First car... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First car...

powasky
04-03-2005, 12:25
Basically, I'll be getting my liscence and car (hopefully) later this year. My parents will probably pay for most of the car, although I may have to contribute some cash as well. I'm looking for something "sporty" looking, (ala RSX) but not too expensive. Used would be OK, as long as it isnt too old :D . I'm open for opinions.

streeter69
04-03-2005, 12:38
Thank heavens you not a kid of mine, I would buy you one of these BOATS

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/802748

You can hit anything (just about) and come out it one piece:)

RockinAR
04-04-2005, 20:28
I remember when I turned 16 I threw a fit cause the folks would not buy me a new Mustang GT. Now that I look back on it, I'm glad they didn't, cause I would of tore the s**t out of it anyways. Buy bought me some POS car like everyone else had, and yes, I tore the living s**t out of it.

My kid is going to get a POS like everyone else unless they pay for it.

GoGators
04-10-2005, 19:09
Honda Civic. Proven reliability, and pretty dern good performance with VTEC and a 5-speed. You can carry around 3 friends comfortably and get good gas mileage. I love mine, a 97 EX. I cannot emphasize the manual transmission enough, they rule.

epsylum
04-12-2005, 14:32
I vote for a baseline WRX. Not the STi. Nothing wrong with it. I am just sure it is out of the price range you are looking at.

Anyhow, the WRX is AWD and has a turbo and makes over 200hp. Also it can be had in a wagon form giving you a lot of space to use. If you look they can be had close to 20 grand. Also, I saw a magazine testing the RSX up against a base WRX. The WRX whupped it and it cost less. Not to mention turbo engines are super easy to get more power out of. Replace a chip, the boost goes up and so does your HP (but you reliability goes down if you get too carried away).

Well here's what I would get (heck I want one right now).

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZA&trim=WRX_SPORT_WAGON

ccw_bearcat
04-12-2005, 15:09
Unless your parents are loaded I think a 16 year old's first car should be an old, but reliable, inexpensive car. And preferably it should be decent sized to better protect the occupants incase of a bad wreck. Mine was. I turned 16 in 1997 and I drove a 1985 Chevy Caprice Station Wagon until I went to college and bought my own car. Young kids are almost always going to wreck or damage the car in some way. I took care of my car but very few of my friends took care of theirs. I had one friend that drove a car for 2 years and never even changed the oil. A powerful fast car will also get a young driver in lots of trouble too. Almost everyone I knew in high school that got a powerful sportscar (like a Mustang GT) wrecked it doing something dumb.

Sorry dude, buts the odds say that buying you a nice, sporty late model car is a bad spend of money. You may not be an irresponsible car owner or an immature, bad driver, but in general that's my opinion. Consider yourself lucky that your parents are willing to pay for most of a car for you at 16. I felt lucky to have my mom's old station wagon passed on to me. I felt lucky that my parents gave me $3500 to help me buy a car when I left for college. They did so because I got my first year paid for in full on scholarships. I took that money and paid $7200 for a 1994 Thunberbird LX V6.

Rob1035
04-12-2005, 15:22
I started with a 88 Acura Legend, great car, it was 5 speed, reliable, i could fit my friends and all my crap

I hate to sound like an old person, but getting something nice for a first car is a terrible idea. When (not if) something bad happens, either your fault or others, its a lot better to have an older car get damaged.

I appreciated my newer better cars much more after spending time in the acura. Moved up to a jeep wrangler, and then a 72 Porsche 911. By that time, I had enough responsibility to handle a very hard to drive car like the 911.

CZ-75A
04-12-2005, 17:15
I don't know if I support the "boat" theory, but you definitely wouldn't be getting a subcompact were you my kid, nor would you get anything new.

I can remember when my folks bought me a brand new chevy 4x4 pick-up, pretty much loaded, w/ 350 V-8. I rolled the thing in the rain about 9 months after I got it. I then got a Delta 88 from my uncle, nicknamed "the Bismarck" because it was almost as large as and handled almost as well as a battleship. Best way to stop that heap in the winter was to aim for a curb because she'd keep on going on packed snow.

Live and learn in something expendable that won't make you a casualty when you screw up. I vote for an Accord w/ automatic.

Rich22
04-13-2005, 11:21
Originally posted by ccw_bearcat
A powerful fast car will also get a young driver in lots of trouble too. Almost everyone I knew in high school that got a powerful sportscar (like a Mustang GT) wrecked it doing something dumb.

you really cannot make this generalization about everyone. My parents very nicely gave me a 1996 mustang gt convert brand new. when i was just about 17. The thing never even got so much as a dent in it until i sold it in 2003. Some kids are able to take good care at that age but again i believe that should be up to the parent and their understanding of their own child.

Rich

Rob1035
04-13-2005, 12:17
I'd disagree and agree....

My version of the generalization is that kids that get a sporty car for their first car usually get into trouble

epsylum
04-13-2005, 14:47
Well i diagree, agree, diagree again, and then sorta agree.;f ;f

I had an 86 300zx for my first car. It did get banged up (none too badly). I did dumb things in it, but learned from them. But most of all I learned some great techniques (RWD manual sports car + snow = driftmania) and had a ton of fun in it.

Let your parents know what you want, but don't be ungreatful and whine if they don't get you what you want. After all it is their money.

I just got lucky and got handed a 300zx because my brother got a new car.

Personally I say get the smallest car possible. Once you have a license, EVERYBODY wants a free ride, literally. The smaller it is, the less poeple want to ride in it. My Z only had 2 seats. That didn't stop people from trying to lay down in the hatch area, sit on the passenger's lap and even sitting on the floor of the passenger seat, while the passenger sat indian-style. Besides almost none of them are willing to chip in on gas.

Get what ever you want, but I seriously like the new WRX wagons.

Kcolg
04-17-2005, 09:11
I vote for a car like my first. 1978 Ford Thunderbird, turd brown in color, it had like an 8 foot long hood and was a gas guzzler with the 351 Windsor motor.

Now that I look back at it, I think my parents made that choice on purpose.

They knew I would not be able to cruise much with the heavy gas hog, so no racing. And no girl wanted to get into a turd brown air craft carrier boat of a car, so that solved the teen pregnancy issue.

Those bastards......they kept me alive and out of "some" trouble.

Thanks Mom and Dad ;f

I will do the same for my boys when they get old enough.

vart
04-17-2005, 21:11
The first car that I was allowed to drive around was a pale yellow `61 Ford Ranchwagon with slotted dish mags and a 352 big-block. I then bought my own car about a year later for $300; a `70 Ford Torino 2dr coupe with a 2bbl 302 and about a gallon of bondo.
My parents didn't ever contribute to my vehicle expenses and I think I was a more responsible teen because of it.
I will help out my son (who turned 12 on friday) a little, but I'm not going to just hand him the keys.
He's either going to get my `05 Sentra in 4 years, or a used Ford Crown Vic police interceptor. I'm leaning more towards the interceptor due to it's larger size and rwd.

GoGators
04-18-2005, 14:59
vart,

Why would a car being RWD influence your decision in giving it to your son?

racerkvn
05-06-2005, 22:00
My VERY first car, was a 69 Camaro. My Dad bought it for me as a project that me and him could build together. But the catch was I had to buy all the parts. So I went to work when I was 14 years old, and started buying parts. By the time I was just about to turn 16, Dad sold it, and bought me a 86 S-10. Said I would've killed myself or someone else. Which might have been true, because I wrecked the 4 cylinder S-10 about 3 months after I got my license. Whipped out a parked Cadilac,a tree, and a front porch!! Funny now...but man was my Dad pissed. Made me buy all the parts to fix the truck, myself,(no funding from my Dad), and pay my insurance from then...on.

To tell you the truth, I'm very glad he made me fix it myself. Taught me a lesson, don't act like a fool on the roads, taught me respect, and taught me that when my son gets to be 16, he will not get a new car, and it will not be anything with more power than my riding lawn mower!!

ATI_RAGE_
05-07-2005, 16:47
lol some good stories here. I think alot of guys here are trying to say that you got plenty of time to get the sporty cars later on.

Your first car should be reliable and safe more than anything. Most first cars for first time drivers well don't fair well. I'd kick myself in the butt if I ruined my first car and it was a real nice machine.

Also if you get something sporty as a first time driver you're looking at some huge insurance prices. Cars impact your insurance aswell as your driving record. Something that is fast will be considered as encouragement for you to speed.

I would hold off on the sporty stuff till after college and your 25+ when rates drop.

streeter69
05-07-2005, 22:42
Originally posted by ATI_RAGE_
lol some good stories here. I think alot of guys here are trying to say that you got plenty of time to get the sporty cars later on.

Your first car should be reliable and safe more than anything. Most first cars for first time drivers well don't fair well. I'd kick myself in the butt if I ruined my first car and it was a real nice machine.

Also if you get something sporty as a first time driver you're looking at some huge insurance prices. Cars impact your insurance aswell as your driving record. Something that is fast will be considered as encouragement for you to speed.

I would hold off on the sporty stuff till after college and your 25+ when rates drop.

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

Yep.....Unless your parents offer to buy it for you AND pay for insurance.

I know I ran over one hell of alot of garbage cans, mail boxes, did lawn jobs, went thru fields, 12 plus people in the car. Thank god for my neighbor being the judge;f

ATI_RAGE_
05-07-2005, 22:51
Originally posted by streeter69

I know I ran over one hell of alot of garbage cans, mail boxes, did lawn jobs, went thru fields, 12 plus people in the car. Thank god for my neighbor being the judge;f

Neighbor was the judge huh?

" Damnit you ran over my trash can I'll see you in court! And trust me you will be found guilty."

streeter69
05-07-2005, 23:58
Originally posted by ATI_RAGE_
Neighbor was the judge huh?

" Damnit you ran over my trash can I'll see you in court! And trust me you will be found guilty."
;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

I heard that before *20 years ago*;f

SIGSAREBETTER
05-08-2005, 00:13
Look into a Ford Focus. Sporty, economical, safe, and fairly low to insure provided you get a sedan/wagon. I love mine.

LoadedGlock
05-15-2005, 16:26
Sporty cars for young drivers usually come with high insurance prices, and is exactly what cops are looking for when pulling folks over. I recomend something thats economical and practical, but to each his own. If you got the money to do it, get a subaru(?) WRX or that new 4-wheel drive passenger car (forgot the name of it).

Ramtuff
05-16-2005, 14:50
My frist car was a 1986 Fiero. I payed about $1500 for it, and fixed it up over the years to become a show winner. I still have the car, almost 10 years later, and I don't think I'll ever part with it.

I'd say it's a good first time driver car. Very sporty looking (chicks love it), very safe (only US made car without an airbag to recieve a 5 star safety rating), cheap to own/operate, and if you get the 2.5L it's peppy but not a speed demon.