Recommend finger-shooter's bow [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend finger-shooter's bow

bluemeanie
04-04-2005, 21:12
It's been awhile since my last flirtation with archery. I shot with a release, just like the big boys told me to.

It just made me feel sort of handcuffed to my bow, and didn't feel much like archery. I'm told I'd have a tough time shooting my 38" Fireflite Express that way(and since when is a new bow a bad thing?).

I've surfed on the subject a bit, but most manufacturers don't seem to put recommendations for what style of shooting their bows are designed for.

So what's out there now for the prospective bowhunter who wants to release the old-fashioned way?

ithaca_deerslayer
04-05-2005, 07:53
I don't know, because I haven't been bow shopping in a decade.

But I like finger release, too. I've used a mechanical release for target shooting, and there are some benefits, but not enough to replace finger release.

When hunting, it is nice to have a warm glove and know I can shoot with it.

bluemeanie
04-05-2005, 10:02
Originally posted by ithaca_deerslayer
I don't know, because I haven't been bow shopping in a decade.

But I like finger release, too. I've used a mechanical release for target shooting, and there are some benefits, but not enough to replace finger release.

When hunting, it is nice to have a warm glove and know I can shoot with it.

Is a bow with a long (over 40") axle-to-axle length necessary? Deep brace height? How deep is deep? I've also heard I need a let-off no greater than 50% which seems tough to find anymore.

Also, what part of upstate NY are you in? I'm flying out of Rochester in the morning, and, except for cool temps, I've enjoyed it thoroughly. Great people, both at the Ginna powerplant and in the surrounding area. I worked 6 12hr shifts a week and commuted 2 hours a day, but I still made time to pick up a few bottles of Ice Wine to take home.

ithaca_deerslayer
04-05-2005, 11:39
I'm SE of Roch, and NW of NYC :)

In NY, 65% let off used to be the legal max, but now I don't think there is a max (as long as you still have to hold it back on your own). 35# is still the min draw weight.

I would suggest going to an archery shop and trying some bows out to see what feels most comforatble to you the way you shoot.

I can't imagine why someone told you to only get 50% letoff max.

A_Swede_17_1911
04-07-2005, 17:37
I know that the high let off bows dont really pull the string from your fingers. With 38" axle to axle lenght I think you should be able to get by shooting fingers. Brace height far as I know longer the brace hight the more forgiving the bow is which is important when shooting fingers. Also a bow I would suggest is the Bow Tech Pro 40, which I know of a couple of finger shooters back home that liked that bow when it came out. Like someone already said, you might just want to shoot a buncha bows and find out which one works the best for you.

bluemeanie
04-08-2005, 10:07
When my work season winds down in early may, I guess the test drivin' will commence. I have heard of a couple of good archery shops around who will take the time to set you up right, and not try to steer you into something you don't want.

Hopefully that extends into ordering a coupe of bows they might not normally stock so I can shoot them. I'll start with the old Fireflite just to see if it doesn't fit the bill.

Swede, that was the ratinale behind the thinking in searching for a bow without excessive let-off, that a finger-shooter could acheive a cleaner release if he was holding a litle more poundage. As in all things, I'll test it out myself, to see if the advantage is enough to give up my ability to hold and wait on an animal to step out into a shooting lane.

I will add the Bowtech to my shopping list, along with the Darton Tundra, and one of those high-dollar Hoyts (can't remember the model names, but it seems you can order any handle with just about any combination of limbs or cams you want, it seems.

Thanks, fellas

noway
04-09-2005, 20:47
Dumb question, whould the finger pinch be unbearable and not casue good arrow flight? I could never understand why somebody would want to buy a compound and then use fingers on them.

Most compound bows ( training wheels ;) ) don't work good for finger release, thus thats why alot of various styles of mechanical rls jobs are on the market.

Dogbite
04-19-2005, 20:00
I was in the same boat for quite a while.I have shot since i was very young with fingers.The guys down at the archery shop were amazed that i could shoot well with fingers(on a modern darton compound)and made a big deal about it.After years of shooting compounds,i went back to shooting what i started with--a simple stick bow,and i love it.I think people get techno-crazy--sights,releases,this device,that device.It was so much fun shooting a long bow,that i gave my compound to a friend.Have you ever seen the Fitzgerald family hunting show?? They shoot modern compounds with no sights and fingers--I dig those guys.I have seen them make some amazing shots on game--with no techno crap on their bow.

bluemeanie
04-20-2005, 07:11
Originally posted by noway
Dumb question, whould the finger pinch be unbearable and not casue good arrow flight? I could never understand why somebody would want to buy a compound and then use fingers on them.

Well, there are at least a few 40" bows I've found that still suit a finger-release, and Darton actually recommends their Tundra Extreme for that. Some folks just like a bow they can hold for while.

Dogbite, I think I'm going to start by trying my PSE with fingers and if that works out okay I may get a stick bow for a spare toy.

If I shoot a longer compound that feels way better, I'll probably just stick with that. This all occurs when I finally get home, probably sometime in May.

ithaca_deerslayer
04-20-2005, 13:02
Originally posted by noway

I wear a leather glove. Just seems natural to me. You know, I crawling through the brush holding my bow, and my hands are sifting through the brush, and then I get where I want to be and I'm ready to shoot.

What I like about a compound is:
1. The wall, where I know how far I've pulled back and where to release from.
2. Obviously, the letoff so I can pull back and hold for a while.

A_Swede_17_1911
05-02-2005, 17:20
You asked about the Brace height. I belive the magic length is about 7" the more over 7" you go say to a 8 3/4" brace is going to be more forgiveing than a bow with a 5 3/8" brace height. I think you should be fine with you 38" PSE. The biggest thing with the shorter bows is finger pinch from what ive heard. Even though I shot a Hoyt Gamepoint when i was about 11-12 years old with fingers and that kinda short, and I didnt have any finger pinch.

Have you thought about shoot a back tension release instead of a caliper style? You shouldnt feel as handcuffed to you bow. It might be something worth trying.

Im just getting back into archery again, after taking about 4 years off. Time in the Army just got in the way. Im now just getting back into doing the things I enjoy.

MrMurphy
05-07-2005, 20:21
www.woodbows.com

Bows. The old fashioned way. :)