Help me design a Special Purpose First Aid kit... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me design a Special Purpose First Aid kit...

Big Bird
04-04-2005, 22:24
I am a member of a foxhunting club--horses, red jackets, hounds...you get the picture. It can be pretty rough and at least once a year somone in the club is involved in some major trauma. We ride pretty fast and hard across country, over fences, etc.

The injuries I have seen involve either mostly minor lacerations Such as to the face from riding through the woods and a branch or a vine will snag your face or exposed skin, sometimes an eye.

Concussions from being thrown (Been there done that...don't remember most of it)

And the most common is broken bones...collarbones, fingers, ribs (from falling or having the horse roll on you if it falls) and of course broken limbs. Last year a fellow was kicked by another rider's horse below the knee and it shattered his lower leg bone and knee. Last month I watched a horse loose its footing going over a fence, go head over heels on top of his rider...concussion and broken ribs. About every three years or so somebody gets hurt bad enough to call in the chopper...

The good news is we have several MDs that regularly ride with the club. Bad news is none is a trauma/ER doc. We have a Orthopod, a General Prac. a Cardiac Surgeon, a Podiatrist (Is that a real doctor? ;f ) and a radiologist. We also don't have a good first aid kit. Obviously this isn't something that can be carried with us on the horse. But something our dog handler can keep in the 4WD hound truck and be brought forward on short notice with a call on a Walkie Talkie.

So based on that information can you give me some help putting together some basic supplies and instruments keeping in mind that we do have real MDs with us. Size isn't too vital since it will be in a truck. We expect to spend perhaps $300 but cost isn't a primary consideration. I'll proably use a Pelican type hard case since this thing will be kept under hard conditions in all kinds of weather with lots of dust/mud etc. (think farm truck) Also be mindful that this will almost always be in a remote rural location and in most instances getting a "meat wagon" close to the injured person will not be practical and he most often is initially moved in the back of a 4WD pick-up. So getting him stablized for such transport is a concern. Obviously serious neck/back injuries will almost always be a chopper ride.

Thanks and Tallyho!

Slinger646
04-05-2005, 22:57
for that kind of money, you can outfit yourself with a basic jump bag like we carry on the trucks. I would invest in a SAM splint, a ton of 4x4s, some quick clot, etc. maybe some c-spine gear and an pneumatic splint.

Rob72
04-07-2005, 13:00
I love vacuum splints, but it depends on your ability to get them back and decontaminate them, for cost effectiveness. http://www.goemsusa.com/en-us/dept_298.html
This was the only site with an actual price listed, so it looks like about $300 should be able to get you a very complete set-up. The other goodies, 2x2, 4x4 bandages, gauze, etc., you can pick up from Wally world, or the local med supply pretty reasonably.

One of those things I keep promising myself I'll get.:) I'd like to have a set at the house, "just in case", for us. I've had several people comment on the comfort in application with vacs.

Big Bird
04-08-2005, 09:07
I have seen the SAM splints...they look very interesting! Are they quick and easy to use? I saw you can buy a whole set for $19...

I did pick up an Army M3 Medic Bag this week. When I was in the Army I went through the Combat Lifesaver course and carried this bag on my tank with me. I still have quite a few NIW triangular bandages from my Army days and of course these come in handy for slings etc. I added a stethoscope and BP cuff since we do have some older people riding with us. It comes with some EMT shears which might come in handy if we have to cut through some leather boots, leather tack, or heavy riding clothes.

Oh yeah, and a pistol for the horse...;)

N2DFire
04-13-2005, 21:00
well I'm gonna blow yer budget all to pieces, but I'd suggest a vacuum mattress because it can be compacted to take up less space that a regular or folding backboard, but once all the air is removed it's a great immobilizer. I'd also suggest the Stiffneck Select collar as it can be adapted to fit a wide variety of people and you only have to carry 1 collar.

Other than that - the basic complement of splints and bandages should take care of most everything. Also be sure to toss in ice & hot packs and a couple of those "space blankets" are never a bad idea.