What happened to my VA benefits [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my VA benefits

sk65
04-02-2005, 20:28
A few months back, I was laid off and needed to see a doctor. So I being a veteran of Desert Storm and honorably discharged, I assumed I could go to my local VA hospital for treatment. But they said since I made more than $33,000 and changeyear that I could not qualify for treatment.
I thought when I got out of the military that the VA would be there for me if I needed them. Right now I feel like I got screwed, or did I misunderstand what benefits I could get for serving my country.
Can anyone give me some info that would help me with this issue?

eisman
04-03-2005, 20:54
Have you talked to the VA (outside of the hospital)?

Daver308
04-04-2005, 12:40
It is my understanding that unless you were disabled on duty, the VA hospital is only for hardship or emergency cases.

sk65
04-04-2005, 19:24
Thanks for the reply, I have not talked to anyone outside of the VA. I am just disappointed that I did not qualify during what I thought was hardship. Being unemployed with a family and no health insurance was not enough I guess.

Daver308
04-05-2005, 06:02
Sorry to hear this, in some areas the VFW may be able to help, or to point you to someone who can. Hope everything turns out OK.

PeaceKeeper
04-07-2005, 00:00
What about CHAMPUS? I have not used anything like that for so long I don't even know if it is still around.

jerryd
04-07-2005, 07:27
Seems like they didnt tell you everything, if you make a certain amount your services are pro rated for copay! Also they can bill your ins. company at a lesser rate than a local hospital. I would call the district office and speak to a rep. there. Also you dont mention if you registered with them and what classification they gave you, but give the district office a call, they can be a pita, im stil in the process of an AO claim, good luck!!!

ibontop
04-11-2005, 19:57
took me over 2 yrs after the Storm to get eligibilty confirmed for VA medical benefits.

Major frustration. I can go there now, with a copay, and meds are copay, I forget my classification, but is is pretty crappy as far as coverage goes, but way better than nothing.

I understand, however, that qualification has changed in past few y rs. Harder to get approved. Can be eligible for VA benefits on the 214, but not medical at VA hospital. I would contact your local VA office and start paperwork at the very least.

GlocknAK
04-12-2005, 10:17
A month or so ago I read about a MOH recipient that had been denied coverage because he hadn't signed the paperwork. He was healthy when he was younger and never really thought much about it. Many years later (WW2 vet I think), and in need of major surgery he has been told to take a hike.

Gotta love the way our country will always look after us right? I know this is wrong, but I could maybe even see your "average" Joe having to jump trough hoops to get things straightened out (just so long as the VA did fix it). I just can't believe they wouldn't fall all over themselves to help a MOH recipient.

Go figure... Good luck sk65

Azwanderer
05-01-2005, 05:35
Unfortunatly I have had many dealings with the VA Hospital system. Yes it seems you have to plan in advance to get sick or whatever. What I learned was when ever I move I go and right away register with the VA so when't it's needed I'm in their system. But honestly if you have insurance or can afford it go to a civilian hospital first.I've seen some good VA hospitals, then I have seen some bad ones. Outdated equipment, *****y staff etc. I'm rated at 65% and low income so I have no copays and with no private insurance I make do with them. But it takes patience and alot of frustration the first time to get registered. Oh and another thing is when I go the older vets always ask me if I'm there to visit my dad! lol

GMAN40
05-17-2005, 06:29
Originally posted by sk65
A few months back, I was laid off and needed to see a doctor. So I being a veteran of Desert Storm and honorably discharged, I assumed I could go to my local VA hospital for treatment. But they said since I made more than $33,000 and changeyear that I could not qualify for treatment.
I thought when I got out of the military that the VA would be there for me if I needed them. Right now I feel like I got screwed, or did I misunderstand what benefits I could get for serving my country.
Can anyone give me some info that would help me with this issue?

Those funds needed to help you and others are being deverted to support Iraqis. The sad truth my friend! Wish you best and hope you resolve your situation! ;c

actionpup
05-24-2005, 16:18
First, the VA healthcare system is not an entitlement.

With that said, reporting your income to the VA is voluntary. Due to your income status changing with the layoff it sounds like you don't currently make $33K a year so I would speak to the patient advocate or one of the administrators about a reconsideration. I would guess you could establish your primary care through the VA if you clear up the income issue.

sweetbutsassy
06-07-2005, 19:31
Sorry, I was called late to dinner. I am an employee of a VA Hospital and am also a service-connected vet. It is VERY frustrating at times--especially since I am on both sides of the counter. I feel your pain every day that I go into work. I just have this to say: if something doesn't sound right, ask another person. If care is sub-standard, complain to the right person but know that it's not that way everywhere. There are compassionate, caring people like myself in the VA system (not as many as I would like to see). I've heard good and bad about the care (and have experienced both myself) Even I get the shaft from time to time. Luckily I usually can find someone to help me.

I was given a business-sized card one day with the following numbers listed. Maybe these will help you.

VA Benefits 1-800-827-1000
Gulf War Helpline 1-800-749-8387
Life insurance 1-800-669-8477
Education (GI Bill) 1-888-442-4551
Health Care Benefits 1-877-222-8387
Income verification/means test 1-800-929-8387
VA Web Home Page www.va.gov
Mammography Helpline 1-888-492-7844

Also, when you call/visit the hospital, try speaking with either a DAV or PVA rep. If they cannot help you, I bet they know the person that could. Patient advocate is also a good person to contact. Don't give up or in. Good luck.

buddyRoland
06-08-2005, 11:12
Originally posted by Daver308
It is my understanding that unless you were disabled on duty, the VA hospital is only for hardship or emergency cases.
+1
Unfortunately this is the case. I was able to get evaluted properly when I processed out at Fort Hood. If you were awarded anything prior to your ETS then you can get treated for it and get more disability if it worsens. Otherwise they'll only serve you just as Daver308 stated. Don't give up and sorry for your mishaps and thanks for serving.