2nd and 3rd Turkey [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2nd and 3rd Turkey

TexAg
04-02-2005, 17:20
So I shot my first Turkey last year, this morning we go out to our lease and my Dad and I get out and my brother goes on with the truck to his spot. We set up our decoys and my Dad gets to calling; about 5 min. later I see a tom working his way toward us. He makes a bee-line to the decoys all puffed up and stops about 21 paces from me, and stares at the decoys. BOOM, down he goes. So 10 minutes into the hunt and I've got one. Now what? We don't have the truck and we haven't heard my brother shoot so we sit back down and call some more since we hear them gobbling all over the place. Sure enough 15-20 min. later we see three toms working around us at about 50 yards, but I don't shoot becasue I wanted to watch them and just see what they were going to do. They kind of wondered off, but about 30 min. later another tom comes sneaking in toward the decoys again all puffed up; I figure I'll take the longer shot this time (41 paces) and BOOM, down he goes. TWO Turkeys in one hour! Both with about 8" beards. Shooting my Grandfather's Winchester Model 1912 pump with Winchester 2&3/4" #4s. Worked like a charm.
Great hunt!

txgolfer45
04-02-2005, 17:43
Congrats on your two gobblers.

Scott

lomfs24
04-02-2005, 22:46
[$

TexAg
04-03-2005, 15:48
lol, I know! Sadly we forgot to take a camera out there and I cleaned them there. I really would have loved a pic of me holding both of them up! I can take a pic of the beards for you though, or of the butcher paper wrapped bodies in the freezer!
Next time my Dad wants to take the video camera and tape it all since you could hear and see so many for that hour we were there; it would make for an exciting tape.

noway
04-04-2005, 08:01
congrats and a good job. 2 turkeys in one day is not too bad of work.

TexAg
04-04-2005, 20:53
Here they both are. More like 9" I guess ;f :cool:

lomfs24
04-04-2005, 21:21
Nice, those are some nice beards. Good job. I haven't been turkey hunting in a few years cause the guy that I hunted with moved away. But he just moved back so we may have to venture out again this year.

Michigun
04-06-2005, 05:26
Man... we're still stuck at 1 gobbler per spring here in MI... ;Q

FYI, the beard pictured on top looks like it would be more like 9.5 to 10 inches stretched out… even only if 1 single strand is 10 inches long, & the rest are no longer then 6 inches, it still counts as a 10 incher. ^c

(A few years back a guy took a “record book” gobbler just a ˝ mile from me… most of the beard was no longer then 9 inches, but 1 single strand was nearly 16 inches long! ;P)

Roger C
04-08-2005, 08:22
You guys are making me jealous! Spring season opens up for VA this weekend, hoping to get out there and bag one.

Michigun
04-08-2005, 12:54
Originally posted by Roger C
Spring season opens up for VA this weekend...

May 2nd here...

TexAg
04-08-2005, 15:12
Originally posted by Michigun
Man... we're still stuck at 1 gobbler per spring here in MI... ;Q

FYI, the beard pictured on top looks like it would be more like 9.5 to 10 inches stretched out… even only if 1 single strand is 10 inches long, & the rest are no longer then 6 inches, it still counts as a 10 incher. ^c

(A few years back a guy took a “record book” gobbler just a ˝ mile from me… most of the beard was no longer then 9 inches, but 1 single strand was nearly 16 inches long! ;P)

Good to know, thanks!
We are hunting in a 4 Turkey county, but it is also only a one buck county, so you probably have us there. There aren't a ton of deer on the place but it is crawling with Turkey. Our season ends May 8th.

Michigun
04-08-2005, 17:44
Yeah, we get 2 buck tags per all of our whitetail season... bow, gun, muzzleloading & late bow, you can use them how you want. One of the buck tags is a “restricted” tag however.

duncan
04-09-2005, 18:50
In Washington, we can claim (3) a year but one of them has to be a good 300 miles away on the other end of the state.

It's become so popular here that you are lucky to bag you one a season!

Hope to venture out myself the second week of the season!

duncan
04-09-2005, 18:51
Congrats on two gobblers too!