Prairie Dog Hunting Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Dog Hunting Questions

Falling Crow
04-06-2005, 10:16
I'm heading out west to hunt prairie dogs late next month. As this is my first time at this, what should I take? I have the gun, ammo, rangefinder, etc.. I'm talking about tips on the "small things" from any veteran PD shooters out there that can make or break a trip, or just make it alot easier or more fun (chairs, shooting tables, sunscreen, etc.). Any advice you can give would be great.
Thanks! ;f

nipperwolf
04-06-2005, 17:49
hopefully, this is what you'll see! (http://www.dogbegone.com/video/opening1.wmv)

;f

Aus
04-07-2005, 23:25
Funny,
dogs don't come up till May at the earliest.

Falling Crow
04-08-2005, 07:24
Originally posted by Aus
Funny,
dogs don't come up till May at the earliest.

We're heading out in late May.....

tjpet
04-08-2005, 11:18
I'd take along a couple of fishing poles, too. If the dogs are thick it's nice to break away from the killing for a time. Catch a few fish, clean the guns, and suck down a couple of cold ones to clear the mind.

Our usual routine is shoot dogs from 8-12, lunch, fish 1-4, then hit the dogs again for a couple of hours before supper. This is in high population years. If the dog count is low you can spend the whole day looking for enough to kill.

ThreadKiller
04-08-2005, 13:11
Water. Elbow pads. Good binocs. Rifle cleaning supplies. Tools for working on rifles and scopes. Shootin' sticks.

I walk through the towns with my trusty Rem 700V 223 and a fanny pack with about 200 rounds in it. Most of the towns I hunt in western Nebraska mean moving around on foot and that means being mobile.

Tim

Livetohunt
04-21-2005, 20:18
Guns
Ammo
Water
Sunscreen
Bugspray
Rangefinder
Binoc's
Spotting Scope
Kneepads
Elbowpads
Water
Tweezers for cactus needles
snacks
cleaning supplies
maps
cell phone

We usually go the first weekend in June. Lately we have ditched the bolt guns for AR15's......

Have fun!!!!!!!

DJ Niner
04-22-2005, 02:23
I recommend a small .38 Special revolver with shotshells to dispatch any legless reptiles in your vicinity. Rodent colonies attract snakes, snakes like shade during midday, you and your gear MAKE shade at midday. :)

I was out for gophers just last weekend; here's my current sod-poodle/gopher gun sitting in the field I was hunting: