.

I used to practice with a machete I kept there, but it's become politically incorrect since area gangbangers have been using them, so now it stays at home with most of my weapons.

Oh yeah, sometimes I attack targets with a ballpoint pen, usually on a whim. Keating's Drawpoint system works with this.
;f

Things I wish I trained with include flexible weapons like bandanna, belt, necktie, chain, rope. And OC spray, I've played around with it but can't say I've seriously trained with it; it's too bulky for me to consistently carry, unlike my Spydercos and pens.

thetoastmaster
04-02-2005, 22:25
Short stick, cane, knife, koppo, steel pen.

grenadier
04-02-2005, 22:41
Bo, jo, hanbo, escrima. Somewhat practical, as there are plenty of broomsticks, dowels, and other various lengths of wood laying around.

As for other weapons, though, I also train in katana, bokken, and sai. While not nearly as practical (in terms of carrying) as the more innocuous-looking weapons above, I still enjoy the training, and especially enjoy practicing tameshigiri with my katana.

Joshua M. Smith
04-03-2005, 23:13
Escrima, knife, sword, bo, jo, keys, Maglite (2 cell and mini), and the Zippo lighter, off the top of my head.

I lost my cane. Gotta find a new one.

Josh <><

kerwin
04-04-2005, 00:53
i practice with a kamagong stick and a balisong.

Hesparus
04-05-2005, 07:42
I guess it's my turn.

Like most people, I have dabbled in lots of weapons. Some of them I'm pretty bad at, like the half staff or the knife, others I'm pretty good at, like the quarter staff and yari. The thing that most of them have in common, however, is that they are useless in today's society (most notably the yari or the long sword). I realize that they all teach us different things that are otherwise useful (eye-hand coordination, reflexes, ma'ai, etc.) but I think we can get these things in other places. I also realize that, usefulness aside, a lot of these weapons are very fun to train with - martial arts doesn't have to be all serious. I mean, if you're real good with nunchaku or a chain whip I'll think you're real cool.
Somewhere along the line it occured to me that the weapons I was good at didn't do me any good. We think to ourselves that the jo staff, for example, is useful because there will always be some kind of stick around that we could grab. I don't know what luck you may have, but I have almost never seen anything within an arm's reach that could be used as a jo staff, and certainly never when I was in a place I thought I might have to use one. Even out in the woods, where I live, it is rare to see a fallen branch that would make a good weapon in a hurry. In any case, I certainly wouldn't want to have to rely on a found weapon if I ever needed one - I mean, would you go to a gun fight unarmed expecting to pick one up on the way?
Anyway, I think I'm preaching to the choir. After some thinking, I decided that there are three weapons that are primarily suitable for every-day self defense (there are several more that are suitable for home defense or other special situations): the handgun, the knife, and the cane (I train with a straight one as a matter of preference). Now, in a fight I would rather have a jo than a cane but we can't always carry around a jo. Everyone can carry a cane as a fashion statement and some of us out of necessity. A knife is a little trickier to use but it can be carried more easily than a cane. A handgun cannot be carried everywhere but it trumps a knife until the magazine empties.
For the past year, now, I have been training more extensively in these three weapons. I'm still pretty bad with a knife and I don't own a gun yet, but I'm quite good with a cane. I have found the things that were missing, and I still have fun with my yari.

- Chris

mhill
04-05-2005, 12:03
Besides my Glock of course.

I dabbled in a lot of stuff. I got good with the Samurai Sword, and Nunchaku. I played with the staff for a while.

Since I figured these are all very impractical weapons I've quit working with them. My style required me to test with one weapon for my black belt so I used the Samurai Sword. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It was really just a love of the art and a fondness for the beauty of a sword that got me into it.

mhill

TED
04-05-2005, 20:46
I do not have any non firearms weapon training to speak of. However, I will say this, based upon my admittedly limited experience but deep thought on the matter I would say that the most useful or practical non-firearm weapons to train with are (in no special order)...

Knife
Stick
Staff
Cane
Kubotan

With the exception of the knife, these are all things that can be readily improvised and made yourself. They, including the knife are also rather ubiquitous. Many of the techniques for the above weapons also overalp, making training somewhat more simplified within this group.

I have not given much thought to flexible improvised weapons and do not know anything about them currently. However, they may merit further investigation.

On the more exotic side, I would love to learn archery, just because. I would also like to learn the spear and the the tomahawk. However it is astronomically remote that I will ever do so. Practical over cool every time for me.

TED

Brian@ITC
04-06-2005, 00:12
I train with just about every weapon imaginable. However, the toughest weapon to truly master is the sword! Until about a month or so ago I never had the experience of cutting with a live blade. Man was that COOL! But was it ever scary! I mean, knowing that you have a 3 foot razor blade in your hand and making the wrong move could cost you a limb... WOW! We cut tatame mats soaked in water and I did very well for my first time! Cutting PROPERLY with a sword takes proper body movement and timing! After watching movies like Kill Bill and other movies in the past, most of those people would have cut themselves to shreads with their poor movements!

icantpick
04-06-2005, 18:04
I don't know that many but I would like to learn European spear, Japanese Bo staff, some sort of 3 foot stick art, shooting (well), and maybe arnis as I am part Filipino. I think all of this would be useful for self defence (maybe not spear but hey).

sensei
04-07-2005, 22:07
Traditional Isshinryu teaches; Bo, Sai & Tonfa.

I also teach: Knife and Cane.

We play around with sticks, nunchucks, and anything else we can think of.

All of my students are welcome to come to the range and shoot guns or bows with me and the group anytime. Some do, some don't.

sensei