Installing new line on my reel, how do I do it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing new line on my reel, how do I do it?

Daddybro
04-03-2005, 09:17
I got the trout fishing bug again after a 3 year layoff. I stripped all my reels before putting them away. I need to put new line on them, but am wondering if there are any tricks to it. I always had the sporting goods store put new line on them, but I would like to do it myself. Is there any special knots I need to know? I am worried about a birds nest if I do it, mainly. Also, I have always fished off the bottom. I want to take my 9 year old boy with me this year and use a bobber. What is the best bait to use for this, and how do I rig a bobber? Will power bait work? Sorry for all the dumb questions, I am relatively new to fishing and always went with grandpa, who isn't here to help me along anymore. Thanks!

Pat Brophy

mpol777
04-03-2005, 09:31
The way I was shown way back when was to put the spool of line in a bucket full of water. Feed it through the rod and tie it onto the reel. Then reel in the line using your fingers to keep some tension.

J. Parker
04-03-2005, 10:05
Assorted power baits work great for trout here in Washington State. The PowerBait that looks like salmon eggs worked really great last year. If you use a spinning rod and reel use six pound test or so. For smaller trout I like six pound test because it casts better than heavier line. Also, last year I had good success with smaller spinners like a Kastmaster. What I'm really fond of is ultra-light spinning rods and reels. It's a small reel with a 5' rod and 4 or 6 pound test. Makes a 14" trout feel like a 5lb bass.;f

noway
04-03-2005, 11:53
spinninng and baitcast reel requires a differemt line insertion. I use a stern line holder and it place enough tension to line for proper line laying.

T-Dubb
04-10-2005, 16:56
you never said what kind of reel you are using. but lining them is all pretty basic. I just use 2 overhand knots an cut the line off as close to the knot as possible. now with the line tied onto the reel an run through the guides take a pencil an put it through the hole in the spool of mono, I like to hold the pencil between my feet an kinda keep it pushed down on the floor to keep tension on the line. an just fill your reel up about 3/4 full of line.

rigging a bobber......just get the basic red an white plastic bobbers with a hook on top an bottom. I would put it about 3-4 feet above your hook.

an bait for trout.....salmon eggs work really well. but if you wanna kill em, try using minnows. an if you do use minnows when you hook them on your hook try an hook them through the lips. they stay alive ALOT longer that way. also cast very softly if you do this

good luck