Write left handed, left eye dominent, but shoot right handed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Write left handed, left eye dominent, but shoot right handed

solie
04-06-2005, 11:38
Is anyone else like this?

I eat and write left handed, but I play all of my sports right handed. I shoot pistols with my right hand but I shoot rifles left handed due to the fact that I am left eye dominent.

Anyone else have this problem?

It can get aggrevating

OSSI
04-06-2005, 19:57
I'm a 100% lefty, I couldn't hit a nail with a hammer with my right hand. Using scissors I do it with my right hand, couldn't do it with the left, because when I was young there where no lefthanded scissors.
I have no dominat eye.
I shoot handguns lefthanded with left eye, but I shoot rifles righthanded with right eye. Again because when I had my first experience with rifles, they all where right handed.

spin180
04-06-2005, 21:05
Originally posted by OSSI
I shoot handguns lefthanded with left eye, but I shoot rifles righthanded with right eye.

I do exactly the same... ;g ;f

solie,

Shooting righty longguns and lefty handguns has never really bothered me. I started out shooting both right handed, but eventually changed.

Have you tried shooting handguns with your left hand much? Maybe you can convert to the way of the righteous... or lefteous, as it were. ;e ;f

DAVEKO
04-12-2005, 17:29
Yes, I am ambi. also left eye dom. and left handed, if you take approx 30 minutes to switch to the left hand for shooting you will not be sorry. It really does improve accuracy due to the left eye, and left hand combo........dave.......

chilipowder
04-15-2005, 20:11
wow a thread for lefties... :cool:

heres my case:

i shoot pistols left handed w/ left eye...but more comfortable w/ rifles right handed w/ right eye...

writes w/ the right, but had to handle scissors w/ the left :)

6lock3d
04-17-2005, 16:52
I am like that- golf, baseball bats, tennis raqs. etc with the right. BUT- I have to shoot left handed.

mud390
04-17-2005, 17:22
I'm left eye dominante, and used to shoot long guns righty, but pistols lefty. It was a little uncomfortable, but I did alright and the guns are cheaper. I taught myself to shoot lefty with long guns and I do much better in all positions (standing, kneeling, prone) and I am much more comfortable. Just take a day at the range and try shooting lefty all day and see how you do. After time it will come natural. I can still shoot right, but not near as accurate anymore.

Kris

old_ironsights
04-19-2005, 15:05
If you are left-handed and have a dominant left eye, you are blessed! Practice left-handed, shoot left-handed and it will quicky become natural to you.

The reason that most of us lefties do things right-handed is because we were taught by right-handers, or simply because there isn't a left-handed option. I think that the Marines borrowed their "adapt and overcome" attitude from us lefties!

I learned to shoot rifles right-handed, because I am right-eye dominant, and 99.9% (my own statistic) of rifles are manufactured for right-handers. And, the M-14 puts hot brass down the neck of left-handed shooters. Also, in the Army, I was taught to shoot my .45 right-handed, and there were only right-handed holsters. My right-eye dominance helped there, too.

With a little time...and ammo...to spare at qualification, my DI said he was taking all the credit when I qualified "expert" right-handed AND left-handed.

Short Cut
05-05-2005, 15:46
Originally posted by solie
Is anyone else like this?

I eat and write left handed, but I play all of my sports right handed. I shoot pistols with my right hand but I shoot rifles left handed due to the fact that I am left eye dominent.

Anyone else have this problem?

It can get aggrevating

That's exactly the way I am. I don't see it as a problem though. I'm just used to it I guess.

royal glockster
05-06-2005, 09:14
i am right handed but left eye dominant. At first, I find it hard to hit the target. Somebody told me not to close my right eye when aiming, instead he told me to open both eyes then frown, have a tiger look as if both eyebrows meet. I can now see the front sight well and now able to hit the target accurately. But when it comes to rifle, I'm a lefty since i have to peek at the sight using my left eye. I'm used to that. Right handed to pistols and left handed to rifles. Someday I try to train my left hand regularly on pistols.
;)