Do you carry BSI off duty? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry BSI off duty?

357wheelgunner
04-05-2005, 17:57
I'm in a First Responder Class right now, and I've noticed some EMTs or FRs carry rubber gloves and a compact CPR mask everywhere they go. How many of you all do this, and how? My wife saw someone with a little pouch on their hip and told me that I need another pocket stuffer like I need a hole in my head...

357wheelgunner
04-05-2005, 17:58
One more thing....If you came upon a stranger in need, and did not have appropriate BSI gear, would you help? Is it worth the risk of contracting a horrible disease to help a stranger?

NWR2000
04-05-2005, 20:50
No I don't carry any BSI and no I wouldn't help a stranger without it. I'm too important to my family for that.

FireGuy
04-05-2005, 21:16
I keep a pocket mask (not the little fold up type) and several sets of gloves in the car. There's also a special purpose first aid kit with the same type mask in my dive kit. The last set is at home - same idea - first aid kit and mask. Why? It's for ME. If you're surfing this forum, you know how much more effective the masks are compared to plan ole face to face contact. It's also a good way to protect yourself from the diseases that are in our society. Hate to pick up something and then take it home to momma. Finally, it's protection from the nasty lawyers. In most states you are required to perform to the limits of your training - NOT having a pocket mask would seem to be dangerous if the question was ever asked.

"At Work" - well, we have a very large kit in each of the SUVs. We're worried about "high velocity heavy metal poisoning"...;P

That said, be very wary of those that seem to seem to be driving a "mini rescue rig". I knew a guy that carried a full set of extrication tools - he even had a power unit. He needed help...;f

jlw_84
04-05-2005, 21:27
A common practice in my area is to go directly to the scene from your residence if the crew needs additional assistance.

I carry a bag in my truck with basic essentials, gloves & mask are a part.

lomfs24
04-05-2005, 23:27
Originally posted by FireGuy
"At Work" - well, we have a very large kit in each of the SUVs. We're worried about "high velocity heavy metal poisoning"...;P

Are you talking about HVLT? (High Velosity Lead Therapy)

lomfs24
04-05-2005, 23:38
I was issued a regular EMT jump kit by my department for me to take home and have... not sure why... I guess it's so when I respond I have yet another bag to carry because all the rigs have their own jump bag as well. It stays at home beside my fire gear bag. We don't have lockers at the station.

In my car I carry a basic first aid kit with some tape, gauze, band aids, hand sanitizer etc... basic stuff. Along with gloves, a couple masks, and a mouth-to-mask outfit. I carry this for pretty much the same reason FireGuy does. It's for ME.

If I were to happen upon a scene before anyone else and I didn't have BSI I would not be the first to jump in and help. I would offer direction and instructions to the injured person but I would not do CPR without BSI. Not in today's world. Seems kinda cold and heartless but it doens't seem right that my kids should have a dad that is sick with some horrible illness (or dead) that I contracted while saving the person who gave it to me.

TerraMedicX
04-06-2005, 09:28
The longer you've been doing this, the less you carry on your belt!
When I first started in EMS I used to carry around gloves and a pocket guide and a full pocket mask (also the dome-type) in my pants ALL THE TIME! ;g
These days...well its a good day if I remember to bring my trauma shears and a pen to work!! That's just the way things go...paramedics save lives, EMTs save their paramedics (from themselves most of the time!)

Nate.

oldstyle
04-06-2005, 10:21
The best thing you can carry is a cell phone. I keep some basic aid in the truck but it's mostly for our own problems.

Charlie Fox
04-06-2005, 11:41
I usually keep a BSI kit handy in the car. I try not to stop if I don't need to, but I won't treat anyone without gloves at the minimum!

Alpha752
04-06-2005, 15:14
I keep a basic kit in the car (gloves, gauze, tape, thats about it).
I have a Laerdal keychain cpr barrier on my keys, and usually have a pair of gloves in a pocket somewhere.

Ill stop and try to help, but its mostly just calling the big red flashing truck to come do the real work. When I am at my security job, I am our first responder, and have a more inclusive kit there.

Westicle
04-07-2005, 03:55
I have a small First Responder kit in my truck, other then that no.... carrying all that stuff all the time gets tedious.

as was said, the longer your in it the less you carry..... with the exception of my personal jump kit that I use for work, that dam thing just gets hevier and heavier. (going to split my ALS and BLS stuff into two seperate bags.)

DaleGribble
04-08-2005, 07:55
I carry one of those small shields on my key chain and that's it.

Glkster19
04-10-2005, 22:29
Originally posted by TerraMedicX
The longer you've been doing this, the less you carry on your belt!
These days...well its a good day if I remember to bring my trauma shears and a pen to work!! That's just the way things go...paramedics save lives, EMTs save their paramedics (from themselves most of the time!)

Nate.

Amen to everything here. We carry 2-3 pr scissors in each bus. I only have to remember to grab a pen and my watch.

nam02G
04-12-2005, 10:28
I carry a couple pair of nitril gloves in a nylon pouch on my belt next to my leatherman. I also carry one of the rudimentary masks in a pouch on my keychain. I've got a jump kit in my Jeep with a better mask and lots of other basics. Yes, I will stop and help because I do have my BSI gear on me at all times.

N2DFire
04-13-2005, 21:17
I have to wear "Dress Casual" at work so i do not carry my normal belt gear during the week. Nights/Weekends I have a glove pouch w/ 2 pairs of gloves and $2 in quarters (drink machine money) along w/ my Gerber tool (alpha pager, Fire/EMS pager, and cell phone)

Yea I feel like Batman but it's all required stuff.

In both my truck & my g/f's car (she's an EMT) I have a good first aid kit so I;m almost never far from BSI supplies.

kyfirefreak
05-05-2005, 15:22
Yeah i got the little "keychain" thing w/ pair of gloves & barrier. Got a trauma kit in the trunk w/ all kinds o goodies also.

DScottHewitt
05-10-2005, 13:11
Originally posted by 357wheelgunner
I'm in a First Responder Class right now, and I've noticed some EMTs or FRs carry rubber gloves and a compact CPR mask everywhere they go. How many of you all do this, and how? My wife saw someone with a little pouch on their hip and told me that I need another pocket stuffer like I need a hole in my head...

TWO pocket masks. Gloves in each box. CPR mask in the jumpbag. Plenty of gloves in the jumpbag in the car. (Used a pair last week after the Monday night class.) I stopped to help on a head-on MVC. Was holding c-spine on a lady while they cut her out of the car. Put gloves in first. Only thing I used that night.....

Scott

;b

DScottHewitt
05-10-2005, 13:12
Originally posted by 357wheelgunner
One more thing....If you came upon a stranger in need, and did not have appropriate BSI gear, would you help? Is it worth the risk of contracting a horrible disease to help a stranger?

Why I carry supplies. So I don't have to make hard ethical choices.....

Scott

;b